Three reflection shots

RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator
edited June 6, 2010 in Street and Documentary
The first and last were taken in the Plaza Mayor, a Madrid landmark and one of my favorite hangouts. The middle one was on a street nearby.

883623538_HzS5A-XL-1.jpg
883614200_RrMCt-XL-1.jpg
883633131_GLZ9f-XL-1.jpg
Thanks for looking. C&C always welcome.

Comments

• bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2010
    The more I look the more I like #1.
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator
    edited June 4, 2010
    bfjr wrote: »
    The more I look the more I like #1.
    Thanks, Ben. I like it because it couldn't be more emblematic of Madrid if it tried--the landmark, the barman, the food. :D
  • PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2010
    I like the triptych effect in #1 Richard. Very cool.
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer
    ... I'm still peeling potatoes.

patti hinton photography
  • FlowermanFlowerman Registered Users Posts: 141 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2010
    I like #1 and #3. They talk to me of a place for great food.
  • lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2010
    Is that an accidental selfportrait in #1 in the reflection?
    Funny but I expected you to be walking around looking like your Avatar :)

I too like #1. I had not really latched on to the triptych effect until Patty mentioned it and now that I see it, I like the shot even more.

i think #2 is the winner here. "There are saints among us", it seems to say.
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited June 4, 2010
    Patti wrote: »
    I like the triptych effect in #1 Richard. Very cool.
    Many thanks Patti.
    Flowerman wrote: »
    I like #1 and #3. They talk to me of a place for great food.
    nod.gif
    :eatbinge.gifbread:slurp
    Is that an accidental selfportrait in #1 in the reflection?
    Funny but I expected you to be walking around looking like your Avatar :)
    Sometimes I feel like my avatar. :rutt I don't see my reflection, though.
    i think #2 is the winner here. "There are saints among us", it seems to say.
    Thanks. The large figure is San Isidro, patron saint of Madrid.
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2010
    I like all three. Theres a lot for me to enjoy and consider in each.
    Very thoughtful composing. :D
    Michael
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited June 4, 2010
    Oh boy, I really love these - especially the first two. #1 is my favorite - I like this kind of reflection pic - it has the feeling of a collage. #2 is growing on me, though - more subtle but perhaps offering more to think about. I'll have to think about it. rolleyes1.gif

Virginia

Email
  • gorallygorally Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
    edited June 4, 2010
    I really like the thrid one the most. The first two looks too busy to me. In #3, I can see the quiet of the inside vs the busy outside. The contrast is good and there isn't too many things to side track me, unlike the first two.
    Ed
    edited June 5, 2010
    Thanks for your comments, Michael, Virginia and Ed. This sort of pic can be confusing. They're not easy to control at all so some stuff gets into the frame that you really don't want at all. I suppose that's true of street shooting in general, but I think it's harder to "see" what's going to be visible to the camera because of the partly translucent nature of the reflections. Still, I have been having fun with them. My wife must find it puzzling to see me staring at shop windows so long lol3.gif.
  • craig_dcraig_d Registered Users Posts: 911 Major grins
    edited June 5, 2010
    I like #1 for the dark column framing the man inside, and #2 for the relationship of the statue to the man walking by not looking at it. #3 doesn't work for me.

Actually, for #1, part of what I like about it is that I still can't figure out exactly what I'm seeing. At first I thought the sky and the large building were reflected off a window between you and the food, but that doesn't quite seem right (wouldn't there be more of a mix of reflection and whatever is behind the window?), and I'm not at all sure what's causing the dark not-quite-vertical column in the middle. It's a weirder picture than it at first seems, which is pretty cool.
    http://craigd.smugmug.com

Got bored with digital and went back to film.
    edited June 6, 2010
    Thanks, Craig, glad you liked it. Yeah, this one is a head-scratcher. OK--you were right in the first place about the building and sky being reflected off the window. The stuff in the center and all of the food at the bottom are on the inside. The dark bar is the shadow of a column that was behind me while I was shooting, and it was what suppressed the reflections in that area. I got pretty excited when I saw it. lol3.gif