Video Lights...Documentary, Portable...Suggestions?

HeppehHeppeh Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
edited January 3, 2010 in Video
Hello,
I'm new to Dgrin and tried to find an answer to this question, but it doesn't come up in the search. I appreciate your opinion and help.

What would be a good suggested set up for video lights? I want to do engagement/ first date videos, documentaries, stock, and various other types of shooting. I am at different locations most of the time, but still shoot some stuff in my garage studio. I have all the light stands, softboxes, and equipment you can shake a stick at for the photo side of things, but seriously lacking in video lights. My budget is not huge, so the really expensive equipment is out. Any suggestions on color, size, type, power, and how each setup works or doesn't work well for you?

I'm shooting video with the Mark II (Canon's sample videos got me very excited to try out more video) and have several L series lenses to work with...Please help.
Thanks,
Sean

Comments

• bloomphotogbloomphotog Registered Users Posts: 582 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2009
    I'm a HUGE fan of the ARRI tungsten lighting kits. Top of the line quality, moderate pricing, and most come with a very nice wheeled carrying case.

Check them out here: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?ci=2247&N=4294551170+4291609485&Ns=p_PRICE_2|0

I have used the Softbank D3 & D4 kits extensively. Although, I usually supplement them with a large Chimera softbox. On that note, I'd stick with Chimera modifiers...they are the best I've found for video/hot-light use. (I use Elinchrom for strobes)
  • HeppehHeppeh Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited December 31, 2009
    Hi Josh,

Hey thanks for the reply. Which kit did you find provided you with enough light? Most of my stuff will be basic interview type stuff, no need to light up large open areas (warehouses, automobile shots, etc). I will be doing some manufacturing and product stuff, but most of that will be shot fairly close up.

Any recommendations on educational material for the details of shooting film/video...especially lighting? I have a 20 year background in still photography and while much of this is the same concepts, there is enough that is different to extend the learning curve for me. Throw in the 5D mark II shooting video :)...your help is very much appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Sean
  • bloomphotogbloomphotog Registered Users Posts: 582 Major grins
    edited January 1, 2010
    Like you, I have a still photo background. The lighting principles all carry over, and you may even find it easier to light a scene because of the continuous lighting.

I'd suggest surfing YouTube and Vimeo for lighting and general videography tutorials. There are some real goldmine publishers on there.

For your needs, a "interview kit" sounds like the best fit. I would look for reviews and tests on the various kits available and see what fits you best. I'd suggest at least a 1000 watt focusing open face and a medium fresnel to start(plus the necessary mods). As I said before, the ARRI kits offer the best system for my needs. For about $2000, you can get started with a pro-level, 3-4 head system that will be quite versatile. Be sure to get a bunch of Rosco gels, to handle the different lighting environments you will be shooting in.

As for 5DMK2 video - you probably be best served by surfing the video sharing sites (again). Quite a few folks have published tips/tutorials on the topic. I will soon be entering the DSLR video realm, but for now anything I could share would be second hand.

What are you using for audio capture?
    edited January 1, 2010
    Happy New Year...

Thanks again for getting back to me. I will check out your suggestions.

For audio capture I use one of my Sennheiser ME 66 or ME 67 for on camera mics (usually this handles one of the channels). Then I mic up wirelessly to the subject with the Sennheiser ew100 (transmitter and receiver). My units are a few years old, but work great. The overall metal construction of the units are bullet proof. If I need a stand alone hand-held mic I have the Sennheiser e 855, which is just a basic cardioid mic.

On camera I have the BeachTek DXA-2S. I like that this unit fits right underneath my 5D MII set up and has a coiled cord that stays out of the way. Overall my video gear is fairly mobile and easy to handle. I use the Manfrotto 233B telescoping camera/flash bracket with a microphone mounted to the flash extension and everything else mounted to the camera bracket. I'm looking at the Manfrotto 595B "Fig Rig", but have to prioritize my filming start up costs due to my ever fading budget. :)
  • phillybikeboyphillybikeboy Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
    edited January 1, 2010
    Heppeh wrote:
    Hey thanks for the reply. Which kit did you find provided you with enough light? Most of my stuff will be basic interview type stuff, no need to light up large open areas (warehouses, automobile shots, etc). I will be doing some manufacturing and product stuff, but most of that will be shot fairly close up.

Fir that type of work it's hard to beat Lowel's Rifa lights. Go with the florescent lamps, and they should last damn near forever. Good for closeup work as well.
    edited January 3, 2010
    One thing to note on the sound capture for the 5D Mark II...it is an automatic audio gain. POS! That seems like a no brainer. Problem comes up when you have dead air...the camera starts to increase the gain and picks up static eventually. I'm looking into seperate recording gear.