Damned iPhone Flashes

IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
edited November 18, 2012 in Weddings
I could learn to hate the LED flashes on iPhones. The durn things stay on for like 2 seconds. OTOH it gave me a little bit of a rim-light. :D

i-cfxTSBJ-XL.jpg
John :
Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.

Comments

• 73Rocks73Rocks Registered Users Posts: 147 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2012
    Icebear wrote: »
    I could learn to hate the LED flashes on iPhones. The durn things stay on for like 2 seconds. OTOH it gave me a little bit of a rim-light. :D

And it does reinforce the fact that the focus of the picture is entirely on the couple. I think this makes the shot even more unique. But in the long run, flashes from guests cameras/phones will only spoil most shots.
  • radhakradhak Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited October 8, 2012
    Beautiful shot; the girl (bride? bridesmaid?) should love it - her smile comes thru as genuine, as does the rest of their posture, even their hand clasp.

The iphone flash is distracting, but the rim-light is nice; would have been good to crop the flash out, but you'd have to either crop too close or allow just that background girl's left arm to show (!); guess you could let leave - it's not that distracting.
  • joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2012
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2012
    Thanks everybody. I appreciate your comments. I agree that it did make this a particularly "fun" shot. The iPhone wielder was a bridesmaid and the groom's little sister, so it was actually quite cute. Obviously, this is only one of dozens and dozens of images we got of the bride dancing, so in practical reality, if I didn't like it, it could have been a tosser with no loss.
    John :
  • Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2012
    Although I think in this instance the phone flash added something nice to the shot. Better still that the perpetrator was the brides little sister. Still, it underlines the difficulty of being a wedding shooter in today's world.

Was at a reception this weekend. I watched with a mix of amusement, pity and disgust as the hired shooter tried to photograph the bridal dance. As it began, I counted over thirty people descend on the scene with various forms of camera in hand. From cell phones to PAS, consumer DSLR to pro cameras. One guy (guest) had a D4 with what appeared to be a 24-70 with a L bracket off camera flash and modifier.

What started of as amusement and pity turned to disgust when I saw guests repeatedly jump in front of the hired photog to get shots and make it almost impossible for her to get clean backgrounds without someone in the scene holding a camera/phone.

Don't think I'd have the right temperament to shoot a wedding. Be too easy to punch someone! :D
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2012
    John, you timed that shot perfectly!
  • MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2012
    Icebear wrote: »
    Thanks everybody. I appreciate your comments. I agree that it did make this a particularly "fun" shot. The iPhone wielder was a bridesmaid and the groom's little sister, so it was actually quite cute. Obviously, this is only one of dozens and dozens of images we got of the bride dancing, so in practical reality, if I didn't like it, it could have been a tosser with no loss.

And just think, if the flash didn't go off, it would look like lil sis was reading her email/texting on big sis's special day.

Now we can see that she just wanted to get a shot of the wedding photographer. mwink.gif
    edited October 10, 2012
    MarkR wrote: »
    And just think, if the flash didn't go off, it would look like lil sis was reading her email/texting on big sis's special day.

Now we can see that she just wanted to get a shot of the wedding photographer. mwink.gif

HA! rolleyes1.gif
    John :
  • Mgphoto341Mgphoto341 Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited November 8, 2012
    Hi I'm new to this forum and this thread sparked my interest because I just did a wedding this past weekend and while I was photographing the first dance a guest snapped away on the opposite side and I got a beautiful rim light. It looks almost like I did it on purpose. You can't see the guest. So all the guest photographers can add some real interest sometimes. I would post the image but I am on my iPad at the moment. I would just chalk it up to one of those happy accidents. thumb.gif
  • Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2012
    It might add some rim light, but it's very distracting. And for all the reasons stated...I can understand why some think it's interesting, but if you look at it for very long, the flash, bright white, hot spot in the image makes you look there and takes away from the image...rim light or no.

The eye is naturally drawn to the brightest part of the image...and it is here too. It's the first thing that I see and then I see the bride and groom, or husband and wife.

So, not good...certainly not as good as it could have been. And, like most amatures...she's shooting the back of the brides head...not going to be a keeper.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • karloznzkarloznz Registered Users Posts: 126 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2012
    In My view its a cools shot - captured the moment exactly as it was !
    Carl Lea Wedding and event photographer - Wellington - Web Site
    edited November 18, 2012
    Thanks, Carl.
    John :