Muizenberg Beach

chopskychopsky Registered Users Posts: 104 Major grins
edited July 20, 2007 in Landscapes
26_by_chopsky.jpg

This small beach hut sits on the shore of Muizenberg Beach, located in Cape Town, South Africa.

A beach that once upon a time played a large part in my parents childhood and my own.
My parents were born and raised in the suburb of Muizenberg and for the early years of my childhood, my family and many others spent our summer days on this beach, swimming in the warm Indian Ocean water.
I remember my birthday parties at the Muizenberg water-slides. Or the countless days spent on the putt-putt course next to the beach. The same putt-putt course my dad worked at during his teens.

This place has serious history for me and every time I return - which is very seldom nowadays - there's an overwhelming feeling of nostalgia.

Unfortunately in the last 2 decades, Muizenberg has fallen to pieces. Dilapidated homes line the beach front where thousands once came to party. It is no longer the holiday destination it once was.

You'll notice the tags that have been spray-painted onto window inside the hut. They represent the 26 gang.
The 26's make up one of the 3 number gangs (26's, 27's & 28's) of Cape Town.

None the less, there is hope on the horizon...

huts_of_muizenberg_by_chopsky.jpg

These colourful beach huts, also situated on Muizenberg Beach tell a rather different, contrasting story to my first capture.

For just under a century, these beach huts have stood on Muizenberg Beach, and look as good today as they did then.

Muizenberg is considered the birthplace of surfing in South Africa and it is still a prime destination for surfers from around the country.

Thankfully much-needed renovations are well underway in an attempt to restore this beautiful suburb to the holiday destination it once was, with penthouse apartments being sold for millions of rands.

A few years ago, banks refused home-owners mortgages. Real estate was being given away for chips. Now it's almost impossible to find anything for under a million.

For me, these beach huts represent the hope that once embodied this town and the new hope that is being injected back into it.
Currently Using:
body: canon 400d
lenses:
50mm 1.8 & 10-22mm

Grant Shapiro Design & Photography

Comments

• chopskychopsky Registered Users Posts: 104 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2007
    Any C&C ? ne_nau.gif
    Currently Using:
    lenses:
    50mm 1.8 & 10-22mm

• USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2007
    Both photos I like
    Like the feel of the first nice conversion to my eyes
    #2 love the color..bet you shot more then just one the one photo you posted.

Fred
  • jamesljamesl Registered Users Posts: 642 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2007
    Excellent pictures and documentary. clap.gif It looks to me like you really love the place. I can relate, as I feel that way everytime I return to where I grew up in Montana. Similar type of story too, where places that used to sell for peanuts are now selling for millions of dollars. I guess that is the progress of change, eh? ne_nau.gif As long as I can still visit and take photographs, I am good. thumb.gif

Thanks for sharing!

James
    edited July 20, 2007
    USAIR wrote:
    Both photos I like
    Like the feel of the first nice conversion to my eyes
    #2 love the color..bet you shot more then just one the one photo you posted.

Fred

Thanks.
    Yeh, I took several shots of those beach huts and stuck up the one I'm happiest with - which I'm sure is the case with most people's shoots :)

Here's another shot of the huts, but looking in the opposite direction:

morehousescv7.jpg
    Currently Using:
    lenses:
    50mm 1.8 & 10-22mm

edited July 20, 2007
    jamesl wrote:
    Excellent pictures and documentary. clap.gif It looks to me like you really love the place. I can relate, as I feel that way everytime I return to where I grew up in Montana. Similar type of story too, where places that used to sell for peanuts are now selling for millions of dollars. I guess that is the progress of change, eh? ne_nau.gif As long as I can still visit and take photographs, I am good. thumb.gif

Thanks for sharing!

James

Thanks man.
    It's funny how we can become so attached to a place.
    Currently Using:
    lenses:
    50mm 1.8 & 10-22mm