SM "site within site"?

TeetimeTeetime Registered Users Posts: 202 Major grins
edited May 19, 2016 in SmugMug Customization
I have my business SM site (TakeOneSolutions.com) and a personal "site within a site" for my personal photos. Everything for this personal site resides under its own top level folder in my Take One Solutions site. The personal site uses a different customized theme and has its own menu structure. But the fly in the ointment is if you click the Home icon in the breadcrumb you are taken to the real home: TakeOneSolutions.com. Is there a way through css or html to redesignate the home address for this "site within a site" to be its home folder?
Jerry

Comments

• AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,008 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2015
    Teetime wrote: »
    I have my business SM site (TakeOneSolutions.com) and a personal "site within a site" for my personal photos. Everything for this personal site resides under its own top level folder in my Take One Solutions site. The personal site uses a different customized theme and has its own menu structure. But the fly in the ointment is if you click the Home icon in the breadcrumb you are taken to the real home: TakeOneSolutions.com. Is there a way through css or html to redesignate the home address for this "site within a site" to be its home folder?
    The only thing I can think of is changing the full breadcrumb by hiding the "Home" link.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
    edited November 22, 2015
    This is rough but maybe something like this. First line is top folder, 2nd line is all below flowing down from that top folder.

[strike].sm-page-node-12345 .sm-breadcrumb li:first-child, [/strike]
    .sm-page-parentnode-12345 .sm-breadcrumb li:first-child a {display:none}

Actually, you would probably be better to remove breadcrumb from top folder.

Removes chevron ">" after home icon
    .sm-page-parentnode-12345 .sm-breadcrumb li:nth-child(2) {display:none}

Final combined CSS rule
    .sm-page-parentnode-12345 .sm-breadcrumb li:nth-child(2),

If you go to the top folder and look in the <body> tag (page source) you will see this with its unique number.
    .sm-page-node-12345 (some other number)

Replace the red number with that node number for the CSS
    .sm-page-parentnode-12345
  • TeetimeTeetime Registered Users Posts: 202 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2015
    Allen wrote: »
    This is rough but maybe something like this. First line is top folder, 2nd line is all below flowing down from that top folder.

[strike].sm-page-node-12345 .sm-breadcrumb li:first-child, [/strike]

Actually, you would probably be better to remove breadcrumb from top folder.

Final combined CSS rule
    .sm-page-parentnode-12345 .sm-breadcrumb li:nth-child(2),

If you go to the top folder and look in the <body> tag (page source) you will see this with its unique number.
    .sm-page-node-12345 (some other number)

Replace the red number with that node number for the CSS
    .sm-page-parentnode-12345

Allen, thanks for the help. I've done as you said but must be missing something, as I still have the home symbol in the breadcrumbs when below the Personal folder. Here is the code I placed in the "entire site" CSS:
    /* Remove "home" from breadcrumbs below personal folder level */
    .sm-page-parentnode-vgwfKR .sm-breadcrumb li:nth-child(2),
    .sm-page-parentnode-vgwfKR .sm-breadcrumb li:first-child a {display:none}

Does the syntax and parent node look correct to you? I notice the node I found is the same id SM appends to the url when I visit my top level personal folder, so I am thinking this is correct. But yours is all numbers and mine is alpha characters.

Also, when I do get this working, it appears to me it is still going to show the home symbol in the url if a visitor does a keyword search since they will be redirected to the keyword system page- correct?

I also tried setting up a subdomain "personal.takeonesolutions.com" hoping the redirect to the personal folder would make that the new "home" but no dice.
    Jerry

edited November 22, 2015
    Allen, thanks for the help. I've done as you said but must be missing something, as I still have the home symbol in the breadcrumbs when below the Personal folder. Here is the code I placed in the "entire site" CSS:

Does the syntax and parent node look correct to you? I notice the node I found is the same id SM appends to the url when I visit my top level personal folder, so I am thinking this is correct. But yours is all numbers and mine is alpha characters.

Also, when I do get this working, it appears to me it is still going to show the home symbol in the url if a visitor does a keyword search since they will be redirected to the keyword system page- correct?

I also tried setting up a subdomain "personal.takeonesolutions.com" hoping the redirect to the personal folder would make that the new "home" but no dice.
    Go to the top level folder . In the <body> tag in the class="... " section Look for .sm-page-node-xxxxx
    You will see a parentnode there also but that is parent above this folder. Did you grab the node one?

