Options

Take Your Pick

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
edited January 28, 2015 in Other Cool Shots
I occasionally pass by ( and shoot ) this place as I roam the back roads in the Appalachians. The last time passing, I was intrigued by a sign that said " take your pick ". I saw an old lady on the porch of the nearby house. After a brief talk, I learned her husband had recently passed away. She wanted to get rid of all these old hubcaps and was giving them away.

I've had an idea about the decorating I want to do in my " man cave " in the new mountain house Darlene and I want to build. The old lady graciously let me have 5 of the hubcaps. Along with that door window and sign I have that says " Eat more possum " ( a picture of which I've posted before ), I'm beginning to shape up the tone of the man cave.

summer%202014%20244-X3.jpg
I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• Options
    StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2014
    Nice comp and subject Tom!! Naturally takes your eyes through it! Nice story too! You should print this shot and hang it in your Man Cave right in between the hubcaps! Cheers!!
  • Options
    PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2014
    Howdy you,

What a great story and image, I agree about printing this shot and hanging it in there as well.
    You have to know that made the lady's day seeing something that was so special to her Husband
    was a prize to so many.
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
  • Options
    rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited December 11, 2014
    Great story Pard,
    And I also agree that this image would be a perfect companion to the hubcaps in your man cave.
    Randy
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,913 moderator
    edited December 12, 2014
    Definitely man-cave material. thumb.gif
  • Options
    aj986saj986s Registered Users Posts: 1,100 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2014
    Like! .....the picture, the hub caps, the man cave decor ideas, all of it!! clap.gif
    Tony P.
    Canon 50D, 30D and Digital Rebel (plus some old friends - FTB and AE1)
    Long-time amateur.....wishing for more time to play
    Autocross and Track junkie
    tonyp.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited December 12, 2014
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    Nice comp and subject Tom!! Naturally takes your eyes through it! Nice story too! You should print this shot and hang it in your Man Cave right in between the hubcaps! Cheers!!

Great idea, Taz. A friend, who is a graphic display magician, took your idea even further and suggested we cover the entire wall behind the wet-bar with a huge blow-up of this shot and then hang the hub caps right on the picture. I kind of like that suggestion.

See you, buddy,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    edited December 12, 2014
    Panther wrote: »
    Howdy you,

What a great story and image, I agree about printing this shot and hanging it in there as well.
    You have to know that made the lady's day seeing something that was so special to her Husband
    was a prize to so many.

Hey rascal,

I'll be surprised if some antique memorabilia dealer doesn't find this stash and clean it out. I used to see such displays on old barns a lot more frequently. It's a sad case of disappearing Americana.

Y'all be careful in your travels.

Tom
  • Options
    edited December 12, 2014
    rwells wrote: »
    Great story Pard,
    And I also agree that this image would be a perfect companion to the hubcaps in your man cave.

Yo Pard,

See my comments to Taz. For sure, I will find some way to incorporate this shot along with the hub caps. I'm really warming to the idea of the big blow-up with the hub caps hanging on it. We'll see.

Take care,

Tom
  • Options
    edited December 12, 2014
    Richard wrote: »
    Definitely man-cave material. thumb.gif

I'm glad you agree, Richard. I'm saving all these supportive comments from you guys to show Darlene if she begins to question my taste in decorating.

Tom
  • Options
    edited December 12, 2014
    aj986s wrote: »
    Like! .....the picture, the hub caps, the man cave decor ideas, all of it!! clap.gif

Boy, Tony, it's great to have you pay a visit. I haven't seen much from you lately on the forum. Got any racing stuff you can throw our way? I miss your contributions.

take care,

Tom
  • Options
    SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2014
    Yes, the Man-Cave!!!!
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • Options
    aj986saj986s Registered Users Posts: 1,100 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2014
    Boy, Tony, it's great to have you pay a visit. I haven't seen much from you lately on the forum. Got any racing stuff you can throw our way? I miss your contributions.

