Any Experience of the Panasonic Lumix G1?

Bend The LightBend The Light Registered Users Posts: 1,887 Major grins
edited October 13, 2010 in Cameras
Hi,

I am going to be shooting a stage show next week. I am going to use my Canon 400d, with my 135mm manual lens.

I do have 3 ertwhile assistants, however, from the students in the school in which I teach. They will be using Lumix G1's. Their brief will be "Get in close with the 14mm-45mm kit lens" while I hng back with the longer lens.

I need to know how the Lumix deals with low light, stage lighting. High ISO, and slow shutters. They do go up to 3200, as opposed to 1600 on my Canon - the canon gave me 1/60s shutter at times which was a tad slow.

Also, any advice on actual USAGE would be good...these Lumix cameras belong to the school, and have no manuals with them :confused:

I am having a training session tomorrow with my novice shooters, but the gigi isn't while a week on Thursday (although we will have a rehearsal a week tomorrow)

Thanks

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,762 moderator
    edited October 11, 2010
  • NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2010
    Hi,

I am going to be shooting a stage show next week. I am going to use my Canon 400d, with my 135mm manual lens.

I do have 3 ertwhile assistants, however, from the students in the school in which I teach. They will be using Lumix G1's. Their brief will be "Get in close with the 14mm-45mm kit lens" while I hng back with the longer lens.

I need to know how the Lumix deals with low light, stage lighting. High ISO, and slow shutters. They do go up to 3200, as opposed to 1600 on my Canon - the canon gave me 1/60s shutter at times which was a tad slow.

Also, any advice on actual USAGE would be good...these Lumix cameras belong to the school, and have no manuals with them :confused:

I am having a training session tomorrow with my novice shooters, but the gigi isn't while a week on Thursday (although we will have a rehearsal a week tomorrow)

Thanks

They use a similar sensor to my Olympus E-620 so if you are shooting RAW and then processing with lightroom 3 (which I got much better results than 2) 800 was crisp, 1600 was very usable, 3200 will be pushing it though.

Also I hear the EVF on the G1 as well as the AF do not like low light much so have them practice in some similar situation if you can since it would be like a normal DSLR.
  • Bend The LightBend The Light Registered Users Posts: 1,887 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2010
    They use a similar sensor to my Olympus E-620 so if you are shooting RAW and then processing with lightroom 3 (which I got much better results than 2) 800 was crisp, 1600 was very usable, 3200 will be pushing it though.

Also I hear the EVF on the G1 as well as the AF do not like low light much so have them practice in some similar situation if you can since it would be like a normal DSLR.

Thanks. They MIGHT have the lights up and running for the rehearsal on Tuesday next week...might be the only chance I have to practice in similar conditions.

Cheers.
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2010
    Hi,

Thanks

I love the G1, and have been using it for street work, editorial/commercial work, and just plain fun. I can't speak to the kit lenses as I have the 20 1.7, which is a truly marvelous piece of glass. I would say that at 800 you'll get good results, although the shadow noise is on the ugly side. At 1600 I don't find the results acceptable. 3200? Not in this life time. rolleyes1.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
    edited October 12, 2010
    bdcolen wrote: »
    I love the G1, and have been using it for street work, editorial/commercial work, and just plain fun. I can't speak to the kit lenses as I have the 20 1.7, which is a truly marvelous piece of glass. I would say that at 800 you'll get good results, although the shadow noise is on the ugly side. At 1600 I don't find the results acceptable. 3200? Not in this life time. rolleyes1.gif

Thanks for that. I think they'll have to be at 1600, but until I get to try, I won't know...think the max aperture is about 3.5, so could be a little slower...

The students played with them today, and they'll have a go next week. To be honest, it's all a bit of fun as much as anything else...would just like to get SOME decent shots out of it.
    edited October 13, 2010
    Thanks for that. I think they'll have to be at 1600, but until I get to try, I won't know...think the max aperture is about 3.5, so could be a little slower...

The students played with them today, and they'll have a go next week. To be honest, it's all a bit of fun as much as anything else...would just like to get SOME decent shots out of it.

Are these photos for the web? Prints? .....
    edited October 13, 2010
    Are these photos for the web? Prints? .....

A bit of both...school website, plasma screens around school, and maybe posters for publicity in the school, or leaflets...
    edited October 13, 2010
    A bit of both...school website, plasma screens around school, and maybe posters for publicity in the school, or leaflets...

For everything but the plasma screens and posters you should be fine. For those 2 formats though I would try and get a few good lower ISO shots if at all possible.