Late For Synagogue

bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
edited May 1, 2014 in Street and Documentary

Comments

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator
    edited April 19, 2014
    Cool perspective and sense of energy. I just wish I could see a little more of the guy on the left's head, especially assuming he's wearing a yarmulke. I can't figure out what the white patch is. My first thought was a puddle reflecting the sky, but I'm not sure that the edges and angle make sense. Or maybe it's the guys and grass that are reflections. Once again, you've got me stumped--well done thumb.gif.

Edit: Ah, wait--I think it must be a ledge (in bright sunlight) that you were leaning over when taking the shot.
  • EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited April 21, 2014
    Agree with Richard, and think that the POV and dynamics of the image overcome any compositional difficulties.
    Cool thumb.gif
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited April 23, 2014
    Richard wrote: »
    Cool perspective and sense of energy. I just wish I could see a little more of the guy on the left's head, especially assuming he's wearing a yarmulke. I can't figure out what the white patch is. My first thought was a puddle reflecting the sky, but I'm not sure that the edges and angle make sense. Or maybe it's the guys and grass that are reflections. Once again, you've got me stumped--well done thumb.gif.

Edit: Ah, wait--I think it must be a ledge (in bright sunlight) that you were leaning over when taking the shot.
    Earache wrote: »
    Agree with Richard, and think that the POV and dynamics of the image overcome any compositional difficulties.
    Cool thumb.gif

thanks guys
    Richard can't fool you for to long and Earache what difficulties ! ? :D
    edited April 23, 2014
    bfjr wrote: »
    thanks guys
    ....and Earache what difficulties ! ? :D

I'm referring to the items Richard commented, which, with his mention, caused me to notice and consider their impact to the image... not really difficulties per se,
    just impressions/wishes for compositional elements - which, as we know, are not always attainable (or always necessary) in candid photography.

On another note... The movie reviewer in the local pulp rag Reader down here gave a 5 star review to a documentary movie about an
    "uncharted street photgrapher" from Chicago named Vivian Maier. He said it was an interesting (mystery) story about a talented
    photographer that got little notice because she wouldn't print and show her work. The title of the film is Finding Vivian Maier and is
    showing an hour away from me... Just wondering if anyone has heard of, or seen this flick and might have an opinion about it?
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator
    edited April 24, 2014
    ...Just wondering if anyone has heard of, or seen this flick and might have an opinion about it?
    I haven't seen the flick but I would go out of my way to do so. Vivian Maier was probably the best street photographer nobody ever heard of until just a few years ago. I saw a small exhibition of her work last time I was in Chicago and it was outstanding. We discussed her story here a few years ago: http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=157930
    edited April 24, 2014
    ^^^ Thanks very much for the info!!
    I'll make the drive!
    Eric ~ Smugmug
    edited April 24, 2014
    I'm referring to the items Richard commented, which, with his mention, caused me to notice and consider their impact to the image... not really difficulties per se,
    just impressions/wishes for compositional elements - which, as we know, are not always attainable (or always necessary) in candid photography.

On another note... The movie reviewer in the local pulp rag Reader down here gave a 5 star review to a documentary movie about an
    "uncharted street photgrapher" from Chicago named Vivian Maier. He said it was an interesting (mystery) story about a talented
    photographer that got little notice because she wouldn't print and show her work. The title of the film is Finding Vivian Maier and is
    showing an hour away from me... Just wondering if anyone has heard of, or seen this flick and might have an opinion about it?

Yes I understand what you were commenting on.

Yes know of her work and enjoy/sometimes saddened by her story.
    However I get solace in the fact that being unknown but enjoying the act/art of Photography can
    be et al for the Soul.
  • lensmolelensmole Registered Users Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited April 24, 2014
    I think this is your most successful image shot from this POV.
    edited April 25, 2014
    bfjr wrote: »
    ....I get solace in the fact that being unknown but enjoying the act/art of Photography can
    be et al for the Soul.
    A wise and true philosophy... thumb.gif
    Eric ~ Smugmug
    edited May 1, 2014
    lensmole wrote: »
    I think this is your most successful image shot from this POV.

Cool, BIG THANKS :D