Iceland

MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
edited April 19, 2015 in Landscapes
Traveled to Iceland last month and was thrilled with the variety of photographic opportunities.

21615-5-L.jpg

21715-5-L.jpg

21815-9-L.jpg

22015-1%20%282%29-L.jpg

22015-9%20%282%29-L.jpg

22015-12%20%282%29-L.jpg

7. Self portrait
21915-4a-L.jpg

22015-7-L.jpg

22015-21-L.jpg

21915-9a-L.jpg

Comments

• anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2015
    WOW, WOW, WOW!!! Great stuff! How long were you in Iceland?
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2015
    Stuff of dream Mitchell! Iceland has recently moved to #1 on my wish/dream list!
    Your great work further strengthens that decision!
    Bravo!
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited March 30, 2015
    anwmn1 wrote: »
    WOW, WOW, WOW!!! Great stuff! How long were you in Iceland?

Thanks, Aaron.

I was in Iceland for one week. We spent most of our time in the southeast near Jökulsárlón which is the famous glacial lagoon. We would rise each morning to try and catch the sunrise on the ice washed up on the black beach.
    edited March 30, 2015
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    Stuff of dream Mitchell! Iceland has recently moved to #1 on my wish/dream list!
    Your great work further strengthens that decision!
    Bravo!

Thanks for looking. There was so much to see. These barely scratch the surface. Iceland was a wonderful winter destination. Our guide lamented the crowds in the summer now that Iceland has been "discovered".
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited March 31, 2015
    Beautiful shots, Mitchel and terrific variety. Hard to have a favorite here. #4 looks like a big frozen whale's tail. :D
  • Tim TuckerTim Tucker Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited March 31, 2015
    Excellent. Thanks for posting.
    edited March 31, 2015
    kdog wrote: »
    Beautiful shots, Mitchel and terrific variety. Hard to have a favorite here. #4 looks like a big frozen whale's tail. :D

Thanks.

Looking over all the photos I took that week, the variety is what I find most striking. Incredible to me how accessible all of these locations were. Most were just off the main "ring road".

We could pull over and walk a few steps to see

21715-6-L.jpg
  • CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,030 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2015
    Terrific series, Mitch. As I scrolled down through the set, the number of Wow's got larger and more intense! And to think how accessible the sights are - my kind of photo-op!

I love all the shots of the ice on the black sand beach and the beautiful blue of the ice caves, but #10 is my favorite - the clarity, composition and colors are outstanding. Well done.
    edited March 31, 2015
    Cavalier wrote: »
    Terrific series, Mitch. As I scrolled down through the set, the number of Wow's got larger and more intense! And to think how accessible the sights are - my kind of photo-op!

I love all the shots of the ice on the black sand beach and the beautiful blue of the ice caves, but #10 is my favorite - the clarity, composition and colors are outstanding. Well done.

Thanks, Jo.

#10 is one of my favorites from the trip. I just had it printed on aluminum 20x30 to hang in my office. It came out beautifully.
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator
    edited March 31, 2015
    These are beautiful Mitchell.
    My favorite is #3 - the people give the photo an amazing sense of scale.

--- Denise
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2015
    These are wonderful images. They beg....no demand to be printed and displayed on your walls.

Sam
  • roaddog52roaddog52 Registered Users Posts: 1,323 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2015
    A great set of images. Visually stunning colors and compositions. thumb.gifthumb

Phil
    I don't know where I'm going, but I'm going anyway.

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity!
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2015
    WowZer.... 1,4,5 are my faves. I see 4 on a huge metal print hanging. Serious stuff you got here!clap.gif
  • pmbpropmbpro Registered Users Posts: 236 Major grins
    edited April 6, 2015
    These images are breathtaking, Mitchell! My gosh!

I was already actually planning a trip there for this year, then I see your beautiful photographs here. So inspiring. iloveyou.gif

Thank you so much for sharing them with us.

Just curious... what gear did you take with you on your trip?
    pmb images
    Film/TV Stills Photography
    "When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt." ~ Henry J. Kaiser
  • bocoboco Registered Users Posts: 710 Major grins
    edited April 7, 2015
    edited April 7, 2015
    boco wrote: »
    een heel mooie reeks.
    grt,boco.

Dank.
    edited April 7, 2015
    pmbpro wrote: »
    These images are breathtaking, Mitchell! My gosh!

