Inheriting properties - Unlisted

melissachristinemelissachristine Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
edited July 26, 2014 in SmugMug Support
I shoot for several companies on an ongoing basis and I need to have a location where they can find their pictures all in one place. I have tried several solutions and I feel like I'm missing something.

1. Unlisted - My favorite option was to have the top level folder for the client unlisted. The problem I found with this solution is that all the folders inside inherit the properties of the top level and the client can't see any of the folders below. What I would like is to have all the galleries below public and just the top level folder unlisted...
2. A custom page - I shoot too many galleries to keep up with this option
3. Event - same as #2
4. Share group - same problem as 1 and doing it manually is the same as 2 and 3.

Am I missing something here?

Essentially what I really want is a password that I can give only the people I want to be able to download images. This would solve the whole problem for me.
pictures.melissalundie.com

Comments

• AceCo55AceCo55 Registered Users Posts: 950 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2014
    Your method number 1 should work perfectly for you ... IF
    1. You top level folder is password protected
    2. All of the sub-folders are set to inherit the settings of the top level AND, AND, AND you DO NOT set any password for ANY of the subfolders

Once a visitor enters the correct password for the top level folder, all of the other lower folders/galleries become visible to that visitor.
    My opinion does not necessarily make it true. What you do with my opinion is entirely up to you.
    www.acecootephotography.com
  • melissachristinemelissachristine Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited July 24, 2014
    Thanks. The problem is, I dont' want the folder to be visible. I want it to be unlisted. When I do that the folders below it inherit the "unlisted" property and they no longer show up when the client browses the folder. Am I missing something?
    edited July 24, 2014
    Here's my example. This is a folder with permissions set

http://pictures.melissalundie.com/Client-Galleries/USASwimming/n-G4VP6
    Password : Temp

The folder is set to unlisted because I do not want it to be displayed in browses. Essentially I don't need people to know who my clients are. Within this folder there are many folders. When you login, I want them to be visible.
    edited July 24, 2014
    My opinion does not necessarily make it true. What you do with my opinion is entirely up to you.
    edited July 25, 2014
    AceCo55 Thank you! I love the second system and I think I'm implement that for some clients. However it doesn't solve my issue for this client. I have tons of galleries for this client. The second system will let me take a client to the unlisted gallery, but the folders within it that inherit the permissions still won't be visible.
    edited July 26, 2014
    Would this work for you:
    Top level folder (CLIENTS) is set to public. Put a link in your NAV menu (so the only way to access these folders/galleries is via this link)
    Subfolders (Client 1 / Client 2 / Client 3) are set to public BUT are password protected (different password for each client)
    Galleries within each of the client subfolders are public ... but set to inherit privacy settings of the Client subfolders (the password for each client only has to be entered once)

Anyone without the password will not be able to gain access to the Client subfolder ... OR ANY OF THE GALLERIES within that folder
    They are effectively "hidden" because without the password, people can't see the galleries - they have no idea if there are one or one hundred galleries within that client's folder

If you go to my homepage, you will see a "PRIVATE" link on my menu nav bar.
    If you click on it you can see I have three subfolders there - but you can't get to any of the galleries within any of them. You can't tell how many galleries are found in each.

?????????????? Just a thought.