Google checkout - not in galleries but as a final option

shrekieshrekie Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
edited April 10, 2008 in Mind Your Own Business
Hi,

I am looking into implementing the Google checkout on my site, but I'm unsure as to exactly where to put the code. I have read through the google checkout site and I actually just want the google checkout as an option at the last stage of checkout and not on any of the gallery pages etc. The wiki says to place the code in the gallery description or captions, but I don't know where to place it if I just want it as an option right at the end (ie. they can choose to use the current smugmug checkout, or choose google checkout).

Also, I've read others in the forum mention that Google checkout is not available in Australia, but I just came across this link, and there also appears to a drop down menu to include most countries with Google checkout now.
http://www.quickonthenet.com/features/Google-Checkout-UK-Canada-USA-Australia-New-Zealand.cfm

Thanks for your help:)

Nelson

Comments

• denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator
    edited March 4, 2008
    shrekie wrote:
    ...I actually just want the google checkout as an option at the last stage of checkout and not on any of the gallery pages etc. The wiki says to place the code in the gallery description or captions, but I don't know where to place it if I just want it as an option right at the end (ie. they can choose to use the current smugmug checkout, or choose google checkout).
    I don't believe it's possible to use google checkout from the smugmug shopping cart. You'll need to put it somewhere else - in a gallery description or photo caption, or in an html-only gallery, and you'll also need to provide a way the customer can send you the ids of the selected photos (along with the desired print size/type).

Have you seen this thread - http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=83981. Maybe there's something there that you can use.

--- Denise
  • shrekieshrekie Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2008
    I don't believe it's possible to use google checkout from the smugmug shopping cart. You'll need to put it somewhere else - in a gallery description or photo caption, or in an html-only gallery, and you'll also need to provide a way the customer can send you the ids of the selected photos (along with the desired print size/type).

Have you seen this thread - http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=83981. Maybe there's something there that you can use.

--- Denise

Thanks Denise. Yes, I looked through that thread but it didn't really answer my question. It seems like it would complicate the user experience by having it, so I might just leave it for the time being:)

Nelson
  • dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2008
    shrekie wrote:
    Thanks Denise. Yes, I looked through that thread but it didn't really answer my question. It seems like it would complicate the user experience by having it, so I might just leave it for the time being:)

Nelson

Well, just my perspective, but I use google checkout for deposits on shoots. There are occassional glitches, but the majority of my clients find it easy and convienant-- doesn't complicate their experience at all.

I still sell prints using SM... I think the key is to make it very clear what google checkout is for (deposits and final payments-- not prints) and keep it all in a seperate gallery than anything where you'd be using SM's shopping carts. In other words, you can't buy photos on the gallery I use google checkout and I don't confuse things by combining google checkout with galleries where prints can be purchased.

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• shrekieshrekie Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
    edited March 4, 2008
    dogwood wrote:
    Well, just my perspective, but I use google checkout for deposits on shoots. There are occassional glitches, but the majority of my clients find it easy and convienant-- doesn't complicate their experience at all.

I still sell prints using SM... I think the key is to make it very clear what google checkout is for (deposits and final payments-- not prints) and keep it all in a seperate gallery than anything where you'd be using SM's shopping carts. In other words, you can't buy photos on the gallery I use google checkout and I don't confuse things by combining google checkout with galleries where prints can be purchased.

Thanks Pete,

I was thinking along those lines as well. I just looked at your site and I think you've set it up very clearly when SM is used and when Google checkout is used. I'm just selling prints at the moment so I'll look into Google checkout for deposits for shoots later on. Thanks again:)

Nelson
  • lcouturelcouture Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited April 10, 2008
    Google checkout
    Okay, this google check out thing is really confusing me. I want to set it up so that customers can pay for their photo session and prints through it. When I log onto Google checkout it is asking me to set up an account and enter my credit card info. Is this the first step? I just dont understand how my clients will view my prices, select what images they want to purchase and checkout through google. Any helpful suggestions???