Options

Night time wedding shot.

Greg49Greg49 Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
edited October 12, 2012 in Weddings
Here is a shot from a recent wedding that I assisted with. The photo was taken in a courtyard off of the main reception hall. The only available light was from an old street light decorating the courtyard. C & C welcomed. Thank you.
IMG2675-XL.jpg

Comments

• Options
    lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2012
    I like it! Phil
    http://www.PhilsImaging.com
    "You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
    Phil
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2012
    Situations like this have a lot of potential, however in my opinion they often require skillful processing if you want them to look like more than a technical achievement in low-light. The decision to keep the image in color, in my opinion, deducts impact from the image by making it look kind of unclebob-ish. It is a feat to achieve correct skin tones in such a tough situation, but I think the most artistic outcome would be a moody B&W, or an overly warm color version. That, plus some careful burning and dodging, would make the image a huge winner.

Overall of course, if you were the paid pro then I would have liked to see one or two off-camera lights to help add some rim / kick to help separate them from the inky-black background, their hair especially is just sucked right into the background. However as an image made by a guest, I would of course think it inappropriate to go and set up that much lighting; you're better off just enjoying the day and snapping the moments as naturally as you see them. Which you did perfectly in this situation... :-)

Next time, maybe, I wonder what the results would have looked like if you had gone for more of a silhouette look, by moving around the subjects clockwise and composing a wider shot that included more space above them. That might have been another winning scenario, but I would have of course gone for this composition / lighting first, since it is the more guaranteed winner.

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    edited July 30, 2012
    Thank you Matt. I always look forward to seeing your comments and suggestions to help out newbies like me. I understand what you are saying about extra lighting positioned properly and also trying the different angles. Definitely something to remember if the occasion presents itself again.

Greg
  • Options
    edited July 30, 2012
    I like it! Phil

Thank you Phil.
  • Options
    joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2012
    nice. This is a small thing, but I'd get rid of the lights in the background.
  • Options
    edited July 30, 2012
    joshhuntnm wrote: »
    nice. This is a small thing, but I'd get rid of the lights in the background.

Thank you Josh. Will do.
  • Options
    MMcClainPhotoMMcClainPhoto Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
    edited August 15, 2012
    Did you by chance shoot with the light source behind the couple? Might have given a neat silhouette perspective?
    Great Photography Is All About the Light!
  • Options
    edited October 12, 2012
    Did you by chance shoot with the light source behind the couple? Might have given a neat silhouette perspective?

Light source (single light post) was off to the side.