More Big Iron

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins
edited February 13, 2016 in Other Cool Shots
1930 Duesenberg model J LeBaron

Amelia%202013%20156-X2.jpg

Amelia%202013%20151-X2.jpg

1929 DuPont Model G

Amelia%202013%20209-X2.jpg

Not everyone who loves all kinds of cars is aware that the Duesenberg company, manufacturer of probably this country's finest automobiles in the 20's and 30's, was originally very much into racing.
The example shown below is the finest one I have personally seen. It was made in 1915.

The engine in this car is quite unique. It is referred to as a " walking beam " engine. In this case, it's a 300 C.I. motor putting out 100 H.P. at 2,500 R.P.M. Its overhead valves are directly activated by two-foot long rocker arms. This engine design also showed up in some of their " street ' cars.

Amelia%202011%20190-X2.jpg

Amelia%202011%20197-X2.jpg

Amelia%202011%20200-X2.jpg
I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2016
    Wow! Some amazing cars in there! I have no clue about them, but just beauty is pleasing!
  • sarasphotossarasphotos Registered Users Posts: 3,822 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2016
    Another set of great shots! I especially like #2 with all of the different greens.

Cheers, Sara
  • ThelensspotThelensspot Registered Users Posts: 2,041 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2016
    Really Really nice! That green car in the first pic is now my new dream car!

Take care,

Wayne
    "Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

• CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,030 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2016
  • EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2016
    Beautiful work Tom!
    I especially appreciate the chance to see the Duesenberg racer... cool!
    I'd love to have that AAA badge....
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2016
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    Wow! Some amazing cars in there! I have no clue about them, but just beauty is pleasing!

That's the good news, Taz, You don't have to know " car speak " to appreciate the art represented by these cars.

Take care,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
    edited February 6, 2016
    Another set of great shots! I especially like #2 with all of the different greens.

Cheers, Sara

It's interesting, Sara, that the color palettes seen in the more expensive cars of the 20's and 30's exceed in range compared to what we see today. Those old boys back then enjoyed their colors.

Take care,

Tom
    edited February 6, 2016
    Really Really nice! That green car in the first pic is now my new dream car!

Take care,

Wayne

Thanks for the visit, Wayne. That green Duesenberg has long been a favorite of mine.

See you,

Tom
    edited February 6, 2016
    Cavalier wrote: »
    15524779-Ti.gif

I agree as well, Jo.

Take care,

Tom
    edited February 6, 2016
    Earache wrote: »
    Beautiful work Tom!
    I especially appreciate the chance to see the Duesenberg racer... cool!
    I'd love to have that AAA badge....

Thanks for committing, Eric. You can go to a lot of great shows and never see a Duesenberg racer. In this case I was stunned to come across several of them.

I've also had my eye on that AAA badge. I wonder at what point it was attached to the car.

See you buddy,

Tom
  • dspdsp Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited February 6, 2016
    Here's more information on the 1915 Duesenberg Indianapolis Racer if anyone is interested:

http://www.conceptcarz.com/z18247/Duesenberg-Indianapolis-Racer.aspx

Might help answer the question about the AAA badge, it ran the 1916 Sheephead Bay AAA 1000.
    I like reading about the history of old racers, thought others might, too.
    edited February 7, 2016
    dsp wrote: »
    Here's more information on the 1915 Duesenberg Indianapolis Racer if anyone is interested:

http://www.conceptcarz.com/z18247/Duesenberg-Indianapolis-Racer.aspx

Might help answer the question about the AAA badge, it ran the 1916 Sheephead Bay AAA 1000.
    I like reading about the history of old racers, thought others might, too.

Thanks for the additional info. The more we can talk up the history behind the cars we admire, the greater the benefit will be for all of us car guys.

Take care,

Tom
  • JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,878 Major grins
    edited February 11, 2016
    Nice stuff! Well done Tom.
    edited February 11, 2016
    Juano wrote: »
    Nice stuff! Well done Tom.

Thanks, Cristóbal. I appreciate your continued support.

Take care buddy,

Tom
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2016
    I love seeing all the cars you photograph. Seen any nice red one's lately :D
    edited February 13, 2016
    Dogdots wrote: »
    I love seeing all the cars you photograph. Seen any nice red one's lately :D

Gosh, Mary, what a real treat to hear from you. I trust you and John are doing well.

Keep your eyes open.....I've always got a nice one or two red jewels tucked away just for you. :D

Stay warm,

Tom