Barber Shop

ThelensspotThelensspot Registered Users Posts: 2,041 Major grins
edited April 8, 2015 in Other Cool Shots
This is a barber shop owned by Jim Lloyd. I was passing through this small town and saw his shop and had to stop. Mr. Lloyd happened to open up just after I arrived and I offered to pay the price of a hair cut for the opportunity to take some pictures. Of course he turned that down. He says people come in and play blue grass music together almost anytime. He's also on the town council. I was sure I had somehow found Mayberry, N.C. It's actually Rural Retreat, Va. He had a customer who came in just as I was leaving. The setting just yelled out to be done in B&W.

#1. At first the shop was closed and I took a picture through the window.

DSC_1904-edit-1-7-XL.jpg

#2. "The Chair" in early morning light. Yes, that's a bass fiddle leaning back on the right.

DSC_1944-edit-2-7-XL.jpg

#3. He has a banjo museum he has started on the wall and he told me that one of the banjo's was "one of only fifty like it in the world".

DSC_1937-EDIT-2-7-XL.jpg

#4. Yes that's a phone booth in the corner but I didn't ask if it worked.

DSC_1948-edit-2-7-XL.jpg

#5. Mr. Lloyd the barber and a really nice fellow.

DSC_1931-edit-2-7-2-XL.jpg
"Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

Comments

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator
    edited March 31, 2015
    Love it clap.gif. If I found a barber shop where they play bluegrass I'm sure I'd get my hair cut more often.
  • StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2015
    Nice set!thumb.gif
  • JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,878 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2015
    Great set and what a great find too!
  • ThelensspotThelensspot Registered Users Posts: 2,041 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2015
    Richard wrote: »
    Love it clap.gif. If I found a barber shop where they play bluegrass I'm sure I'd get my hair cut more often.

Thanks Richard. This means a great deal from someone who posts some great B&W shots.
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    Nice set!thumb.gif

Only wish they were equal to yours, Taz!
    Juano wrote: »
    Great set and what a great find too!

Juano, Thanks for looking at the shots and the kind comments. Means a lot!
    "Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

• EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2015
    Fantastic and interesting. Maybe a bit more contrast in number 3 just to give a bit more attention and detail to banjos, but still....great!
    edited March 31, 2015
    Eia wrote: »
    Fantastic and interesting. Maybe a bit more contrast in number 3 just to give a bit more attention and detail to banjos, but still....great!

AnnaMaria, thanks for the kind comments. I think you're exactly right on #3. The banjo heads came out a little "gray". So I did a little of this and a little of that with curves in PS and posted the new pic above. Let me know what you think.

• EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2015
    Yep....thumb.gif shows the instruments nicely IMHO
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator
    edited April 1, 2015
    Great find! You've got to wonder what the ratio of haircuts to music playing is.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
    edited April 1, 2015
    David_S85 wrote: »
    Great find! You've got to wonder what the ratio of haircuts to music playing is.

David, I would say about the same as the SNR on a lot of my pictures! :D

• Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2015
    What a wonderful find!! And the conversion to B&W is extremely well done. I especially like #2 & 5.

Btw how far is that place from Gainesville?

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2015
    Jack'll do wrote: »
    What a wonderful find!! And the conversion to B&W is extremely well done. I especially like #2 & 5.

15524779-Ti.gif Got to go with Jack on this one. The conversion work is outstanding.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,030 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2015
    edited April 1, 2015
    Jack'll do wrote: »

Jack, you are so kind. You're wayyyyy up there in NOVA land! Rural Retreat is about 286 miles from your general area. Pretty much a run directly down I-81. Thanks for looking at the thread! I must say I did a LOT of slider sliding both in LR5 and then more PP in PS.
    15524779-Ti.gif Got to go with Jack on this one. The conversion work is outstanding.

Tom

Tom, this really means a great deal to me coming from a DGrin "vet" such as yourself! Thanks so much. This was a VERY fun photog shoot!
    Cavalier wrote: »
    Just - bowdown.gif

Jo, as I've said before...You're just the best!

BTW, #5 is an HDR composite of five exposures. Otherwise the corner of the room with the banjo museum was going to be dark! I still think your HDR shots are some of the best!

• roaddog52roaddog52 Registered Users Posts: 1,323 Major grins
    edited April 2, 2015
    Wonderful set of images; great historical feel with the B&W conversions. Job well done! thumb.gifthumb

Phil
    I don't know where I'm going, but I'm going anyway.

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity!
    edited April 2, 2015
    roaddog52 wrote: »
    Wonderful set of images; great historical feel with the B&W conversions. Job well done! thumb.gifthumb

Phil

Phil, nice of you to say so. Thanks!

• kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited April 7, 2015
    Wow, what an amazing find. Great job capturing it too. I'll bet the owner would love some prints.
  • CCoopCCoop Registered Users Posts: 511 Major grins
    edited April 8, 2015
    Love these! I am aware how nicely the scene is lighted, all the way from the window to the banjo corner. A great find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    edited April 8, 2015
    CCoop wrote: »
    Love these! I am aware how nicely the scene is lighted, all the way from the window to the banjo corner. A great find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carter, thanks for the kind comments. I always appreciate your input!