Edison vs Lake Braddock Volleyball

IreneRojasIreneRojas Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
edited September 28, 2010 in Sports
Hi everybody,
I shot the Edison at Lake Braddock varsity volleyball game in Virginia last night. I'd like your thoughts about the photos - what's good, what could be better. Since I'm essentially out of school now, you guys are my editors now. Thanks for your help!

Details: Nikon D700 + 80-200 2.8 @ ISO3200

1025380406_bgkNC-L-1.jpg
Lake Braddock senior Danielle Ager (8) spikes the ball during the Edison at Lake Braddock varsity volleyball game on September 27, 2010. Lake Braddock won 3-0.

1025380085_LDkGC-L-1.jpg
Lake Braddock senior Tara Everhart serves during the Edison at Lake Braddock varsity volleyball game.

1025380598_ri8xR-L-1.jpg
Edison senior Kylie Hayes returns during the Edison at Lake Braddock varsity volleyball game.

1025380609_jcYiS-L-1.jpg
Lake Braddock senior Logan Russell (13) runs to assist sophomore Kyra Rodi (3) during the Edison at Lake Braddock varisty volleyball game.

1025380373_4TETV-L-1.jpg
Edison juniors Imani Hudson (14) and Ruth Sherrill (12) celebrate Hudson's successful spike during the Edison at Lake Braddock varsity volleyball game.

1025380391_sUkGn-L-1.jpg
Edison junior Alexa Miller dives during the Edison at Lake Braddock varsity volleyball game.

1025380619_Xv7td-L-1.jpg
Lake Braddock senior Tara Fialkow celebrates her successful spike during the Edison at Lake Braddock varsity volleyball game.

1025380621_vgF9w-L-1.jpg
Lake Braddock coach Mike Clark encourages his team to stay focused in the final points of the Edison at Lake Braddock varsity volleyball game.
Irene Rojas
BlogWebsite

Comments

• johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited September 28, 2010
    I like that you're trying different types of shots - not all the same. That's good. The tree biggest issues you need to address are:
    1) White balance
    2) need much tighter framing
    3) faces

The WB is an easier fix. Tighter framing is tough with volleyball - it takes a lot of practice because you can no longer just follow the ball - you have to PREDICT where the action is going to be and frame on the player(s) before the ball gets there.

The faces refers to shooting the backs of players - that's rarely a good shot. There are always exceptions but too many of these shots have way too many backs and not enough faces. That coincides with the framing though too - it's difficult in some of these images to know what your subject really is. So, decide who you want to shoot or what type of shot you want (hint: skip serves - they're like free throws in basketball) and position yourself so you'll be able to shoot that player or that type of shot and get FACES. Then wait on the shot to come to you. Shooting volleyball isn't like watching it - you just can't follow the action and try to capture anything that happens. Select your shot location based on the player/type of shot and ignore the other stuff. So, keep experimenting with types of shots, but think about it ahead of time adn frame much, much tighter. Also, nice job providing captions - that's a very positive step. If you want to be a PJ, you'll need to be able to caption your photos. So, good job there!
  • Scott293Scott293 Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
    johng wrote: »
    I like that you're trying different types of shots - not all the same. That's good. The tree biggest issues you need to address are:
    1) White balance
    2) need much tighter framing
    3) faces

The WB is an easier fix. Tighter framing is tough with volleyball - it takes a lot of practice because you can no longer just follow the ball - you have to PREDICT where the action is going to be and frame on the player(s) before the ball gets there.

The faces refers to shooting the backs of players - that's rarely a good shot. There are always exceptions but too many of these shots have way too many backs and not enough faces. That coincides with the framing though too - it's difficult in some of these images to know what your subject really is. So, decide who you want to shoot or what type of shot you want (hint: skip serves - they're like free throws in basketball) and position yourself so you'll be able to shoot that player or that type of shot and get FACES. Then wait on the shot to come to you. Shooting volleyball isn't like watching it - you just can't follow the action and try to capture anything that happens. Select your shot location based on the player/type of shot and ignore the other stuff. So, keep experimenting with types of shots, but think about it ahead of time adn frame much, much tighter. Also, nice job providing captions - that's a very positive step. If you want to be a PJ, you'll need to be able to caption your photos. So, good job there!

He means faces like this.
    1008408202_J3yNJ-XL.jpg

1008406150_uLSrg-XL.jpg
    Scott Davis

Nikon D70,D2H,D300,Nikkor 300mm f2.8,Nikkor 80-200 f2.8, Nikkor 24-70 AF-S f2.8,Nikkor 50 f1.8

www.ScottDavis.smugmug.com
  • IreneRojasIreneRojas Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
    Thanks for the critiques, guys!
    Irene Rojas
    BlogWebsite
  • donekdonek Registered Users Posts: 655 Major grins
    According to the exif data, these were shot with a D700. The display on a D700 is extremely accurate. There is no reason you can't nail the WB simply by looking at the display. Take test shots and adjust the WB kelvin values until the image colors look the same on your display as the colors you see on the players or the walls. Once you're satisfied with the way things look there, shoot away. As I see it WB is your biggest issue. Solving it is insanely easy if you follow the directions I've provided.
    Sean Martin
    www.seanmartinphoto.com

aaaaa.... who am I kidding!

whoever dies with the biggest coolest piece of glass, wins!