Florida Baseball

ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
edited February 18, 2008 in Sports
I have never shot baseball before, but since I did so well at football (and its the same coach) - I have an unlimited pass to the dugout. That makes things slightly easier!

The backgrounds are especailly tough. Chain link fences in the sun reflect too much, so I did a bit of dodging and burning, perhaps too much.

Thanks to all your all's help here, I was able to improve in football. Could you please provide the sime kind of critique on these?

Thanks,

Z
It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.

Comments

• DblDbl Registered Users Posts: 230 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2008
    I hope I can help you out a bit with some ideas. I hope you don't mind if I post some shots to give you an idea of what I am talking about.

The first thing I would suggest is to make sure you are getting as low to the ground as you can. This is one sport that a shot low to the ground will always stand out from what everyone else is doing. This is from a game a week ago in Minneapolis, no outdoor baseball up here yet! So I unfortunately couldn't use an extremely high shutter speed. I prefer at least 1/1000s for youth ball at the high school level which it looks like you had here at least 1/1500s and 1/2500s and higher if I can get it. I will always sacrifice ISO and raise it to get as high a shutter speed as possible.

249895067_fGvXP-L.jpg

137539629_nTFkQ-M.jpg

Your first shot while interesting is a bit late. The best shot would have been a second or two before this. I always try and shoot through the play to get the shot you have, you never know how it will turn out. This shot could benefit from tighter cropping and use the fence posts for your verticals to straighten your horizons. Always use a vertical with baseball because the fields themselves have slopes to them.

Your next three shots of pitchers are very stock shots that don't provide much in the way of something that will stand out. Out of the three the last is the closest to what is a good shot. Don't be afraid to shoot very tight here and during warm ups between innings get just to the side of the catcher and get some nice head on angles shot tight. Or during the game get behind the backstop and shoot through the fence.

174381760_kt5VY-L.jpg

This is shoot through chain link. It would be a much better shot if it was cropped even tighter.

137567537_jWuUe-L.jpg

The catcher shot is a pretty good stock shot. I prefer the same shot but with the catcher catching the ball and getting a "smoke" shot from the puff of dust.

You next shot of the play at second from the third base side? Pretty good shot but something with the ball closer to the glove makes it a bit more dramatic. Always shot these plays at the bases and as mentioned above shoot through the play, you never know what you will get.

The batting shot is one that is one I try to avoid. I don't generally like to include the catcher and umpire in the shot. Batters don't usually like shots that they watch a ball go by them. Shoot tighter. Another great angle is to get behind the backstop and shoot more straight on to include batter and pitcher.

64633496_PMLyz-L.jpg

And tighter shots.

145615235_mJT7z-L.jpg

Your play at third is close to being really a nice shot. The cut-off fielder and coach in the way do detract from a reasonably good shot. Its sometimes tough to get out enough on the third base side to get all of that play in. When shooting third base plays I like to be across the field at first and when shooting first base plays I like to be across the field and shooting toward first. You can't always be where you want so just make sure you are using a lens that will widen out enough if you are on the same side of the base.

I use two bodies usually one with a 70-200/2.8 and another with a 300/2.8 often with a 1.4TC on it. If you only have one to shoot with break up the game and shoot certain shots, batting, pitching, then concentrate on fielding plays. That way you can switch lenses to help you with what you are concentrating on.

Places to stand you already have the normal spots, first and third. As you can see I like shots from around the backstop area as well, gives you some very different views. I have shot games from outside the outfield walls shooting back toward the field. Some interesting shots from the outfield don't pass up an opportunity to try that.

This is shot from the outfield, you just can't get this angle from the first base side. The catcher or ump will end up shielding some of the play.

136303470_6iUor-M-1.jpg

All in all you've done an very good job for your first time out. Your exposure and focusing look right on target. You were a bit heavy on the dodging, what will work much better in these high contrast situations is to lower the contrast in your camera. I use a -1 or -2 with this type of lighting.

The best advice I can give you is don't fall into the same rut that all baseball shooters fall into from time to time. Just going through the motions and getting stock shots. You have the freedom to move around the way it sounds, take advantage of that. Good luck with your season, I will be in Florida in just a few weeks covering spring training for college. It will be a welcome change from our cold Minnesota winter. I look forward to more of your shots this season. Good luck.
    Dan

Canon Gear
  • ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2008
    Thanks for all the help. I do hate shooting through the chain link fence - it always seems to get in the way. I shot these with the 70-200f2.8 and this lens diameter is larger than the fence opening. I always seem to have degredation with getting a wire in the way. Are there any secrets to that?

I shot most of these at f4 or f5.6. It was late in the day, the sun is setting into left field and there are no lights. You can of course tell this from the red cast to the shots! No worries about shutter speed at this sun level, but some worries about shade on the players faces. I did shoot many at -1/3ev and wish I had made that -2/3 on many. The white unitforms gave me fits on color and blown highlights.

I found myself poorly positioned for the action many times. A couple of plays, I just watched unfold in front of me. I used to do that in football as well. What I find is that I cannot really watch the game, I must concentrate on the shots.

Yes, some of them are stock like - but the kids love those. I do this so they all have something for their Facebooks - so just being there is key.

Thanks again, I'll keep posting.

Anyone else have any ideas? Lots of views and few replies......

Z
    It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.
  • jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2008
    I like to get either low to the ground or high up. Next time you go, take a latter and get on top of the dugout, or just get higher than the fence if it's a problem. As DBL said, shooting standing up is boring because everybody does that, although that's unavoidable sometimes.

You just have to anticipate and be ready for specific plays. You can't be ready for everything. If there is a runner at 2nd, there's a good chance there could be a play at the plate. If there is a runner at 1st and he is fast, look for a steal at 2nd. Also, there could be a double play. Get behind 1st base and get the SS or 2nd baseman coming off the bag and making a throw to 1st.

I agree about batters not liking to see them miss a strike and looking at the ball. However, if the ball is high and around their chin, it's actually a cool shot if they are not flinching.

You can't get every action. Just be prepared for the action that you can get. If you are behind the plate, you are going to get pitcher shots and plays in the infield. If you are to the side of home plate, practice timing the swing of the bat. If you shoot with both eyes open, you can see the pitchers delivery and you can start to time your shutter to when the swing should happen. Instead of trying to capture the batter when he swings, try to release the shutter as if you are trying to hit the ball. If you notice the batters in the batters box, they time time their swings to the pitch and they end up swinging at the same time as the batter. They are getting a feel of when to pull the trigger.

You are going to be out of position for plays, but if you go around the field AFTER a play thinking you will be in better position now, you will be out of position for the play that just happened AFTER you left. Spend the first couple of innings getting your stock photos, then anticipate the plays and get in position based on whats going on or what kind of shot you want.
  • gman33gman33 Registered Users Posts: 279 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2008
    I think you had great shots and you also received some fantastic advice. I will be shooting BB for the first time this year, so I will see how it goes.

Have fun with it

Ed
    Ed G - Philadelphia, PA
    http://ergphoto.smugmug.com