Got a link to the top folder? Is this it? Take One Solutions

<body style="" class="sm-page sm-page-node sm-page-node-6K8cD sm-page-parentnode-MnvHf sm-page-initialized">

.sm-page-parentnode-6K8cD .sm-breadcrumb li:nth-child(2),
    .sm-page-parentnode-6K8cD .sm-breadcrumb li:first-child a {display:none}
    edited November 23, 2015

Allen, I think I have the correct one:
    <body class="sm-user-loggedin sm-user-owner sm-page sm-page-node [COLOR="Red"]sm-page-node-vgwfKR[/COLOR] sm-page-parentnode-MnvHf">

Here is the url: http://www.takeonesolutions.com/Personal/n-vgwfKR

I am beginning to rethink my whole design approach on this "Personal" side of my site. My original thinking was I wanted to avoid putting "Personal" in the main site navbar as I thought it looked less than professional. Instead, I planned to provide the "Personal" link to friends and family. With that approach, I need breadcrumbs on the personal side because some of my galleries go several levels deep and the visitor needs a way to get back to the top "Personal" level. This is why I want to remove [Home] from the breadcrumb because clicking [Home] will essentially kick them out of the "Personal" sub site. However, now I am thinking that even if I can get the above CSS to work, I still have the [Home] problem if the visitor uses search or keyword to go to photos, since the breadcrumb will then include [Home] >> Keyword. If this is in fact true, I see three possible solutions:

1. Purchase a second SM subscription for a new site and separate the two
    2. Use a new "just this page" navbar for all folders and galleries on the "Personal" side
    3. Add "Personal" to the site-wide navbar menu.

Obviously 3 would be easiest. Is there a 4th option I'm not considering?
    Jerry

edited November 23, 2015
    Why is the page (folder?) unlisted? I don't think you need that when it has a password. The "unlisted" setting will flow down to
    everything below and nothing will appear in any box. BTW, that page/link has a password so can't help there.

You can create a Personal menu to display from top folder to all below and hide public menu from same area.

I moved every family folder/gallery/page under a top family folder. The top folder has the password which is inherited by everything below.
    All settings are fully public, the PW blocks unwanted visitors. Once PW is entered, on any page, they have full use of search and keywords
    just like a public site.
    edited November 23, 2015
    Why is the page (folder?) unlisted? I don't think you need that when it has a password. The "unlisted" setting will flow down to
    everything below and nothing will appear in any box. BTW, that page/link has a password so can't help there.

You can create a Personal menu to display from top folder to all below and hide public menu from same area.

I moved every family folder/gallery/page under a top family folder. The top folder has the password which is inherited by everything below.
    All settings are fully public, the PW blocks unwanted visitors. Once PW is entered, on any page, they have full use of search and keywords
    just like a public site.

Allen, I have changed my setting to public and is already only at the top folder level. My reason for unlisting them was thinking I didn't want them to show up in google searches since it is not public and can't be accessed w/o pw. Is there another way to prevent this part of the site to show in google?

I'm very interested in your comment about creating a Personal menu to display from top folder to all below. I think that could solve my problem. When adding a menu I see choices for either entire site, or this folder only. How do I add a menu to the Personal folder so it flows to all below?

EDIT: Allen, I found this post where you discuss the way to add two navbars to the site and then explicitly select which navbar to use on a page-by-page basis, by hiding one and showing the other. Is that what you recommend for me?
    Jerry

edited November 23, 2015
    This will remove public menu from Personal and flow down.
    /* Remove Public menu from personal folder and below */
    .sm-page-node-vgwfKR .sm-page-widget-1621404,
    .sm-page-parentnode-vgwfKR .sm-page-widget-1621404 {display:none}

edited November 23, 2015
    This will remove public menu from Personal and flow down.
    /* Remove Public menu from personal folder and below */

Using this technique I was able to replace the public menu throughout the personal folder and below. I also had to do the same for the search and keyword system pages. But it is working well for me now. Thanks much for your help Allen!
    Jerry

edited November 23, 2015
    Using this technique I was able to replace the public menu throughout the personal folder and below. I also had to do the same for the search and keyword system pages. But it is working well for me now. Thanks much for your help Allen!
    Looks great, glad you got it all worked out.
    edited November 29, 2015
    Looks great, glad you got it all worked out.

I've discovered a problem with my "site within a site" and I'm having trouble finding a fix.

