Options

Sunrise campfire meeting

CCoopCCoop Registered Users Posts: 511 Major grins
edited April 11, 2015 in Other Cool Shots
Campfire meeting at sunrise for a religious service. I want to capture the warmth of the fire on this chilly morning. Really dark, I tell you! I am trying to convey that something warm, human, and hopeful is going on here. Your thoughts on these pics? --Carter

1. 1/20, f/3.2, ISO 1600 #891 IMG_0891-_Easter-X3.jpg

2. 1/40, f/3.2, ISO 3200 #930 IMG_0930-Easter-3.jpg

3. 1/40, f/3.2, ISO 3200 #930 BW conversion IMG_0930-Easter-2.jpg

4. 1/4, f/5.6, ISO 800 #926-2 IMG_0926-Easter-2.jpg

Comments

• Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2015
    My thoughts....not to be taken too seriously....
    #1 The kid with hoodie and his pose is veering my thoughts into something secret....cultish....and the head that got into the foreground is unfortunate
    #2 & #3 are same, but #3 has bit warmth and sweetness....wish the half-guy on right was not there...
    #4 has both half guy on left and half fire on right......so you might be better off if you kept one of those.......
    A distant POV may be something to consider......so whole ceremony fits.....or something dramatic like lower pov with flames in close foreground of the frame, and Padre and candles in background in bokeh above flames.....or something like that.....flames on right....in bokeh....cross above sharp....or vice versa.....or from behind the Padre.....candle out of focus....large fire...sharp.

Cheers!
  • Options
    edited April 7, 2015
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    My thoughts....not to be taken too seriously....
    #1 The kid with hoodie and his pose is veering my thoughts into something secret....cultish....and the head that got into the foreground is unfortunate
    #2 & #3 are same, but #3 has bit warmth and sweetness....wish the half-guy on right was not there...
    #4 has both half guy on left and half fire on right......so you might be better off if you kept one of those.......
    A distant POV may be something to consider......so whole ceremony fits.....or something dramatic like lower pov with flames in close foreground of the frame, and Padre and candles in background in bokeh above flames.....or something like that.....flames on right....in bokeh....cross above sharp....or vice versa.....or from behind the Padre.....candle out of focus....large fire...sharp.

Cheers!

Thanks for your comments. I've got to say, I was so concerned about the exposure in such a tough lighting situation, I paid less attention to the composition and subjects, shooting in darkness against the light of the fire! I was certainly wishing for a wider lens when I reviewed the -chop- at both sides of #4! And in #4 I intended to set up the fire and people in front of the steeple and -dark- sky in the background. But I wasn't wide enough to get the whole scene in, and the sky turned -white- with these exposure settings. Plenty of fun/frustration with the whole shoot. I appreciate your input! --Carter
  • Options
    JonaBeth RussellJonaBeth Russell Registered Users Posts: 1,065 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2015
    To add to that, I would recommend less exposure. Let the night have its glory and swallow up everything just outside of the circle. Remember the romance in a fire is in the way it lights a face in the dark.

Just my opinion of course, nothing more.
  • Options
    edited April 8, 2015
    To add to that, I would recommend less exposure. Let the night have its glory and swallow up everything just outside of the circle. Remember the romance in a fire is in the way it lights a face in the dark.

Just my opinion of course, nothing more.

Yes, exactly. Especially in #4 I realized that I lost the night. The sky is blown out, and it was actually really, really dark. Thanks for looking!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Options
    ThelensspotThelensspot Registered Users Posts: 2,041 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2015
    Carter, these are really nice efforts to capture the spirit of the Eucharist. I agree with Taz regarding #1 but this picture I think comes closest to capturing the light effect you are after. I also really like the B&W efforts. I want to see more shots from you! thumb.gif
    "Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

• Options
    edited April 11, 2015
    Thanks for your comments!