take care,

Tom

Thanks! I had no idea I was missed. rolleyes1.gif

Haven't done as much pic taking lately as I would like. Have only been to a few races this year, and when battling car problems I tend to forget about the camera. :uhoh
    Tony P.
    Canon 50D, 30D and Digital Rebel (plus some old friends - FTB and AE1)
    Long-time amateur.....wishing for more time to play
    Autocross and Track junkie
    tonyp.smugmug.com
  • Options
    redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2015
    I missed this thread earlier. I like the shot.....and the story.....and your friend's idea about joining the pic and the hubcaps.....and you can even tell Darlene that I vote for this for the man cave. You can also tell her I will come and help her design a she-cave. ........ and it won't have ruffles either! rolleyes1.gif
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Options
    edited January 11, 2015
    redleash wrote: »
    I missed this thread earlier. I like the shot.....and the story.....and your friend's idea about joining the pic and the hubcaps.....and you can even tell Darlene that I vote for this for the man cave. You can also tell her I will come and help her design a she-cave. ........ and it won't have ruffles either! rolleyes1.gif

You and Darlene will get along well. She's not into ruffles either. She's also very tolerant of my aberrations. If the man cave gets too crazy, she said she'll just stay away from the thing.

See you,

Tom
  • Options
    redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2015
    clap.gif
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Options
    DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2015
    Great job on this one. Really nice thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited January 17, 2015
    Dogdots wrote: »
    Great job on this one. Really nice thumb.gif

Thanks for the look-see, Mary.

I was thinking of you recently. We had a real dose of Winter weather set in on us....got down to 29F. Most of the folks in my neighborhood went comatose.

See you,

Tom
  • Options
    Gary752Gary752 Registered Users Posts: 934 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2015
    NICE!!!! I think you should pick 3 more of your favorite photos of the old barns, and print them HUGE to cover the 4 walls, and call it the "The Abandoned World" or something similar. You could also add one for the ceiling as well. ;-)

GaryB
    GaryB
    “The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams
  • Options
    edited January 17, 2015
    Gary752 wrote: »
    NICE!!!! I think you should pick 3 more of your favorite photos of the old barns, and print them HUGE to cover the 4 walls, and call it the "The Abandoned World" or something similar. You could also add one for the ceiling as well. ;-)

GaryB

I have to say, Gary, I like folks who can think big. I'm afraid, though, that the budget for such extravaganza might make me persona non grata in my own creation..... God forbid.:D

Take care,

Tom
  • Options
    DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2015
    Thanks for the look-see, Mary.

I was thinking of you recently. We had a real dose of Winter weather set in on us....got down to 29F. Most of the folks in my neighborhood went comatose.

See you,

Tom

29 degrees .. major heatwave for us rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    DJTDJT Registered Users Posts: 353 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2015
    droooooooooooooooooooool however I don't see any 1966 Galaxie hubcaps there :(

Sorry it's been forever for me to get on. A very active 3 year old keeps me busy
  • Options
    edited January 26, 2015
    Dogdots wrote: »
    29 degrees .. major heatwave for us rolleyes1.gif

29! geez........ break out the shorts! It's 19 here and we're further south..........
  • Options
    edited January 28, 2015
    DJT wrote: »
    droooooooooooooooooooool however I don't see any 1966 Galaxie hubcaps there :(

Sorry it's been forever for me to get on. A very active 3 year old keeps me busy

Hi David,

It's great to hear from your quarters. I've missed your contributions to our little group of car lovers. I hope you'll be able to share some of the exciting automotive happenings that go on in your area.

Take care,

Tom
  • Options
    edited January 28, 2015
    Thanks Tom,

Not too much happening in the deep freeze right now in the way of classic cars. The Galaxie is in storage at the Kruse Classic Carriage Museum. Was trying to get an L29 in there for a friend and they said yes to my car too....... heated winter storage :D
    I'll try to stick around longer this time.