Map this - Google Map

2»

Comments

• piolet_rampepiolet_rampe Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
    edited May 1, 2013
    Baldy wrote: »
    Nice pointer, Derek. What do you think of them? I've been reading through their forums and it seems like they're mainly getting flamed, but some people like them.

Just discovered this thread from a separate post I started over in support but not in the bug reporting.

It is disappointing that Google Earth are being extortionists with regards to embedding their mapping in our pages. I have found this most useful for my needs. It is understandable that SM doesn't want to spend that cash on something that all users may not need. I don't use the shopping cart or commercial features through so perhaps this service may no longer be for me. I do like the fact that with SmugMug it is my service, and not the property of another company, such as is the case with Facebook.

The new mapping / geography is so bad, I would recommend that SM just eliminate it altogether, rather than allow something so second rate.
  • mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2013
    Just discovered this thread from a separate post I started over in support but not in the bug reporting.

It is disappointing that Google Earth are being extortionists with regards to embedding their mapping in our pages. I have found this most useful for my needs. It is understandable that SM doesn't want to spend that cash on something that all users may not need. I don't use the shopping cart or commercial features through so perhaps this service may no longer be for me. I do like the fact that with SmugMug it is my service, and not the property of another company, such as is the case with Facebook.

The new mapping / geography is so bad, I would recommend that SM just eliminate it altogether, rather than allow something so second rate.

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback. As Baldy stated, we do understand the limitations of the current SmugMap, and will be addressing this issue.

Michael
  • jlayesphotojlayesphoto Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited September 28, 2013
    RSS Feed smugmug to Google Maps
    danilohegg wrote: »
    Now I was wondering: through the Smugmug RSS feeds, I've been able to create a google map with links to my photographs.
    I've been able to overcome the 150 placemarks limitation, and I'm able to embed this map in my biography. ...

Below is the link to the google map I've created by exporting RSS feeds. The one I've linked to my home page is even better, in that it uses New Zealand topographic maps overlaid onto Google Maps.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=https:%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2Fmaps%2Fms%3Fauthuser%3D0%26vps%3D10%26ie%3DUTF8%26hl%3Den%26oe%3DUTF8%26msa%3D0%26output%3Dkml%26msid%3D205582318296631628947.0004bec6e5a758084dbed&hl=en&ll=-44.276671,170.211182&spn=4.06693,10.821533&sll=37.996163,-95.712891&sspn=35.550855,86.572266&t=p&z=7

S

Hi there, danilohegg,
    I was wondering if you could briefly explain on how you did export the RSS feed to Google Map?

Thank you, Joachim
  • daniloheggdanilohegg Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited September 29, 2013
    I haven't learnt yet how to do it in the new Smugmug! Will have to learn in order to update my map eventually...
  • ablichterablichter Registered Users Posts: 294 Major grins
    edited September 29, 2013
    Baldy wrote: »
    Nice pointer, Derek. What do you think of them? I've been reading through their forums and it seems like they're mainly getting flamed, but some people like them.

An old post of you Baldy, but I thought I may step in here. What is it, that Google wants you to pay for, usage of their maps or their API/database?
    Because I wonder how small distributors of donation-ware like Geosetter are able to provide their services using Google's maps.
    Or geonames which provide free Geo databases and APIs and IMHO also use Google's maps.

Mapquest, which is what SM uses and Mapbox doesn't look good to me. Not at all.

There are alternatives, for example Flickr uses Leaflet (the map(s) seems to be from Nokia respectively from various sources) - I am not happy how Flickr implement this feature, but the maps looks much better than those used in here. IMHO.