A bit disappointed...

GadgetRickGadgetRick Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
edited March 11, 2010 in SmugMug Support
I signed on with SM the other day for the 14 day trial to check it out. Had narrowed my photo-site down to two candidates--SM being one. I must say, after 2 days with SM, I'm quite disappointed with the service. If it wasn't for Ann--SM Hero--I'd be totally dead and be done with SM already. Here are some problems I've encountered in 2 days:

-Watermarking tool just doesn't work properly from creation to application of the watermark. I constantly turn the watermark on (for ALL galleries or a single gallery) and SM seems to forget the settings constantly. It's also not terribly intuitive. Ann is still helping me with this.
-Domain Name--seems like if you already have a domain name and are pointing it here, there are issues. Took me 3 or 4 tries and help from Ann to get it working.
-The pricing tool is outrageously confusing and it also doesn't seem to take the changes I've made. Of course, it could just be that I'm confused.
-Downtime--as many of you have reported, there's already been downtime and I'm reading downtime has been more common. Not something I want--or need--in an online service where I plan to sell prints online.

Now, I understand kinks need to be worked out on my end, however, I'm quite comfortable with a computer and I'm confused. What happens when someone isn't comfortable with a computer?

I'm still trying but, at this point, I'm just not sure about SM. I love the community here though and that's the only reason I've not just given up on SM.

Comments

• Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2010
    Hi Rick! It's me, ann, at your service. I am sorry that your having troubles but I am sure we can get them sorted out for you!

Let's deal with your pricing question here.

The first step to pricing is to be sure that you establish a portfolio price list. This price list will apply to all unpriced and any new galleries that you create. It will prevent you from having unpriced galleries available for people to purchase from.

So, to set up portfolio pricing, open a gallery and then click the tools button in that gallery. Scroll down to 'Set Prices' and click that to open your pricing page.

The very first thing to do is click portfolio from the very top of the pricing page.

Next, pick the lab that you want to print your photos by clicking the logo. Then decide if you want photos color corrected or not, by checking (or not) the check box for color correction.

Now to get prices into the price fields. You can simply enter pricing item by item, but if you are looking for a quicker way then you might want to apply a percentage increase to the SmugMug default prices.

You can apply a percentage increase by first using the 'apply this pricing' tool to place the SmugMug default pricing into the price field for 'all items'. Click apply so that the fields fill with those prices. Then go back to the 'apply this pricing' tool and choose percentage increase, set your amount, and apply to all items again. Be sure you hit apply and save at this point. You will be done - although if you want to price digital files you will need to go to that tab and enter pricing for them.

For any items that you do not want to sell - merchandise or particular print finishes or sizes - set those prices to $0 by typing a $0 into that price field or by setting a custom price of $0 with the apply this pricing tool.

Once you have done this, your portfolio pricing will apply to any unpriced gallery and any new galleries that you create. However, you can overwrite it at any time on a gallery or even image basis.

To double check that you have your pricing set up, use the visitor view button on your homepage to see your site as a visitor sees it, and try buying a print.

You can apply portfolio pricing to any already priced gallery by clearing the pricing in that gallery. Leaving the price list empty will cause the portfolio pricing to apply.

You can price particular images differently from the rest of the gallery by clicking the 'image' link top of the pricing page, when you have opened pricing after opening that image. This is useful when you have unusual crops or panoramic images in a gallery.

As always, Rick, we are here for you so please holler with questions. Between the heroes and the great folks at DGrin, we are all happy to help.

ann

GadgetRick wrote:
    I signed on with SM the other day for the 14 day trial to check it out. Had narrowed my photo-site down to two candidates--SM being one. I must say, after 2 days with SM, I'm quite disappointed with the service. If it wasn't for Ann--SM Hero--I'd be totally dead and be done with SM already. Here are some problems I've encountered in 2 days:

-Watermarking tool just doesn't work properly from creation to application of the watermark. I constantly turn the watermark on (for ALL galleries or a single gallery) and SM seems to forget the settings constantly. It's also not terribly intuitive. Ann is still helping me with this.
    -Domain Name--seems like if you already have a domain name and are pointing it here, there are issues. Took me 3 or 4 tries and help from Ann to get it working.
    -The pricing tool is outrageously confusing and it also doesn't seem to take the changes I've made. Of course, it could just be that I'm confused.
    -Downtime--as many of you have reported, there's already been downtime and I'm reading downtime has been more common. Not something I want--or need--in an online service where I plan to sell prints online.

Now, I understand kinks need to be worked out on my end, however, I'm quite comfortable with a computer and I'm confused. What happens when someone isn't comfortable with a computer?

I'm still trying but, at this point, I'm just not sure about SM. I love the community here though and that's the only reason I've not just given up on SM.
  • GadgetRickGadgetRick Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2010
    Ok, was just playing with pricing. Thanks for the extra tutorial there, very helpful.

However, I just tried to order prints myself and two things, every time I click on, "Checkout," I get an empty cart even though I've added items and they show up on the previous screen (where you select what you want). The second thing is, when I select an 8x10 photo, obviously, there's a crop factor. Can the buyer set the crop so they get what they want printed? When I click on the pic showing the crop, it just takes me back to the gallery. I don't know how to adjust that crop.

Thanks.
  • Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2010
    Hi Rick

The empty cart is a cookie issue. Our cart uses a browser cookie to remember your choices, so be sure you have your browser set to accept third party cookies.

Cropping is done during check out. Look to the right of the photo on your order page, and you will see 'Adjust' 'None' and 'Auto'.

Adjust allows the user to adjust the crop.

The no crop option is useful if the print size doesn't have the same aspect ratio as the original photo. The whole photo is printed, albeit with white borders two sides.

http://www.smugmug.com/help/cropping

Auto chooses to center the crop on the photo.

Be sure that you set your galleries up with proof delay. This lets you double check your customers cropping, and fix it before the order gets to the lab.

http://www.smugmug.com/help/proof-retouch-replace

ann

GadgetRick wrote:
    Ok, was just playing with pricing. Thanks for the extra tutorial there, very helpful.

However, I just tried to order prints myself and two things, every time I click on, "Checkout," I get an empty cart even though I've added items and they show up on the previous screen (where you select what you want). The second thing is, when I select an 8x10 photo, obviously, there's a crop factor. Can the buyer set the crop so they get what they want printed? When I click on the pic showing the crop, it just takes me back to the gallery. I don't know how to adjust that crop.

Thanks.
  • GadgetRickGadgetRick Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2010
    Thanks again for your help. Will go check these things out as soon as I have a minute.
  • jachangjachang Registered Users Posts: 183 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2010
    Sorry to jump into your thread, but I'm having a similar problem. I set my portfolio pricing, and did not set gallery or image pricing. So all the portfolio prices show up for everything, just as they should.

However, I just decided to change a couple of prices in the portfolio, but I see that none of the galleries update with the new portfolio pricing. Do I have to go in and change every gallery all over again each time I change a price in the portfolio?

If it does not update automatically, then it would be nice to be able to select all galleries and apply portfolio pricing in one fell swoop. I can't find anywhere to do that.