Options

Better Bokeh? C&C

toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
edited August 8, 2014 in Other Cool Shots
Much is made of bokeh to separate subjects, thousands are spent on fast glass to get it & premiums are paid for the quality (?) of the bokeh.

With a moving subject, you can freeze the subject and the bokeh can be nice but give no hint of movement. Does the human eye see it that way? Maybe not.

In this experiment the subject is moving vertically, so I've applied a vertical motion blur to what the eye may register; but you be the judge and is the image improved?

i-P2SNMPZ-XL.jpg

i-TQBbhKx-XL.jpg
Rags

Comments

• Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2013
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited February 2, 2013
    No, the image is not improved for my eye, at least.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited February 2, 2013
    Hey thanks for looking in and I appreciate the comments.

So... retaining half heads improves the image ... really?

Giving this technique more thought, it's like forcing panning (albeit in a different direction )

Maybe it will work better in an urban pano
    Rags
  • Options
    EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2013
    I think it was a tough background no matter what...... not the best composition ( I know you gets what you gets at these events) - although the bull and rider look great.
    I like trippy stuff so I like #2 better - also, to me, it does look like the bull is (actually) flying! And, of course, to a certain extent he is.
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2013
    Earache wrote: »
    I think it was a tough background no matter what...... not the best composition ( I know you gets what you gets at these events) - although the bull and rider look great.
    I like trippy stuff so I like #2 better - also, to me, it does look like the bull is (actually) flying! And, of course, to a certain extent he is.

It's tough to get subject separation shooting bull riding. Most riders stay on maybe 4 seconds (average), so how far can a bull go away from the spectators? Not far... :D

A redo is in order, it was an experiment using motion blur by moving the background instead of the subject.

It has potential

thanks the comment, much appreciated
    Rags
  • Options
    RandySmugMugRandySmugMug Registered Users Posts: 1,651 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2014
    uhhh NO and the original needs work as well (cropping heads off the BG people and a crooked horizon)

is this what you referred to in my bull riding post as the way you blur the BG and create separation ?
  • Options
    lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2014
    Not sure it would apply in this case, but consider panning - set shutter speed at around 1/40s and move the camera along with the movement of the subject. You will get a nice blurred background and with a little luck and stilled subject.

Phil
    http://www.PhilsImaging.com
    "You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
    Phil
  • Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2014
    Hi Rags, I feel in first one the bull and rider are drawing my eyes....not noticing the half-heads.
    In second one, bg is drawing my attention (maybe because you mentioned it in the subject) as it is noticeable and also feels bit strange....like instead of jumping up it was suspended in air or something. Can't describe it.
    Key is to shoot a lot, and delete anything with flaws! Cheers!
  • Options
    r3t1awr3ydr3t1awr3yd Registered Users Posts: 1,000 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2014
    So the greatest piece of info that I ever read about achieving more bokeh (even with cheap lenses) is to move CLOSER to your subject. I'm amazed to no end how well this work when you can get closer. Maybe a new seat at the rodeo will help?

Hi! I'm Wally: website | blog | facebook | IG | scotchNsniff
    Nikon addict. D610, Tok 11-16, Sig 24-35, Nik 24-70/70-200vr
  • Options
    edited August 4, 2014
    "uhhh NO and the original needs work as well (cropping heads off the BG people and a crooked horizon)

is this what you referred to in my bull riding post as the way you blur the BG and create separation ?"

This was a first time experiment. This is an example of what I don't like..

This is what I don't like.I changed shooting angles now. You can't shoot bullriding from low and not cut heads of speactators

DSC_0248.NEF-X3.jpg

"Not sure it would apply in this case, but consider panning - set shutter speed at around 1/40s and move the camera along with the movement of the subject. You will get a nice blurred background and with a little luck and stilled subject."

You can't pan - too much going on (legs, head, etc); it doesn't work with racing horses or dogs

"So the greatest piece of info that I ever read about achieving more bokeh (even with cheap lenses) is to move CLOSER to your subject. I'm amazed to no end how well this work when you can get closer. Maybe a new seat at the rodeo will help?"

This is a shot I got in the ring when the bull threw the rider and noticed the dumb photographer - soiling his underwear... Yes as you can see getting closer works. Then cowboys noticed and distracted him, but for a moment neither the bull nor I knew what to do (since I was still - I guess) but he started at me...

RAG_3027-X3.jpg

This is a good shot

RAG_2831-X3.jpg
    This one too..
    RAG_2751-X3.jpg
    I'm partial this... cropped to just the action, drool kicked up dirt and the eye...
    RAG_2887-X3.jpg
    Rags
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2014
    i like that last one
  • Options
    edited August 5, 2014
    torags wrote: »
    Hey thanks for looking in and I appreciate the comments.

So... retaining half heads improves the image ... really?

Giving this technique more thought, it's like forcing panning (albeit in a different direction )

Maybe it will work better in an urban pano

no retaining 1/2 heads is not good but so is the weird look the preset gives
  • Options
    edited August 7, 2014
    Thanks for looking in and the comments...

BTW ... what preset are you talking about?
    Rags
  • Options
    edited August 7, 2014
    I shoot bull riding with a 70/200 @ 2.8 (sometimes a 300 2.8). The spectators drive me crazy.

So I bought Alien Skin Bokeh, a group of presets that gives bokeh with labels like 2.8, f4.. etc

Like I said, it's not my style... no judgement intended...

edited August 7, 2014
    I shoot bull riding with a 70/200 @ 2.8 (sometimes a 300 2.8). The spectators drive me crazy.

So I bought Alien Skin Bokeh, a group of presets that gives bokeh with labels like 2.8, f4.. etc

Like I said, it's not my style... no judgement intended...

Ahhh... The original posted image was not done by preset. I got the preset software before I had proficiency in PS.

This is an example of it's use

i-szmffHN-XL.jpg
    Rags
  • Options
    edited August 8, 2014
    torags wrote: »
    Ahhh... The original posted image was not done by preset. I got the preset software before I had proficiency in PS.

This is an example of it's use

i-szmffHN-XL.jpg

that might look good sooc
    i like matt k's LR Tonal presets but that's about it