Untitled Image

lensmolelensmole Registered Users Posts: 1,548 Major grins
edited April 16, 2012 in Street and Documentary

Comments

• RyanSRyanS Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2012
    It may just be me. The boy on the left seems disconnected and has a feeling of being "shunned" or left out by the group to the right. Was that intentional, or is it just my hair-brained interpretation?
    Please feel free to post any reworks you do of my images. Crop, skew, munge, edit, share.
    Website | Galleries | Utah PJs
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator
    edited April 14, 2012
    RyanS wrote: »
    It may just be me. The boy on the left seems disconnected and has a feeling of being "shunned" or left out by the group to the right. Was that intentional, or is it just my hair-brained interpretation?
    I assumed that was the whole point of the pic. ne_nau.gif
  • TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited April 14, 2012
    RyanS wrote: »

That's what makes the photo interesting to me. Otherwise,
    it's just a group of people. With the outsider peering in,
    it makes for a great capture. A few seconds earlier or
    later, it's just a group of people.

It's so often about timing.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • RSLRSL Registered Users Posts: 839 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2012
    Good try, Mole, but there's not enough separation between the kid's face on the left and the scatter of middle-gray values in the bricks. If it weren't for the bricks, the shadow would help, but in this case it hinders. You might be able to improve things with Viveza, but that wall behind is a real problem. Because of the wall, the shot comes off as too busy.
  • lensmolelensmole Registered Users Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited April 15, 2012
    Re Work
    RSL wrote: »
    Good try, Mole, but there's not enough separation between the kid's face on the left and the scatter of middle-gray values in the bricks. If it weren't for the bricks, the shadow would help, but in this case it hinders. You might be able to improve things with Viveza, but that wall behind is a real problem. Because of the wall, the shot comes off as too busy.

I am not sure what you mean ? Does this version improve it ?
    i-MNSVJnL-L.jpg

Does this help it ? version 3

i-KXfrXhT-L.jpg
    edited April 15, 2012
    I do prefer the higher-contrast version, but it brings out more of a problem
    with the bricks. The white spots show up more. I'd go with the high-contrast
    version, but do a little Photoshop magic to darken up all those white areas.

I know purists don't do Photoshop magic, but I don't see a problem with it.
    edited April 15, 2012
    Tony's right. I usually don't like to increase contrast to the point where I begin to lose the relationships between mid-tones, but it helps to raise contrast in this case. I guess what I'd do if it were mine is go back into the color version and start working the various brick colors with Viveza to homogenize them and reduce the contrast between them so the wall doesn't look so busy. Failing that, I'd agree: go with the high contrast version.
    edited April 15, 2012
    TonyCooper wrote: »
    I do prefer the higher-contrast version, but it brings out more of a problem
    with the bricks. The white spots show up more. I'd go with the high-contrast
    version, but do a little Photoshop magic to darken up all those white areas.

I know purists don't do Photoshop magic, but I don't see a problem with it.
    Tony's right. I usually don't like to increase contrast to the point where I begin to lose the relationships between mid-tones, but it helps to raise contrast in this case. I guess what I'd do if it were mine is go back into the color version and start working the various brick colors with Viveza to homogenize them and reduce the contrast between them so the wall doesn't look so busy. Failing that, I'd agree: go with the high contrast version.

Thank you both ! for your input. It is a challenge, but here is one more I would appreciate your thoughts on . Is it an improvement ?
    i-9MNQVHS-L.jpg
    edited April 15, 2012
    lensmole wrote: »
    Thank you both ! for your input. It is a challenge, but here is one more I would appreciate your thoughts on . Is it an improvement ?
    i-9MNQVHS-L.jpg

I don't see a change. How are you attempting to change it?

I don't have Viveza (or know what it does), but I would work
    on those white spots in Photoshop. Perhaps you don't use an
    editing program or you don't feel it's right to do this type of
    editing. Dunno.
    edited April 15, 2012
    Hey thanks Tony ! In the last one you should notice the clothing on some of the boys on the right is darker than the other versions I achieved this by reducing the yellow channel in an attempt to achieve bit more separation from the bricks and that was the main problem that Russ pointed out. The light part of the bricks is what is distracting but very hard to deal with.
    edited April 16, 2012
    Bricks & Mortar
    I think I got it!i-B2qNdqN-L.jpg
    edited April 16, 2012
    That does it. Good job. Much better.
    edited April 16, 2012
    +1
    edited April 16, 2012
    TonyCooper wrote: »
    That does it. Good job. Much better.
    +1

Thank you guys very much appreciated! I did not realize just just how distracting the background was at first,it was a valuable learning process , one I won't forget. thumb.gif