On the road again.

roaddog52roaddog52 Registered Users Posts: 1,323 Major grins
edited September 5, 2015 in Landscapes
I spent 4 weeks or so in mid June and July bouncing around Montana, Wyoming, S Dakota and Yellowstone. Here are a few images for your viewing pleasure.

#1 Devils Tower

IMG_6161-L.jpg

#2 Yellow Mounds, Badlands

IMG_6310-L.jpg

#3 Yellow Mounds at dusk

IMG_6199-L.jpg

#4 Badlands

IMG_6177-L.jpg

IMG_6306-L.jpg

#6 Bear tooth Pass, wildflowers and Absaroka Mountains

IMG_6424-L.jpg

#7 Yellowstone, Blacktail Plateau

IMG_6413-L.jpg

#8 Yellowstone, Sylvan Pass

IMG_6382-L.jpg

IMG_6382-2-L.jpg

IMG_6383-L.jpg

Your thoughts or critique is greatly appreciated.

Phil
I don't know where I'm going, but I'm going anyway.

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity!

Comments

• ThelensspotThelensspot Registered Users Posts: 2,041 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2015
    Phil, just outstanding work here. clap.gifclap I especially like #6! It's an incredible shot. You did a great job keeping the colors true in all of them. All of these deserves frames and a nice wall on which to hang them. Well done.
    Regards!

P.S. I'm very jealous that you took this trip and I didn't.
    "Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

• StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2015
    #1, #4 and #6 stand out for me! Nice set Phil!thumb.gif
  • CornflakeCornflake Registered Users Posts: 3,346 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2015
    Fine shots! I'd check them for straightness, though. A number of them including 3, 5 and 10 all seem tilted clockwise to me, but maybe it's me. The light in 3 is beautiful. I'm guessing that you tried camera movement on 10 and it was a good choice. I think it's quite effective.
  • roaddog52roaddog52 Registered Users Posts: 1,323 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2015
    Phil, just outstanding work here. clap.gifclap I especially like #6! It's an incredible shot. You did a great job keeping the colors true in all of them. All of these deserves frames and a nice wall on which to hang them. Well done.
    Regards!

P.S. I'm very jealous that you took this trip and I didn't.

Thanks for the kind words. #6 is near the top of Beartooth Pass and I have never seen so many wildflowers there at one time.
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    #1, #4 and #6 stand out for me! Nice set Phil!thumb.gif

Thanks Taz
    Cornflake wrote: »
    Fine shots! I'd check them for straightness, though. A number of them including 3, 5 and 10 all seem tilted clockwise to me, but maybe it's me. The light in 3 is beautiful. I'm guessing that you tried camera movement on 10 and it was a good choice. I think it's quite effective.

Thanks for looking, I have tried the shaking camera technique before, but this is my most successful attempt. I'll take a look at your suggestion to straighten the images. I'm fairly certain that they're level. This is something I face all the time, the terrain may slope, or I'm shooting at an angle to a line that is going away at a slight angle which makes the image appear to be tilted. I try to find a happy medium, but don't always succeed.

• bocoboco Registered Users Posts: 710 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2015
    edited August 22, 2015
    boco wrote: »
    mooie reeks voorkeur voor de vierde.
    grt,boco.

Bedankt voor het bekijken

Phil

• JonaBeth RussellJonaBeth Russell Registered Users Posts: 1,065 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2015
    Gorgeous. #'s 1 and 5 are my favs
    edited August 24, 2015
    Gorgeous. #'s 1 and 5 are my favs

Thank you. They had a wet spring in in the Badlands and the prairies were more lush and vibrant than I had ever seen.

Phil

• El GatoEl Gato Registered Users Posts: 1,242 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2015
    Phil...

Great set of images!!

Wonderfully captured. Brought back memories of my trip to the same area in Sept. last year.

Really, really like #6.

Well done. clap.gif
    edited August 26, 2015
    El Gato wrote: »
    Phil...

Great set of images!!

Wonderfully captured. Brought back memories of my trip to the same area in Sept. last year.

Really, really like #6.

Well done. clap.gif

Thank you. Planning on being back in some of those areas again in Late September.

Phil

• CatOneCatOne Registered Users Posts: 957 Major grins
    edited August 31, 2015
    You said "critique appreciated" so I'll add some.

First, the compositions in these is quite nice. You have a good eye for composition.

The light in all of them is harsh. It's mid-day high-contrast light. And that's distracting.

Of these, #5 and #10 are the most interesting to me. #5 is a good composition; it's just that the light is a bit too contrasty. Either the light was noon or you pumped up the contrast, but it's promising. And #10 shows you decided to mix it up and blur the shot a bit. I like them both, but they could both be improved in capture time or processing. I think #1 is my favorite from a subject perspective; I want to be there and explore it, but the light is a bit harsh.

I think you do have a great eye; the biggest challenge though is getting up before sunrise and shooting within 30 minute before or after sunrise with a tripod, or doing the same at sunset. I strongly advise you to consider this, because your composition is really quite good.
    edited September 1, 2015
    CatOne wrote: »
    You said "critique appreciated" so I'll add some.

First, the compositions in these is quite nice. You have a good eye for composition.

The light in all of them is harsh. It's mid-day high-contrast light. And that's distracting.

Of these, #5 and #10 are the most interesting to me. #5 is a good composition; it's just that the light is a bit too contrasty. Either the light was noon or you pumped up the contrast, but it's promising. And #10 shows you decided to mix it up and blur the shot a bit. I like them both, but they could both be improved in capture time or processing. I think #1 is my favorite from a subject perspective; I want to be there and explore it, but the light is a bit harsh.

I think you do have a great eye; the biggest challenge though is getting up before sunrise and shooting within 30 minute before or after sunrise with a tripod, or doing the same at sunset. I strongly advise you to consider this, because your composition is really quite good.

Thanks, I appreciate you taking the time to view and critique my images.

The light in the images is typically mid morning or later. I was traveling with family and although we saw some great places, photography didn't take first priority on this trip. When I travel for photography my motto is "go early, stay Late"

If you're so inclined, and have a moment to check out some of the images in this gallery https://roaddog52.smugmug.com/Photography/Landscapes/Yellowstone-National-Park/

I checked out some of your galleries and you have some really fine work.

Phil

• joe-bobjoe-bob Registered Users Posts: 368 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2015
    Great shots. Your Badlands shot in particular.
    edited September 5, 2015
    joe-bob wrote: »
    Great shots. Your Badlands shot in particular.

Thanks, This trip had the most vibrant flora that I have ever experienced in this location.

Phil