Against A Wall

bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
edited June 3, 2010 in Street and Documentary

Comments

• FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2010
    #1 - that one really speaks to me. Creepy. Strange. Enigmatic. 3 Wows!

Virginia

Email
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2010
    Flyinggina wrote: »

Virginia

One AND two for me. (Though I'd work on the tonality of #1 a bit. A little too gray and flat?)
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2010

Virginia

Excellent to hear but I have to ask did you really mean #1.
    I ask because I personally attribute those descriptions to #2.

I do think #1 is strange only because of the models (if we can call him that :D) pose and of course the Wall.

#2 outside of what I said above reminded me of the line, "I'm ready for my close up Mr. Demille."
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator
    edited June 1, 2010
    bdcolen wrote: »
    One AND two for me.

nod.gif Both are fine pics. thumb.gif
    edited June 1, 2010
    bdcolen wrote: »
    One AND two for me. (Though I'd work on the tonality of #1 a bit. A little too gray and flat?)

Thanks B.D. I'll take another look at it.
    Richard wrote: »
    nod.gif Both are fine pics. thumb.gif

Good :D
  • PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2010
    #1 for me.
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer
    ... I'm still peeling potatoes.

patti hinton photography
  • Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited June 1, 2010
    #1: is OK, but I agree with B.D. …and I think I would have cropped different (f/g band of white…)

#2: I'm still trying to work this one out. The focus is OK (wall & background & part of girl's eyelashes, arm, edge of scarf) - but the fact that he's blurred means that he moved; he's looking at the camera, my take is that he might be heading for the photographer (uh, oh - look out, Benjamin! eek7.gif ). The fact that he's looking directly at the camera worries me…

Mmmm…

- Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited June 2, 2010
    bfjr wrote: »
    Excellent to hear but I have to ask did you really mean #1.
    I ask because I personally attribute those descriptions to #2.

#2 outside of what I said above reminded me of the line, "I'm ready for my close up Mr. Demille."

Yes, I meant #1. It's the juxtaposition of the man against the wall and whatever the guys are doing on the right then the surrealist touch of the back of the car to the left. I just really like the capture.

For some reason #2 is a miss for me. Objectively, I can see why others like it, but it just doesn't pull me in. Don't know why. (I am not bothered by the guy looking at you - I rather like that sometimes - can add an interesting edge and, although many if not most might consider it a no-no in street to have anyone in the photo looking at the photographer, the photographer is sometimes part of the scene and people's responses to that can be interesting.)

Virginia

Email
    edited June 3, 2010
    Yes, I meant #1. It's the juxtaposition of the man against the wall and whatever the guys are doing on the right then the surrealist touch of the back of the car to the left. I just really like the capture.

For some reason #2 is a miss for me. Objectively, I can see why others like it, but it just doesn't pull me in. Don't know why. (I am not bothered by the guy looking at you - I rather like that sometimes - can add an interesting edge and, although many if not most might consider it a no-no in street to have anyone in the photo looking at the photographer, the photographer is sometimes part of the scene and people's responses to that can be interesting.)

Virginia

Thanks loads for that.
    Hey here's something we see differently for a change. :D
    I do like #1 for all you mentioned but #2 has all the ambiguity for me.
    Truth behind that image is way different then it looks.
    edited June 3, 2010
    Patti wrote: »
    #1 for me.
    Wil Davis wrote: »
    #1: is OK, but I agree with B.D. …and I think I would have cropped different (f/g band of white…)

#2: I'm still trying to work this one out. The focus is OK (wall & background & part of girl's eyelashes, arm, edge of scarf) - but the fact that he's blurred means that he moved; he's looking at the camera, my take is that he might be heading for the photographer (uh, oh - look out, Benjamin! eek7.gif ). The fact that he's looking directly at the camera worries me…

Mmmm…

- Wil

Patti thanks
    Will I'll work on it, honest :D