Options

Garrapata Gold

StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
edited September 3, 2015 in Landscapes
Was after Milky Way but kept going earlier to catch Sunset and Blue-Hour in case Milky Way gets wiped out by fog and clouds! Got both after multiple attempts!

First shot is a pano. Also tried capturing the energy of the crashing wave. Used light painting for Milky way shots and shooting at different temperatures and tweaking processing to try and achieve cooler look!

All criticism and kind comments are heartily cherished!

1)
1W7A8556-Edit-X3.jpg

2)
1W7A8678-Edit-2-Edit-X3.jpg

3)
1W7A8697-X3.jpg

4)
1W7A8702-X3.jpg

5)
1W7A8713-Edit-X3.jpg

6)
1W7A8583-X3.jpg

7)
1W7A8591-X3.jpg

8)
1W7A8594-X3.jpg

9)
1W7A8614-X3.jpg

10)
1W7A8719-Edit-X3.jpg

11)
1W7A8720-X3.jpg

12)
1W7A8797-Edit-X3.jpg

13)
1W7A8802-X3.jpg

14)
1W7A8844-X3.jpg

15)
1W7A8826-X3.jpg

Comments

• Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2015
    Super excellent clap.gifclapclap.gifclapclap.gif

Dedication and skill prevailed. thumb.gif

Sam
  • Options
    Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,450 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2015
  • Options
    black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,321 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2015
    Masterful. Brilliant work, Taz. clap.gifclap I tell you, my friend, you're running me out of superlatives.

Take care,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2015
    Sam wrote: »
    Super excellent clap.gifclapclap.gifclapclap.gif

Dedication and skill prevailed. thumb.gif

Sam

Oh Sam, you have totally made my day! Thanks kindly! Hope we go shooting soon!bowdown.gif
    Nice series! The Milky Way shots are killer!

Thanks Mike! Really appreciate the kind comment! July-August best time to catch it! Even in Santa Cruz if fog doesn't get in the way!
    Masterful. Brilliant work, Taz. clap.gifclap I tell you, my friend, you're running me out of superlatives.

Take care,

Tom

Thank you Tom! I am over joyed and humbled!wings.gif
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,913 moderator
    edited August 19, 2015
    Awesome shots. clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
  • Options
    rhiturajrhituraj Registered Users Posts: 211 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2015
    Super brilliant work!

Camera - $1700, Lens - $900, Memories - Priceless | www.rhitusworld.com
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2015
    Richard wrote: »
    Awesome shots. clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Thanks Richard!wings.gif
    rhituraj wrote: »
    Super brilliant work!

Thank you Rithuraj! Appreciate it truly!
  • Options
    thebigskythebigsky Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2015
    Lovely series of shots.
  • Options
    ThelensspotThelensspot Registered Users Posts: 2,041 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2015
    As per usual Taz these are outstanding shots! clap.gifclap
    Inquisitive minds need to know, with what light
    source did you light paint the bridge in the Milky Way shots? It really came out nicely! bowdown.gif
    "Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

• Options
    roaddog52roaddog52 Registered Users Posts: 1,323 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2015
    A great series thumb.gifthumb. #6, #11, and #14 with the Bixby Canyon bridge are my favorites.

Phil
    I don't know where I'm going, but I'm going anyway.

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity!
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2015
    thebigsky wrote: »
    Lovely series of shots.

Thanks much BigSky!
    As per usual Taz these are outstanding shots! clap.gifclap
    Inquisitive minds need to know, with what light
    source did you light paint the bridge in the Milky Way shots? It really came out nicely! bowdown.gif

Thank you Wayne! Can't say that enough!

Light source was Z-96 LED light. It comes with warming filter that can easily clip on and remove. Where you see warm hue on bridge the filter was on. The trick is to move further away from your setup......so start exposure and run......and then hold light high and steady.....because it is constant source and you don't actually paint.....the amount of time comes with some hit and trial and gut....Cheers!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003UCGDSS?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00
    roaddog52 wrote: »
    A great series thumb.gifthumb. #6, #11, and #14 with the Bixby Canyon bridge are my favorites.

Phil

Thanks kindly Phil! Much appreciate the feedback!!wings.gif
  • Options
    bristleconebristlecone Registered Users Posts: 451 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2015
    Another great set Taz! #3 & #12 are REALLY working for me. #3 is just plain classic, and #12 is very mystical -- frame those suckers!
    IMO, 6 & 7 would benefit with a little less brightness in the foreground rocks.
    Best,
    -Len
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2015
    Another great set Taz! #3 & #12 are REALLY working for me. #3 is just plain classic, and #12 is very mystical -- frame those suckers!
    IMO, 6 & 7 would benefit with a little less brightness in the foreground rocks.
    Best,
    -Len

Thanks truly Len!bowdown.gif I worked one of those........and toned down the foreground....hope I got it.....Cheers!

1W7A8583-X3.jpg
  • Options
    WirenWiren Registered Users Posts: 741 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2015
    Really great job Taz! I love them ALL!! clap.gif these are all really stellar! (no pun intended). How many shots for the stitched pano?, i'm guessing around 5....?

I'd have to say that if I was to pick faves... (tough to do here, really) they'd be 4 & 11

nice work!
    Lee Wiren
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2015
    Wiren wrote: »
    Really great job Taz! I love them ALL!! clap.gif these are all really stellar! (no pun intended). How many shots for the stitched pano?, i'm guessing around 5....?

