The approach

JonaBeth RussellJonaBeth Russell Registered Users Posts: 1,065 Major grins
edited December 29, 2015 in Weddings
A couple weeks back we flew to Orlando (4600 mile trip ) to shoot this charming couple's wedding. Every time we hit Orlando, I'm always pleased at what outdoor beauty is hidden around town, out of the giant shadow of the mouse. These are a couple from their day in a local park on the north end of town.

Thanks for viewing, creative input and guidance are ALWAYS welcome!

BONUS FACT: The first image has some background cloning - 4 automobiles, 2 street signs, and 1 garbage can.

IMG_3445-L.jpg

IMG_3450-L.jpg

Comments

• SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2015
    Very nicely done!!

also not a little cloning. :D

I like how the images tell a story, and display emotion. No backstory or explanation necessary.

Sam.
  • ThelensspotThelensspot Registered Users Posts: 2,041 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2015
    Nicely done! bowdown.gif
    "Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

• JonaBeth RussellJonaBeth Russell Registered Users Posts: 1,065 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2015
    Sam wrote: »
    Very nicely done!!

also not a little cloning. :D

I like how the images tell a story, and display emotion. No backstory or explanation necessary.

Sam.

Thank you, Sam! Your response is exactly what I was trying to communicate. It's nice when I get one right now and again. lol
    Nicely done! bowdown.gif

Oh man, you are too kind! Thank you so much for the big endorsement.thumb.gif
  • JonTinklerJonTinkler Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited November 3, 2015
    Nice shots JonaBeth. I have a spot here in Melbourne where I regularly shoot that has two large bins right in the wrong spot :-) Love that clone tool. Nice job.
    edited November 8, 2015
    JonTinkler wrote: »
    Nice shots JonaBeth. I have a spot here in Melbourne where I regularly shoot that has two large bins right in the wrong spot :-) Love that clone tool. Nice job.

Much Mahalo sir! I'm definitely grateful for the relationship I've been developing with the clone tool. I just wish city planners would check with their local photographers before building / installing things!rolleyes1.gif
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2015
    I'm curious to know what the sensor size, aperture, and focal length were for these images. I feel like the DOF needs to be just a bit more shallow, to help their heads and shoulders stand out from the background, since it is a bit too mottled for my taste. Gorgeous colors and tones, though!
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
    edited November 11, 2015
    I'm curious to know what the sensor size, aperture, and focal length were for these images. I feel like the DOF needs to be just a bit more shallow, to help their heads and shoulders stand out from the background, since it is a bit too mottled for my taste. Gorgeous colors and tones, though!

Matthew, thanks for jumping in here. Below is the data for the images. You're right, had I backed up a few feet and used a nice 50mm @ 1.8 or so, I would have had more separation between subject and background. Unfortunately, I don't have such a lens. The one listed is what I have right now in life. lol

Canon 7D (1.6 crop)
    EF-S 17-55

Focal Length: 37mm
    f/2.8 (smallest available to the lens)

Focal Length: 40mm
    f/2.8

I suppose I could use the radial filter tool in LR to soften the background, creating the illusion of shallow depth of field?
  • Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2015
    A couple weeks back we flew to Orlando (4600 mile trip ) to shoot this charming couple's wedding. Every time we hit Orlando, I'm always pleased at what outdoor beauty is hidden around town, out of the giant shadow of the mouse. These are a couple from their day in a local park on the north end of town.

Thanks for viewing, creative input and guidance are ALWAYS welcome!

BONUS FACT: The first image has some background cloning - 4 automobiles, 2 street signs, and 1 garbage can.

g][/url]

nice job cloning out the background distractions
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2015
    Matthew, thanks for jumping in here. Below is the data for the images. You're right, had I backed up a few feet and used a nice 50mm @ 1.8 or so, I would have had more separation between subject and background. Unfortunately, I don't have such a lens. The one listed is what I have right now in life. lol

Canon 7D (1.6 crop)
    EF-S 17-55

Focal Length: 37mm
    f/2.8 (smallest available to the lens)

Focal Length: 40mm
    f/2.8

I suppose I could use the radial filter tool in LR to soften the background, creating the illusion of shallow depth of field?

Yeah, when it comes to achieving shallow depth, when using a crop sensor I try to shoot a little bit longer on the lens, or a little bit shallower on the aperture. I find that ~40mm and f/2.8 on a 1.6x crop sensor is not shallow enough for full body portraits. For something like this, I'd prefer to shoot it on a 50mm f/1.4 wide open. But, the photos are still beautiful, and the couple will certainly still appreciate them. :-)
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum