First Portrait Session

christinamaechristinamae Registered Users Posts: 484 Major grins
edited May 29, 2011 in People
I had my very first solo portrait session this weekend. It was a nerve-wracking experience. All comments and feedback appreciated!

RS-8071-L.jpg

RS-8045-L.jpg

RS-8221-L.jpg

Thank you in advance!!!

Comments

• FlyNavyFlyNavy Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2011
  • briandelionbriandelion Registered Users Posts: 512 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2011
    These are excellent for your first venture into portraiture. From looking at these I would never suspect it was a nerve- wracking experience. She looks very natural and relaxed.
    "Photography is not about the thing photographed.
    It is about how that thing looks photographed." Garry Winogrand

Avatar credit: photograph by Duane Michals- picture of me, 'Smash Palace' album
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2011
    I would be very happy to put my name on these. Well done.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2011
    Wow - first time out? Bravo! 1&2 are exceptional, rookie or not. I'm not quite as in love with 3 simply because of the red car (or whtaever it is) in the bg which caught my eye, but even so - pretty impressive all round! clap.gif
  • Z6IZ6I Registered Users Posts: 136 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2011
    Very nice work. I guess Diva is right but a quick cloning job should take care of that.
    Be proud!!
  • christinamaechristinamae Registered Users Posts: 484 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2011
    FlyNavy wrote: »
    Nice!

Thank you, John!
    These are excellent for your first venture into portraiture. From looking at these I would never suspect it was a nerve- wracking experience. She looks very natural and relaxed.

Thanks, Brian! I was really nervous! I've tagged along on other people's shoots, but this was my first one. She was easy to work with, which made it easier for me.
    Icebear wrote: »
    I would be very happy to put my name on these. Well done.

Thank you, John!
    divamum wrote: »
    Wow - first time out? Bravo! 1&2 are exceptional, rookie or not. I'm not quite as in love with 3 simply because of the red car (or whtaever it is) in the bg which caught my eye, but even so - pretty impressive all round! clap.gif

Thank you, divamum! I'm so happy to have the first one behind me and can't wait to do more! I'll see what I can do about the red area. I think it's a restaurant. I really appreciate the feedback.
    Z6I wrote: »
    Very nice work. I guess Diva is right but a quick cloning job should take care of that.
    Be proud!!

Thank you, Robert! I'm not that good with cloning large areas, but I'll give it a shot.
  • TravelTravel Registered Users Posts: 276 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2011
    Nice work! I would say you got an "A" for the first portrait. There are somethings that would help take these good photos and make them great. Let's just talk about one picture. Picture #1 the lighting looks nice kinda fashion because it is flat. Great use of flat lighting the right choice in this photo. You showed the side of the hand another right move. let's get picky. The legs are crossed the wrong way, top needs to be bottom. Her arm is hiding her bust so you can not see her figure. A slight move of the arm will change that. Because she is turned so much her shoulder competes with her face. I want the attention going to he eyes but her shoulder and arm take it away. This might be one of those situations that if she was moved away from the wheel, her arm could be behind it, at the same time turning her body a little more toward the camera would make the shoulder less prononced. You did a good job!
    edited May 25, 2011
    Travel wrote: »
    Nice work! I would say you got an "A" for the first portrait. There are somethings that would help take these good photos and make them great. Let's just talk about one picture. Picture #1 the lighting looks nice kinda fashion because it is flat. Great use of flat lighting the right choice in this photo. You showed the side of the hand another right move. let's get picky. The legs are crossed the wrong way, top needs to be bottom. Her arm is hiding her bust so you can not see her figure. A slight move of the arm will change that. Because she is turned so much her shoulder competes with her face. I want the attention going to he eyes but her shoulder and arm take it away. This might be one of those situations that if she was moved away from the wheel, her arm could be behind it, at the same time turning her body a little more toward the camera would make the shoulder less prononced. You did a good job!

I really can't thank you enough for your feedback! I hope to be less of a nervous wreck the next time and be able to think about the posing more.
  • Z6IZ6I Registered Users Posts: 136 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2011
    I really can't thank you enough for your feedback! I hope to be less of a nervous wreck the next time and be able to think about the posing more.

I know exactly how you feel. I'm hoping that comes with experience.
  • kombizzkombizz Banned Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2011
    nice captures
  • Jeremy_22Jeremy_22 Registered Users Posts: 220 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2011
    First session? Kudos.

Even if it was your 100th session - these are strong portraits.
    edited May 27, 2011
    Z6I wrote: »
    I know exactly how you feel. I'm hoping that comes with experience.

I hope so!
    kombizz wrote: »
    nice captures

Thank you!
    First session? Kudos.

Even if it was your 100th session - these are strong portraits.

Yes, first session. Thank you!
  • RozariRozari Registered Users Posts: 13 Big grins
    edited May 29, 2011
    All three are very impressive. Maybe I'm seeing something different...but the backgrounds in 1 and 3 look a little bright. The white sunlight is, to me, distacting.