Trouble In John's Canyon

2»

Comments

• WillCADWillCAD Registered Users Posts: 722 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2012
    Thanks for all the info Dave, and even more great pics.

My upcoming trip will be in a rental SUV, so I won't be as limited on gear as you are, and I won't be going far from the beaten paths, either.

I see that you have a GPS attached to the bike, but do you carry a paper map and compass as backup? And what about comms - any kind of radio, or PLB?

I'm really diggin' the new black paint job on your bike. Very StreetHawkish.
    What I said when I saw the Grand Canyon for the first time: "The wide ain't wide enough and the zoom don't zoom enough!"
  • dave6253dave6253 Registered Users Posts: 229 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2012
    WillCAD, I usually plan my trips with paper maps and usually carry them on the trip as well. Paper maps have much more detail as well as a better overall view. No radio or Spot.

A-1 Boss, Thanks for commenting.
  • WillCADWillCAD Registered Users Posts: 722 Major grins
    edited March 24, 2012
    I've been looking through the pics again, just looking without reading this time, and I've picked out a few faves:
    dave6253 wrote: »
    SCHW9544-XL.jpg

I made it to Grandview Point in time for sunset.
    SCHW9821-XL.jpg

I get the tent up and cook dinner as the stars come out.
    SCHW0043-X2.jpg

I wake up alone in the beautiful John's Canyon.
    SCHW0075-XL.jpg

Can't Beat Camping
    1221136825_cqmT6-X2.jpg
    What I said when I saw the Grand Canyon for the first time: "The wide ain't wide enough and the zoom don't zoom enough!"
  • FisheadFishead Registered Users Posts: 130 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2012
    Enjoyed your post tremendously! The images alone would have made a memorable post but with the well thought commentary it all added up to be PERFECT, sorry about your injury though. Thanks!
  • Lesley BrayLesley Bray Registered Users Posts: 143 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2012
    Spectacular scenery, spectacular photography - enjoyed the story too - thanks for sharing.
    Lesley
  • avangardphotoavangardphoto Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
    edited April 7, 2012
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2012
    Great story!! Glad your OK!!!

When I first started reading and viewing the road I thought to myself, what the heck is this guy talking about? I have had my Harley on worse roads.

But when it came to the road you got yourself in trouble................well that's way way beyond anything I would consider even if fueled by a fith of Vodka. :D

Again glad all is well, and thanks for a great post.

Sam
  • jellyfishjellyfish Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited April 8, 2012
    Johns Canyon
    I just wanted to let you know how much I have been enjoying your photos. It has inspired me to start planning a similar trip except on a road bike probably My Shadow or a Kawasaki Concours I am looking at.
    Thanks,
    Jellyfish
    edited April 8, 2012
    Thanks for all the new comments. Be careful jellyfish. Once you start traveling multiple days by motorcycle, you will be addicted.
  • rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
    edited May 31, 2012
    Incredible pictures and story Dave. I am glad that you both made it out ok!! I will check out more of your posts and I really enjoyed this one.

BTW, I think that is an Airborne sticker on the back of one of your cases. If you have served, thanks A LOT for that!!

Take care, Ron
    "The question is not what you look at, but what you see". Henry David Thoreau

http://ront.smugmug.com/
    Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95
    edited May 31, 2012
    Thanks Ron!

The knee is doing well. I went for the first short run last night and it seemed to do okay.

I hope to have another journey to document soon. The plan is for more than 10,000 miles in 3 weeks all the way to Alaska and back. We leave 3 weeks from today.

Preperations Underway
    i-mPjCf56-X2.jpg
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited June 1, 2012
    Looking forward to your Alaska Adventures!
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?