Assign previously uploaded photo to Lightroom plugin

bokehlover71bokehlover71 Registered Users Posts: 156 Major grins
edited May 25, 2015 in SmugMug Support
Is it possible to assign/link a previously uploaded photo on Smugmug to the Lightroom plugin so it synchronizes with the correct photo in Lightroom? If I just upload the photo from the plugin now, it will most likely come in addition to the old one, and get a new address, so old web links will be invalid, and any comments will be gone.

Comments

• rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2015
    Check out the "sync photos" feature in the SmugMug Lightroom publish service. For it to work, you have to have the photos in question in your Lightroom catalog already as the plug-in won't download any photos from SmugMug. For additional information using the feature, check out the sync photos section in the FAQ.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • bokehlover71bokehlover71 Registered Users Posts: 156 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2015
    Check out the "sync photos" feature in the SmugMug Lightroom publish service. For it to work, you have to have the photos in question in your Lightroom catalog already as the plug-in won't download any photos from SmugMug. For additional information using the feature, check out the sync photos section in the FAQ.

Thanks! I found this on the FAQ page:

Q: What does "Sync Photos" do?

A: This will scan your SmugMug galleries and attempt to match them to photos that already exist in your Lightroom catalog, then link them.

Does anybody know what criteria the plugin looks for when trying to match photos? Could it be the capture time?
  • rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2015
    The publish service is using multiple criteria to match photos. If it can't seem to match a photo, there's likely too much difference between the actual photo that is on SmugMug and the one in Lightroom.

You could try renaming the file in Lightoom to the filename that you used when you uploaded the file to SmugMug. To look up the filename on SmugMug, go to the photo and click the photo info button below the photo when viewing it large. If that doesn't show, you may have to enable "show camera info" in the gallery settings > appearance section.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
    edited May 24, 2015
    The publish service is using multiple criteria to match photos. If it can't seem to match a photo, there's likely too much difference between the actual photo that is on SmugMug and the one in Lightroom.

You could try renaming the file in Lightoom to the filename that you used when you uploaded the file to SmugMug. To look up the filename on SmugMug, go to the photo and click the photo info button below the photo when viewing it large. If that doesn't show, you may have to enable "show camera info" in the gallery settings > appearance section.
    Thanks a lot! I will try this.

But I may also have the opposite problem: I have just moved from Aperture to Lightroom, and therefore all my raw files have lost their adjustments. I only have the old Aperture previews to see how they were before. I will re-publish many photos little by little when they are re-developed in Lightroom, but until that, it will be disastrous if some of the un-developed raw files are synced to SmugMug. But I guess the solution then will be to mark them as up to date in the "Modified photos to republish" window in Lightroom.
  • FergusonFerguson Registered Users Posts: 1,339 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2015
    I will re-publish many photos little by little when they are re-developed in Lightroom, but until that, it will be disastrous if some of the un-developed raw files are synced to SmugMug. But I guess the solution then will be to mark them as up to date in the "Modified photos to republish" window in Lightroom.

I would not do this.

All it takes is a very tiny change to make that photo be republished. Most (e.g. keyword change) will just push metadata which might be acceptable, but if you are doing a mass conversion it seems all too likely you might apply a mass preset or otherwise touch a photo and suddenly (and maybe without your realizing it at all) it is set to republish.

If you are working methodically by gallery, I'd be tempted instead to not link the plugin to the gallery until you are ready to push that whole gallery up. You could sync then, or just delete on smugmug and push again.

I sure don't envy you re-editing all old photos, though I guess it gives a good opportunity to clean house.
    edited May 25, 2015
    Ferguson wrote: »
    I would not do this.

All it takes is a very tiny change to make that photo be republished.
    Oops, I already did it. I scanned my entire library, and I think it found as good as all my published photos. The plugin works great. And luckily no photos are re-published until I hit the OK button. So I just have to be careful not to do that accidentally, and mark all un-developed photos as up-to-date.
  • FergusonFerguson Registered Users Posts: 1,339 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2015
    All it takes is self discipline!

Yes, the LR plugin is a real bright spot, while it has quirks occasionally I use it to maintain the content on my whole photo web site, and it's very quick and easy.