Travel camera

13»

Comments

• jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2015
    That makes things much more clear.
    divamum wrote: »
    We're talking at cross-purposes: this WOULD be paid shoots... that's why I'm working so hard at finding something I think would be acceptable quality if that happens!! Since I'm there to sing before I get to play, it's not really a "vacation" anyway - fun, but not entirely holiday. Also, I'm visiting my old stomping grounds, so a lot of people are friends/colleagues - I won't be a faceless tourist. And I'm ok squeezing in a couple of mini-headshot sessions while I'm there, as that could be some nice extra pocket change............. :)
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2015
    Posted my full thoughts in a new thread http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=1997562#post1997562
    edited May 18, 2015
    AND decision finally made: I'm keeping the g1x - $280 refurb with an extra $20 off because of the CLP.

As John mentioned above there would have to be some kind of compromise, and the one I'm most willing to make is af speed (I shoot with a 5dII - this is nothing new lol). The camera is great in the hand in that it feels like a "real" camera rather than a point-and-shoot, the controls are all right under my fingers because there's a front and back wheels for shutter/aperture just like on the Canon dSLRs, and the sensor is gorgeous. Would I like a faster lens, faster AF and wifi.... aka the G1xII - yup, you bet. But that's an extra $500 and I'm not willing to put that much money into this, so will put up with those niggles. It's a very, very good camera despite those shortcomings.

No complaints about image quality :)

(Trusty model :D ISO 1600 F5.6 ~47mm native lens)

i-HqN6tGJ.jpg

i-tDS9ws5.jpg
  • jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2015
    As a DSLR and X100S and S95 owner, I uncannily agree with 99.9% of everything John is telling you. But I suspect you are going to wring your hands over this for too long, and try/return too many cameras.

My .1% dissent is that I've given up trying to take any headshots with my X100S. I'd say a portrait from the bottom rib up is my limit, like the child above. A headshot like the young lady's above gives a Pete Townshend look.

John, when you say the shadow/highlight recovery is good, are you talking about raw? What software are you using? I had resigned to just shooting my X100S in jpeg mode, because it's my fun camera. I either accept the DR, or I delete the image.

EDIT - oops, I responded before reading the 2nd page of posts. I think the G1X is a good call. Big sensor, DOF control, jacket pocketable/pursable, great price = win. Let us know how the trip goes.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2015
    I'm using Adobe Camera Raw in Photoshop to convert the files. I tend to expose for highlights and bring shadows back up using the shadow slider or exposure adjustment brush for specific areas. The x100s is my fun camera but also serious camera. I just shot a weekend wedding event and I shot more with the x100s than I did the xt1/56, probably like a 60/40 ratio.

In a bind I step back for portraits and then crop but the x100s isn't a classic portrait camera unless you want the environment. Great for waist up and groups though.
    edited May 18, 2015

EDIT - oops, I responded before reading the 2nd page of posts. I think the G1X is a good call. Big sensor, DOF control, jacket pocketable/pursable, great price = win. Let us know how the trip goes.

thumb.gif

As I mentioned (see the "small camera roundup" thread), AF is every bit as slow as reviews say (think 50mm 1.8 lol), but I can live with that. I'm really pretty happy with it in the limited amount I've been able to use it so far; I'm looking forward to taking it and using it. I'm sure there will be moments of wishing I had the dSLR + 70-200... but not enough of them to make it worth carrying it!!! :D:D:D
    edited May 21, 2015
    Had a chance to play with the G1x out on a walk yesterday and am becoming increasingly impressed. My trusty model stepped in for me once again.... rolleyes1.gif

This was done with the ON BOARD flash. It's tiny, yet did well against some bright sun.

Without (underexposed - brightness in the next shot is about right)
    i-vMkVN6z-XL.jpg

With
    i-xxCQsWz-XL.jpg
  • Brett1000Brett1000 Registered Users Posts: 819 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2015
    Had a chance to play with the G1x out on a walk yesterday and am becoming increasingly impressed. My trusty model stepped in for me once again.... rolleyes1.gif

This was done with the ON BOARD flash. It's tiny, yet did well against some bright sun.

Without (underexposed - brightness in the next shot is about right)
    htL.jpg

With
    httL.jpg

the G1x is a good 'all in one' travel camera

I'm enjoying the "M" mirrorless (original model), it has no built-in flash but with the pancake lens and the ability to take the 50mm mkII lens it's looking like a good travel camera. I still haven't given it a workout but it looks good enough for the shots I've taken

Canon EOS M1
    with 50mm mkII
    f3.5

17868128579_31b5ff7362_h.jpg
    edited May 24, 2015
    ^That's fantastic! Does it need an adapter for eos lenses (I remember reading it natively takes eos M lenses?)
    edited May 27, 2015
    ^That's fantastic! Does it need an adapter for eos lenses (I remember reading it natively takes eos M lenses?)

it needs an adapter for the "non-M" lens but it's small. I can easily carry the M with the 22mm pancake in a regular pocket and the 50mm 1.8 mkII in a cargo pants pocket

17974263829_16ac23c751_b.jpg

another with the 50mm on the M

17456344764_55dd00d0e7_b.jpg
  • chaddchadd Registered Users Posts: 80 Big grins
    edited May 27, 2015
    You've made a right choice. The shots look amazing!
    edited May 27, 2015
    chadd wrote: »
    You've made a right choice. The shots look amazing!

I'm certainly happy with the G1x, but I think the shots Brett has from the EOS M are trumping all of them. WHy the HECK has the M line been so ignored, to the point of it not really being available in the US?!
    edited May 28, 2015
    I'm certainly happy with the G1x, but I think the shots Brett has from the EOS M are trumping all of them. WHy the HECK has the M line been so ignored, to the point of it not really being available in the US?!

probably because they don't want to cut into the DSLR sales but mirrorless will eventually outsell DSLRs especially when the AF gets on par for sports shooting. The newer models have an optional electronic viewfinder, more megapixels, etc. but cost more and you have to order them from overseas. It's nice to have a pocket size camera for events and walking around when you don't want to lug a camera bag. I'm now tempted to get more pancake lens like the 40mm 2.8. I wish they made a pocket size pancake 100-400 !

taken inside a game arcade

Canon EOS M1
    22mm pancake lens
    f2.0
    ISO 3200

17496209594_eafa3859d6_b.jpg
    edited May 28, 2015
    They're outstanding shots, Brett - I am REALLY impressed. Clearly they missed the boat by not offering "retro" styling like the Fuji, which seems to have taken over the APS-C mirrorless market. Canon definitely missed a trick there! I'm not comfortable buying gear on eBay (too many horror stories) so it never even occurred to me to look for the Eos-M; I'm very pleased with the G1x and have no regrets, but I thnk you've scored the best IQ:cost ratio out there!!!!! thumb.gif
  • jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited May 29, 2015

Yeah. Probably because it looks like something from 2003. But these shots sell it. AF is very slow though. The M3 looks very cool, if you're willing to source one.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
    edited June 1, 2015
    Yeah. Probably because it looks like something from 2003. But these shots sell it. AF is very slow though. The M3 looks very cool, if you're willing to source one.

the AF is slow but if you're not using it for sports or action it does a pretty good job. The touch screen and ergonomics (no VF) takes getting used to. Battery life is nothing to write home about.

I've used it now for a couple of events, some pics here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mmirrorless/

it's even a halfway decent concert camera !

18158503418_46ccfca1b4_b.jpgUntitled by c w, on Flickr