C&C for rank amateur - First warm day of the season

javierplumeyjavierplumey Registered Users Posts: 131 Major grins
edited March 16, 2012 in People
We've had a really mild winter this year in Maryland, and yesterday my dear wife wanted to get out and enjoy the lovely 80 degree weather. I recently acquired a DX 35mm 1.8 prime lens and I wanted to get out and play with it a little. Some of these are the results. I'm still having a hard time getting used to the focusing with this thing. And I think the lighting (at around 5 PM) was a little harsh. Still, it was a glorious day and the kids had fun. It was virtually impossible getting either of them to sit still after being cooped all winter.

2012-03-12-Lake-Elhorn-003-M.jpg

2012-03-12-Lake-Elhorn-015-M.jpg This one was my son's idea.

2012-03-12-Lake-Elhorn-016-M.jpg

2012-03-12-Lake-Elhorn-027-M.jpg

2012-03-12-Lake-Elhorn-057-M.jpg

2012-03-12-Lake-Elhorn-071-M.jpg

Comments

• reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2012
    That's a cool lens for sure and looks like you had a fun time with it and the kiddos. I really like the 3rd one...nice shot and you avoided the squinties by avoiding direct sunlight on his face.
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2012
    my one piece of advice woudl be to give yourself more room in the shot. you are cutting off limbs and such. Shoot wider.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Moving PicturesMoving Pictures Registered Users Posts: 384 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2012
    #1 - You'll see how the right side of the face is dramatically darker than the left? That's uneven lighting. Several ways to avoid this - (a) fill flash (b) reflector (c) move subject and re-compose.
    #2 - good detail shot. Lots of "amateurs" and more than a few "professionals" miss such opportunities.
    #3 - I'd have been tempted to tilt the camera to lose more dead space above the head and capture more feet/hand. Maybe move back/zoom out - as per other reply on chopping off limbs.
    #4 - it's not a bad shot - but imagine how much better it would have been at the level of the kid. This is a big challenge for a lot of folks: moving to the level of children. Lower is better with rug rats.
    #5 - cries out for some catchlights in the eyes - the fact he's squinting a bit, doesn't help. D'ya have a flash?
    #6 - go lower. Not sure what teh posing is supposed to say here?
    Newspaper photogs specialize in drive-by shootings.
    Forum for Canadian shooters: www.canphoto.net
  • javierplumeyjavierplumey Registered Users Posts: 131 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2012
    #1 - You'll see how the right side of the face is dramatically darker than the left? That's uneven lighting. Several ways to avoid this - (a) fill flash (b) reflector (c) move subject and re-compose.
    #2 - good detail shot. Lots of "amateurs" and more than a few "professionals" miss such opportunities.
    #3 - I'd have been tempted to tilt the camera to lose more dead space above the head and capture more feet/hand. Maybe move back/zoom out - as per other reply on chopping off limbs.
    #4 - it's not a bad shot - but imagine how much better it would have been at the level of the kid. This is a big challenge for a lot of folks: moving to the level of children. Lower is better with rug rats.
    #5 - cries out for some catchlights in the eyes - the fact he's squinting a bit, doesn't help. D'ya have a flash?
    #6 - go lower. Not sure what teh posing is supposed to say here?

1 - I didn't have the flash with me and I wasn't patient enough to try and move around him to get the face fully lit. Excellent point.

2 - Sigh. My one good shot and it was my son's idea.

3 - Agree with you and the other reply.

4 - Agreed. I was trying to get something artistic going there but it didn't quite work out.

5 - He's actually squinting because I made him laugh. My fault.

6 - It wasn't a posed shot. We were wrapping up and my wife told them to check their shoes. My camera was already put away and I just managed to get this one. In fact, these were all candids, but next time I'm going to try and do some actual posting.

Thanks again!
  • javierplumeyjavierplumey Registered Users Posts: 131 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2012
    Qarik wrote: »
    my one piece of advice woudl be to give yourself more room in the shot. you are cutting off limbs and such. Shoot wider.

I wasn't used to the 35mm. I usually shoot wider with my 18mm-200mm. I'll have to be more careful. Thanks for replying, good point.