Options

Wide, shallow image for web banner

CCoopCCoop Registered Users Posts: 511 Major grins
edited April 1, 2015 in Other Cool Shots
I was asked to contribute some pics of a recent event here in Atlanta. The assignment was to get some wide, shallow shots suitable for a web page banner, dimensions something like 900 x 200 pixels. Here are some of my submissions. None were selected. I welcome your comments on how to approach an opportunity like this, especially like, what to strive for in the shots. The event was to raise money for a particular cause here in Atlanta. Thanks, Carter
IMG_0508-XL.jpgIMG_0562-XL.jpg

Comments

• Options
    ThelensspotThelensspot Registered Users Posts: 2,041 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2015
    CCoop wrote: »
    I was asked to contribute some pics of a recent event here in Atlanta. The assignment was to get some wide, shallow shots suitable for a web page banner, dimensions something like 900 x 200 pixels. Here are some of my submissions. None were selected. I welcome your comments on how to approach an opportunity like this, especially like, what to strive for in the shots. The event was to raise money for a particular cause here in Atlanta. Thanks, Carter

Actually Carter, I think #1 would make a very good banner. Nice broad view and you catch the action of the start very nicely.
    "Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

• Options
    edited March 31, 2015
    Thank you for looking. In #1 I wondered about darkening the street, or "blueing" the sky for a more dramatic feel. And in #2 I thought about cloning out the power lines. Appreciate your comments! Carter
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,236 moderator
    edited March 31, 2015
    I think # 1 could work if it was cropped vertically. I would remove much of the image above the starting banner and probably a small amount from the bottom as well. I believe that the image as it exists right now is too tall to be used as a banner on a web site.

A banner should identify the site but not draw the eye away from the site's content. A large banner (from a height standpoint) does not entice the viewer to look at the site content.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2015
    I think # 1 could work if it was cropped vertically. I would remove much of the image above the starting banner and probably a small amount from the bottom as well. I believe that the image as it exists right now is too tall to be used as a banner on a web site.

A banner should identify the site but not draw the eye away from the site's content. A large banner (from a height standpoint) does not entice the viewer to look at the site content.

--- Denise
    I see now that 910 x 200 pixels was desired. I'll work on this. Thanks for the help!! Carter
  • Options
    redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2015
    I agree with Denise about #1. My first reaction was that the shot is too busy--the mass of people is of course busy but it is the purpose of the shot. The light poles, etc at the top are distracting and serve no purpose. With a better crop, I'd think this would be a strong shot for a web banner.

Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2015

--- Denise

Thank you so much for your helpful input. So here's the banner, in the requested 910 x 200 pixel count, much more focused, cropping out the horizon/sky/streetlight poles. I haven't enhanced the exposure. This is it, practically SOOC, just cropped 910 x 200 pixels to deliver the message. I appreciate your help! --CarterIMG_0508-XL-910x200-2.jpg
  • Options
    toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2015
    I like #1 also

There is much improvement in the last shot.

The inclusion of the word start (maybe centered) with the subjects burst is a good capture

Nice work..., I would like to see their choice
    Rags
  • Options
    edited March 31, 2015
    Carter, can you Photoshop or post-process the light poles out of the shot?
    "Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

• Options
    edited March 31, 2015
    Carter, can you Photoshop or post-process the light poles out of the shot?
    IMG_0508-XL-910x200-3-3.jpg
    Appreciate your insights: Now with 1. Light poles cloned out. 2. Grass greener. 3. Street darker. --Carter
  • Options
    edited April 1, 2015
    CCoop wrote: »
    IMG_0508-XL-910x200-3-3.jpg
    Appreciate your insights: Now with 1. Light poles cloned out. 2. Grass greener. 3. Street darker. --Carter

Much "cleaner" looking. Nice work. It would be nice if the stone columns to the left and right weren't in sight but that would require a significant lose of "panorama" effect (or maybe not). This is much improved.

• Options
    puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2015
    I'd also agree that the mods to 1 are taking things in the right direction ... a more focused look.
    Depending on your original file dimensions (and the relatively small target size) I'd also consider cropping both sides to get rid of the columns -as a fairly easy / quick fix.
    Yes, you'll lose a few runners - but would that matter ... I think not?

Ideally (imo, anyway) this probably would've been better with more separation between the front runners and the background ... it might be worth blurring the bg (if you feel so inclined :) ) to get the idea, maybe?
    But next time, (if there is one), maybe a longer focal length, wide open, with appropriate relative distances (if circumstances allowed) ie subjects closer to cam, + greater distance behind subjects to bg ... the Start banner would still be obvious, even if blurred.
    Btw, if you start losing the top off the start sign because of the column cropping, maybe just move it down a tad ?... no - one'll notice ... especially if it's blurred :)

pp