How to Email a Gallery??

cohenfivecohenfive Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
edited November 25, 2015 in SmugMug Support
I"ve been using smugmug for a couple of years now and while I have always thought the site was non-intuitive in spots, I was always able to do what I needed to do with my images and galleries. This included sharing entire galleries with friends via email, and posting links to individual images onto websites. After all, if you can't share images, what's the point....but I digress.

Anyway, I put a gallery together today and was going to email the link to the gallery to my contact list of emails on smugmug, and due to some changes, I cannot see how to email the gallery...only individual images.

Is there a way to email a gallery link to my list of email contacts on smugmug, as I used to be able to do? Please don't tell me this core functionality has disappeared.....Thanks.

Comments

• leftquarkleftquark Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,784 Many Grins
    edited November 25, 2015
    Still there, just now hidden a bit, under the "Social" tab. You'll need to be logged in to do it. We struggled where to put it and we have some bigger plans for sharing. This was just a stop-gap to replace the super old "Get-a-Link" page.
    dGrin Afficionado
    Former SmugMug Product Team
    aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations
  • cohenfivecohenfive Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited November 25, 2015
    leftquark wrote: »
    Still there, just now hidden a bit, under the "Social" tab. You'll need to be logged in to do it. We struggled where to put it and we have some bigger plans for sharing. This was just a stop-gap to replace the super old "Get-a-Link" page.

That is silly...it is not only hidden, it is described as a way to email a photo, not the album. When you click on the photo it sends you to the gallery. So I now have to send instructions as well as a description of the album, probably the url itself as well to be sure. Really lousy way to do it, and if you go through the 'how to' parts of the site, this isn't even talked about...only sending an individual image. Why don't you just set things up such that you can share an image or a gallery, that is what your users clearly will want to do.

So what about embeddable links to images so they can be easily posted to websites? I saw one link function, not not as well thought out or robust as before when there were several choices.

You guys really dropped the ball here...this is core functionality, I just don't understand why you would release an 'upgrade' to the site without at least having maintained or improved all of the core functions. From my limited perusal of the forums here, I am far from alone in this regard.
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator
    edited November 25, 2015
    Maybe I'm missing something here, but why can't you just open the gallery in your browser, copy the link from the browser URL bar and paste it into an email? headscratch.gif

As for posting on forums or embedding images in blogs, you can get the image URL from the lightbox share option popup. Depending on the destination, you may have to surround this with image tags in BB code or a tiny bit of HTML, but it's very little work either way.
  • AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,007 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2015
    Richard wrote: »
    Maybe I'm missing something here, but why can't you just open the gallery in your browser, copy the link from the browser URL bar and paste it into an email? headscratch.gif
    I think the problem here is he wants to use his Smugmug saved email links. I send gallery links all time in
    Firefox but it's using my installed email app with a different set of saved email addresses. Perhaps if the
    Smug saved addresses are synced with the local email app this would work.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator
    edited November 25, 2015
    Allen wrote: »
    I think the problem here is he wants to use his Smugmug saved email links. I send gallery links all time in
    Firefox but it's using my installed email app with a different set of saved email addresses. Perhaps if the
    Smug saved addresses are synced with the local email app this would work.
    Ah, OK, I didn't think of that--I never managed email addresses in SM.
  • cohenfivecohenfive Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited November 25, 2015
    Spot on. I know I can copy the url and then create an email with the group of recipients I want from outlook or other email host, but my point is that SM used to have this functionality built in, with a nice cover image and an invite to check out the gallery, and had the email addresses saved in SM....which was ridiculously easy to use. Now I have to do it myself, no big deal, but I think it was really stupid of SM to take that core functionality out, or mostly out.

I'm also concerned about the changes to how SM creates embeddable links to individual images to be posted on other websites. Again, this used to be very clean and easy to use functionality, now I'm not sure how it works, but it isn't as well designed as before.

Since SM is a paid site, I don't mind whining about steps back away from what was well designed core funcionality....
  • leftquarkleftquark Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,784 Many Grins
    edited November 25, 2015
    We pushed an update to the Share Panel this afternoon that restores a lot of the embed links you used to have.

I'm a little confused on the email issue though... The email option can be found under "Social" and works exactly the same as it always has. Is something not working same?
    dGrin Afficionado
    Former SmugMug Product Team
    aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations