Options

Between Servings

ThelensspotThelensspot Registered Users Posts: 2,041 Major grins
edited April 18, 2015 in Other Cool Shots
DSCN0474-2-7-X2.jpg
"Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

Comments

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,910 moderator
    edited April 17, 2015
    I like the shot, but I think it needs a little more work to make it pop. Perhaps if you brightened it up and increased the contrast a bit, it would be clearer that the guy is peeling potatoes and not just nodding off mwink.gif. Nice composition.
  • Options
    edited April 17, 2015
    Richard wrote: »
    I like the shot, but I think it needs a little more work to make it pop. Perhaps if you brightened it up and increased the contrast a bit, it would be clearer that the guy is peeling potatoes and not just nodding off mwink.gif. Nice composition.

Richard, as always I appreciate your comments. I did make some changes in PS and then when back in LR and darkened up the areas I like in the first pic such as the menu chalk board and the window in the right background. I also decided to tighten the crop slightly on the right.

Revision #2 (now with crop changes as per Eric)

DSCN0474-3-8-X2.jpg
    "Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

• Options
    CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,033 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2015
    Love this shot. clap.gifclap And the second processing does show clearly that he is peeling potatoes. The bowl of potatoes looks more natural as well.
  • Options
    EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2015
    Charming capture Wayne, and I think your revision is an improvement.
    I see several things on the menu I wish I could order, right now!

I'm going to suggest a very slight cropping change - down and in from the upper right to just above the arched window and close to leaves on the right edge.
    This leaves plenty of the scene to enjoy, and will increase the size of the subject somewhat.
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    edited April 17, 2015
    Cavalier wrote: »
    Love this shot. clap.gifclap And the second processing does show clearly that he is peeling potatoes. The bowl of potatoes looks more natural as well.

Thanks Jo! Always appreciate your opinions.

• Options
    edited April 17, 2015
    Earache wrote: »
    Charming capture Wayne, and I think your revision is an improvement.
    I see several things on the menu I wish I could order, right now!

I'm going to suggest a very slight cropping change - down and in from the upper right to just above the arched window and close to leaves on the right edge.
    This leaves plenty of the scene to enjoy, and will increase the size of the subject somewhat.

Eric, thanks for the time and comments. Initially I liked the hanging pot in the right upper background as you see in the original but after reading your thoughts I noticed it had some kind of rag juxtaposed in front of it so I had no problem making the crop changes and added those to the second version shot above. Thanks again!

• Options
    toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2015
    Very nice conversion... improvements helped
    Rags
  • Options
    edited April 17, 2015
    I actually agree with your first instinct and like the pot too - I was thinking of a crop just up close to the extending leaves.
    I also like the wider aspect and the tables in the corner.
    The object doesn't bother me, or, easy to clone to blend-in. Many people may disagree about cloning in a "documentary"
    type image... but I do it all the time when it makes a noticeable improvement... of course, it's usually my little secret,
    because the viewers never know what was there originally.

Thanks for graciously considering our suggestions Wayne, it makes for a fun exchange and beneficial learning experience for us all!
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited April 17, 2015
    Love the re-work Wayne!thumb.gif
    The menu is fantastic!!
    Not sure why old people make such interesting subjects......but they do!
    Cheers!
  • Options
    edited April 17, 2015
    I actually agree with your first instinct and like the pot too - I was thinking of a crop just up close to the extending leaves.
    I also like the wider aspect and the tables in the corner.
    The object doesn't bother me, or, easy to clone to blend-in. Many people may disagree about cloning in a "documentary"
    type image... but I do it all the time when it makes a noticeable improvement... of course, it's usually my little secret,
    because the viewers never know what was there originally.

Thanks for graciously considering our suggestions Wayne, it makes for a fun exchange and beneficial learning experience for us all!

I get to keep the pot!!!! Sorry Eric, I misunderstood the initial crop recommendations. I also like the slightly wider perspective. I took some "artistic liberties" with the appearance of that corner and will post the "slightly" cropped version here. I really appreciate the input. It makes for better photographs in the future! Please let me know what you think.

Version #3

DSCN0474-4-8-XL.jpg
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    Love the re-work Wayne!thumb.gif
    The menu is fantastic!!
    Not sure why old people make such interesting subjects......but they do!
    Cheers!

Taz, I agree. In my work I spent a lot of time working with folks 70 and up and I love the wisdom and perspective they give you. They make almost any picture better IMO.

• Options
    edited April 17, 2015
    Yes, that's what I was seeing... looks great (to me)! thumb.gif
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    edited April 17, 2015
    torags wrote: »
    Very nice conversion... improvements helped

Rags, thanks for your comments!

• Options
    edited April 17, 2015
    Yes, that's what I was seeing... looks great (to me)! thumb.gif

Eric, thanks again!

• Options
    CCoopCCoop Registered Users Posts: 511 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2015
    Love this composition, in particular the balance between the busy menu board and the empty tables, with the man stationed between the two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Options
    edited April 18, 2015
    CCoop wrote: »
    Love this composition, in particular the balance between the busy menu board and the empty tables, with the man stationed between the two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carter, you have a good eye. I was using the chalk menu board and the open window (along with the hanging pot) to balance this shot using the man as the main subject. In addition I thought that the texture of the wood chairs was an added bonus. The tables gave a somewhat "panoramic" perspective (in my eye) to the shot also. This was taken in Greece on the Island of Folegandros. I was just walking with my tour group through this small town and noticed this scene from across the street. If I get the color shot cropped and "fixed up" I may post that as well.

BTW Congrats again on your nice picture and 2nd place honors during the sports & games mini challenge!
    clap.gif