I'd have to say that if I was to pick faves... (tough to do here, really) they'd be 4 & 11

nice work!

Thanks Lee! Means much, coming from you! I have had that number 25-30mm stuck in my head, that I got from you, so yes, these are 5 landscape-shots, not verticals and didn't expect them to line up but PS did it! Thanks again m8!
  • Options
    WirenWiren Registered Users Posts: 741 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2015
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    Thanks Lee! Means much, coming from you! I have had that number 25-30mm stuck in my head, that I got from you, so yes, these are 5 landscape-shots, not verticals and didn't expect them to line up but PS did it! Thanks again m8!

I could almost see that as 5 slightly overlapped portrait shots stitched together, had to make sure. It's a great job! Glad you tried that, bet is saved you tons of time in post..... not having to stitch so much and run into potential stitching problems, thereby giving you more time to worry about the important stuff... like making that shot freaking killer!!! thumb.gif

I have got to get down to this area of the coast! These shots are killing me man, again extremely nice stuff.

I don't do too much with super long exposure.... how long were the SS on those?
    Lee Wiren
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2015
    Wiren wrote: »
    I could almost see that as 5 slightly overlapped portrait shots stitched together, had to make sure. It's a great job! Glad you tried that, bet is saved you tons of time in post..... not having to stitch so much and run into potential stitching problems, thereby giving you more time to worry about the important stuff... like making that shot freaking killer!!! thumb.gif

I have got to get down to this area of the coast! These shots are killing me man, again extremely nice stuff.

I don't do too much with super long exposure.... how long were the SS on those?

It was great because the place is wide and vertical shots would be 12 and light was contrasty and changing so need to take many exposures.

FURTHERMORE, you have to watch for water movement, because if there is a wave coming in one shot and not in next it won't stitch or make a mess. So had to get similar looking water.

IF and WHEN you are down here.....do not be shy about pinging me! Cheers!
  • Options
    Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2015
    As I moved from image to image in this set I thought it was going to be another set of "just not possible to pick a favorite they're all so good. Then I came to #'s 10,11,and 12 and their ethereal colors and mystical mood blew me away. bowdown.gifbowbowdown.gif

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2015
    Jack'll do wrote: »
    As I moved from image to image in this set I thought it was going to be another set of "just not possible to pick a favorite they're all so good. Then I came to #'s 10,11,and 12 and their ethereal colors and mystical mood blew me away. bowdown.gifbowbowdown.gif

Thanks kindly John! Can't say how happy I am to hear from you!wings.gif Only see you here once in a while! Hope everything is great!
  • Options
    CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,033 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2015
    I've been out of town only to return to find this thread......WOWSA! Great job as usual Taz.
  • Options
    JonaBeth RussellJonaBeth Russell Registered Users Posts: 1,065 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2015
    Gorgeous set, Taz. Way to stay after it!
  • Options
    edited August 23, 2015
    Cavalier wrote: »
    I've been out of town only to return to find this thread......WOWSA! Great job as usual Taz.

Thanks Jo!!wings.gif
    Gorgeous set, Taz. Way to stay after it!

Thanks JBR!!bowdown.gifivar
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited August 25, 2015
    stunning.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    edited August 25, 2015
    Qarik wrote: »
    stunning.

Thanks kindly Guru!!bowdown.gifwings.gifivar
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,182 moderator
    edited August 28, 2015
    Great set. Really like #'s 6 and 7 with those giant pickles in the foreground. Also the bridge/MW shots. One nit on the MW portion - is there a way you could tease out the red and orange hues up there? The images overall seem too heavy in the blues (unless you meant to make that the dominant theme).
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited August 28, 2015
    Crazy good set, Taz. Probably your finest work yet. clap.gif

The color in #11 is just killer. nod.gifthumb.gif
  • Options
    edited August 28, 2015
    David_S85 wrote: »
    Great set. Really like #'s 6 and 7 with those giant pickles in the foreground. Also the bridge/MW shots. One nit on the MW portion - is there a way you could tease out the red and orange hues up there? The images overall seem too heavy in the blues (unless you meant to make that the dominant theme).

Thanks David!!bowdown.gif
    The blueish milky way shots are result of over-shooting towards cooler temp. For first time I tried shooting at Kelvin instead of AWB. Hope was to get blueish sky but it went too far as i shot at 3300K. Probably 4K would be better. However, when I tried 4K, at least on the display it picked up orange/warm hue. So got some more learning to do!

The other point about red-and orange hue, if the it is regarding the bridge, that was experimentation too. In my Z-96 light it comes with warming filter and when I light painted, it makes the subject warm, just to see how it looks. If the point is about the sky, I tried to find it, but not seeing it. I know I de-saturated a ton on the soft filter I put on the sky.

Will experiment some more and see if better combination is found! Can't thanks enough for great feedback!
  • Options
    edited August 28, 2015
    kdog wrote: »
    Crazy good set, Taz. Probably your finest work yet. clap.gif

The color in #11 is just killer. nod.gifthumb.gif

Thank bro!bowdown.gifbow The fall/winter season is here, so intend to spend more time on coast! Will ping you next time and hope you have time! Truly miss shooting with you! Cheers!
  • Options
    JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,881 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2015
    What a beautiful set of pictures!! Outstanding. clap.gifbowdown.gifclapbowdown.gif
  • Options
    edited August 28, 2015
    Juano wrote: »
    What a beautiful set of pictures!! Outstanding. clap.gifbowdown.gifclapbowdown.gif

Many many thanks Cristobal!!wings.gif