Background
    I have a standard navbar/menu for my main site. Once you go into the (hidden) personal section of my site I hide the main navbar and instead use a sidebar menu. The personal section is in the /Personal folder off the root. My CSS triggers the menu change if the visitor is at or below the /Personal folder. This has worked well except for the following problem.

The Problem
    If you on a mobile device small enough to cause the menu to reconfigure, and go to the home page you get the main navbar/menu AND below it you get my sidebar menu from the personal part of the site. So apparently, SM finds all menus anywhere in the site, converts them to mobile style once that 670px size is reached, and displays them. Can anyone suggest a way to prevent this menu from ever showing if the visitor is not in the /Personal folder?
    Jerry

edited November 29, 2015
    Looks to me to be a bug in the Smugmug code.
    edited November 29, 2015
    Looks to me to be a bug in the Smugmug code.

I think so too, Allen. I hope there is a workaround lurking out there somewhere.
    Jerry

edited November 30, 2015
    I've sent this off to SM Heroes. In the meantime I've been poking around here and I find this by Leftquark where he is successfully using two menus and showing/hiding in CSS. My technique looks similar to his, so I am confused as to why mine isn't working, unless this is something that has changed in SM's code.

This is the CSS I am using. Anyone see an issue:
    /* Remove Public menu from personal folder and below, and search/keyword pages */
    .sm-page-node-XXV76 .sm-page-widget-1621404,
    .sm-page-node-73DXV .sm-page-widget-1621404,

/* Display Personal side bar menu only on personal folder and below, and search/keyword pages */
    .sm-page-layout-region-left {display:none}
    .sm-page-node-vgwfKR .sm-page-layout-region-left,
    .sm-page-node-73DXV .sm-page-layout-region-left,
    .sm-page-parentnode-vgwfKR .sm-page-layout-region-left,
    .sm-page-node-XXV76 .sm-page-layout-region-left {display:block}

Jerry

edited November 30, 2015
    I've sent this off to SM Heroes. In the meantime I've been poking around here and I find this by Leftquark where he is successfully using two menus and showing/hiding in CSS. My technique looks similar to his, so I am confused as to why mine isn't working, unless this is something that has changed in SM's code.

This is the CSS I am using. Anyone see an issue:
    /* Remove Public menu from personal folder and below, and search/keyword pages */
    .sm-page-node-XXV76 .sm-page-widget-1621404,
    .sm-page-node-73DXV .sm-page-widget-1621404,

/* Display Personal side bar menu only on personal folder and below, and search/keyword pages */
    .sm-page-layout-region-left {display:none}
    .sm-page-node-vgwfKR .sm-page-layout-region-left,
    .sm-page-node-73DXV .sm-page-layout-region-left,
    .sm-page-parentnode-vgwfKR .sm-page-layout-region-left,
    .sm-page-node-XXV76 .sm-page-layout-region-left {display:block}

Ok, in case someone looks into this before I get back here - I've got it almost figured out. The problem is, the menu and other content blocks in the "Personal" sidebar have different ID's for mobile, so I have to explicitly turn those on and off too.

EDIT: It is now fixed. This sure would be difficult without Screenfly!
    Jerry

• leftquarkleftquark Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,784 Many Grins
    edited November 30, 2015
    Glad you were able to get it. I was about to chime in :)
    dGrin Afficionado
    Former SmugMug Product Team
    aaron AT aaronmphotography DOT com
    My SmugMug CSS Customizations website: http://www.aaronmphotography.com/Customizations
  • BigRedBigRed Registered Users Posts: 288 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2016

Since the January code change for breadcrumbs, this CSS doesn't work. Looks like the breadcrumb segments aren't LI's any more -- ?
    http://www.janicebrowne.com - Janice Browne Nature Art & Photography
    edited May 19, 2016
    Ok, in case someone looks into this before I get back here - I've got it almost figured out. The problem is, the menu and other content blocks in the "Personal" sidebar have different ID's for mobile, so I have to explicitly turn those on and off too.

EDIT: It is now fixed. This sure would be difficult without Screenfly!

I've found one possible glitch in my strategy. In my "Personal" sidebar I have some H1 text that says "Family & Friends photos". Because this is merely hidden on non-personal pages it still shows up in Google searches and may be negatively affecting my SEO for my primary site. I'm currently trying to figure out the best way to resolve this.
    Jerry