I was already actually planning a trip there for this year, then I see your beautiful photographs here. So inspiring. iloveyou.gif

Thank you so much for sharing them with us.

Just curious... what gear did you take with you on your trip?

Thanks, Paula.

These were all shot with a Nikon D800e. I brought a D700 as a backup. Two women on my trip came without a backup camera and both had issues after we spen one day shooting in the rain.

Sturdy tripod is my best advice along with waterproof boots and pants!

90% of my shots were taken with a Nikon 14-24mm lens. A good wide angle lens with a few ND filters is a must for Iceland.

I brought a bunch of other lenses but rarely used them. I did shoot a bit with a Nikon 70-200mm, f2.8.

If/when I go back, I will travel a bit lighter.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have other questions as your trip approaches.
    edited April 11, 2015
    Thanks so much, Mitchell!

I was going to travel to Europe (Germany) and take advantage of the free 7-day layover in Iceland that their airline offers, which I can do on the way, or on return. Or I may just go straight to Iceland only, for longer than a week. :) I can only go in the Summer right now though.

My intention is to take a couple of regular Day tours to start (eg the horseback riding/Whale watching combo, and maybe one of the hikes/walks).
    http://www.icelandontheweb.com/tours/day-tours
    Mitchell wrote: »
    90% of my shots were taken with a Nikon 14-24mm lens. A good wide angle lens with a few ND filters is a must for Iceland.

Hmmm... Regarding photo gear, I already had planned on getting a used D800 for other work I do (concerts/performances and films) mainly for larger prints and crop allowance, but for now, I already have:

- two D700 bodies
    - Nikon AF-S 80-200 f2.8
    - Tamron 28-75 f2.8
    - Nikon AF-S 50mm f1.8
    - Nikon AF-S 85mm f1.8

As far as lenses go, I haven't done a lot of landscapes (a new area for me, yet can't afford the Nikon 14-24mm :cry), but I was already looking to get a wider lens for it. The widest I have right now is 28mm (on my Tamron 28-75mm mid-zoom), and was going to take that, and my 80-200mm with my two D700 bodies, leaving the rest at home.

I guess I'll have to buy that wider lens first then, so that would be 3 lenses, max. I'll bring my Manfrotto 190XPROB Tripod (w/ 486RC2 Ball Head). Hopefully that'll be good enough? It'll be my first time travelling with one.

This was the wider lens I was looking at that I can afford, the "Rokinon 14mm Ultra Wide-Angle f/2.8 IF ED UMC":
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/769555-REG/Rokinon_FE14MAF_N_14mm_Ultra_Wide_Angle_f_2_8.html

Thanks for the ND filter tip too. I didn't think of that. I have circular polarizers, but not NDs.

I also have an Olympus OMD-EM5 I 'may' possibly take for times when I just wanna walk around with hardly anything (or make it easier for others to use it to photograph me.rolleyes1.gif).
    Two women on my trip came without a backup camera and both had issues after we spen one day shooting in the rain.

Ouch! I definitely don't want that. One of my fears which has caused me to 'overpack' on past trips anywhere.

I appreciate your tips on what I can consider packing, especially for the weather. If I have more specific questions/comments, I hope I can PM you, so I don't hijack this wonderful photo thread (unless others are interested too).

Thanks again! :)
    pmb images
    edited April 13, 2015
    Paula, you definitely need something wider than your 28-75mm. Most of my shots were at or pretty close to 14mm.

I've got no personal experience with the Rokinon 14mm, but from what I read, it's a great value for the money. Manual focusing will not be an issue for all of the landscapes.
  • fool4thecityfool4thecity Registered Users Posts: 632 Major grins
    edited April 16, 2015
    Very professional, top quality images. Wow! Inspiring imagery.
    edited April 19, 2015
    Paula, you definitely need something wider than your 28-75mm. Most of my shots were at or pretty close to 14mm.

I've got no personal experience with the Rokinon 14mm, but from what I read, it's a great value for the money. Manual focusing will not be an issue for all of the landscapes.

Wow, yeah. I was figuring your shots were close to the 14mm end.
    I'd read the Rokinon reviews as well, and saw photo samples that users posted online. I also know someone who bought one and vouched for it. Unfortunately they lived too far away for me to try out out. Like you wrote though, I also agree it appears to be a great value for the money.

I will be ordering mine from B&H (nice that they offer free shipping to Canada now too). :D
    pmb images