Mini Challenge #202 - People using cameras.

puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
edited March 9, 2015 in The Dgrin Challenges
Hi,theme for #202 is – People using cameras.

Hardly an original theme, but let's see if anyone can push the envelope a little?

More or less anything will qualify, with the 2 following exceptions

1. Subject of image to be using a 'camera' ... can be any type - pns / bridge / slr etc... but not a phone or tablet.
2. No selfies ... unless it's an 'accidental' one ... ie a pic taken thro' a bus / train / shop etc window of the main subject using a cam, and the 'tog also captures a ghosted selfie reflection in frame.

Particular note will be taken of something 'different' ... whatever that means :)
If anyone's got a sequence of frames of this subject matter where the majority of the frame is the same, except for some small (but significant) area that changes ... they'd be most welcome.

(Somewhere I have a couple of frames where the only change is the 'tog's finger on the shutter release ... so an animated gif would show finger operating shutter - if can find I'll post)

Anything that invokes laughter will, of course, be appreciated by all, I suspect :)

Paul

This challenge will run for a tad over 2 weeks - from today until Monday March 9th @ 1200 GMT.
(Gives ppl 2 complete w/ends as well as this'un)

################################################## ##########################
OUR UN-OFFICIAL GENERAL RULES
1. Have fun sharing and seeing what others share!
2. The host supplies a topic and YOU POST 1-3 IMAGES. The host judges the winners (1st, 2nd and 3rd) and is not eligible to enter. The 1st place winner becomes the next host, chooses the next topic and becomes the next judge.
3. Any photo you’ve taken is eligible, regardless of when taken or camera used.
4. Any amount of post-processing is allowed. However, it is helpful if you list your camera and lens along with your photo.
5. You may comment on other contestant's images. If you want someone to leave you some critique or criticism, just ask within your post.
6. The winner has up to three days (72 hours) to begin a new mini-challenge, or the honor goes to the #2 finisher and so forth.

Guidelines:
1. Enter 1-3 photos and put them in a single post.
2. Either embed your image in the thread or, if you must, supply a link to it. Keep in mind, however, most people don't want to click to open photos hosted elsewhere (i.e. on your website).
3. Also try and resize your photos prior to posting so they're sized appropriately for viewing without having to scroll (~800 pixels on the longest side works best.)
4. Give each image you enter a title.
5. Enjoy discussion with members about their images, don't let this just be an entry thread!
6. When quoting a post, change the IMG urls to a 200x200 size picture so it is clear your post is feedback and not another entry. (See here for help).
7. Don't be hesitant; share 'em and enter!

Mini-Challenge pointers:
1. Upon winning a mini-challenge round, your first step is coming up with a new theme and starting a new thread using the same format as others have used.
2. Make sure to notify the admin of this thread to update the main thread links with your entry thread.
3. Feel free to watch the thread as it grows or wait to the end time and look at all the entries all at once.
4. After the time/date has passed, then officially close the thread with a single post notifying everyone of the fact.
5. After you're finished judging, start a new thread (again using the prior formats) and post your Winner and runners-up. It is important to have runners up in case the winner does not show within the 72-hour window.
6. PM the winner with this info above and let them know they have 72 hours to set up the next mini-challenge.
7. If the winner does not show/start the next mini-challenge after 72 hours, notify the next runner-up and post a message on the Winner thread of the fact.
8. Remember, if you're the Winner, you run the next mini challenge!

Comments

• grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,942 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2015
    JnSewp0PY3l48jaJnaiiBg_8VzuBRVEK1ljCTetwgd4a=w1043-h526-no

This is my father taking movies at my sister's wedding (1961) - she is cutting the cake and he is still in his Father-of-the-Bride outfit. Slide film digitized. He is using a Bolex 16 mm movie camera. I have a whole album of him with his cameras https://picasaweb.google.com/106980008852702705641/FHJFCameras?authuser=0&feat=directlink but the one of him at my sisters wedding is my favorite although it isn't the best one because the slide has deteriorated. (and also it was a bit underexposed) I didn't take all of them. Some are selfies but the rest my mother took. Speaking of my mother - this is she in 1966

3277-00690009-106.jpg

For touring she is wearing Hush Puppy shoes, stockings, a nice two piece suit (which I made for her) and a head scarf. (this is another photo of her, at about the same place and same time, but while you can see what she is wearing better, you can't see the camera so it isn't an entry - just for interest) 3271-00690009-102.jpg

Here's a more recent one (2014) - my granddaughter and my great-grandson (age 2) (Starting them early)

IMG_4593.JPG
    “"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”
  • CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,030 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2015
    GrandmaR - I love the picture of your Dad with his Bolex. He looks so happy as does everyone around him. And I might add, what a handsome feller!
    edited February 21, 2015
    Thank you - and that camera was one of his favorites. He insisted on taking it along on trips, which mean my mother had a lot of stuff to carry because he also carried a Poloroid and a tripod and a 35 mm camera (or two) plus film of course. Also since everyone in the family had a camera, we were always taking photos of each other taking photos. :)

00800020.JPG
  • ThelensspotThelensspot Registered Users Posts: 2,041 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2015
    grandmaR, I love your pictures.
    "Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

• travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2015
    nod.gif
    Cavalier wrote: »
    GrandmaR - I love the picture of your Dad with his Bolex. He looks so happy as does everyone around him. And I might add, what a handsome feller!
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2015
    #1 Self-Portrait of an inept photographer

i-FqdSDNQ-XL.jpg

#2 What my first grandson thought I looked like

i-xDKtv4t-L.jpg

#3 My daughter shooting a portrait

i-wJWLdSb-L.jpg

#4 The portrait my daughter shot (not an entry)

i-MT2hJh8-L.jpg
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,942 moderator
    edited February 22, 2015
    Fun challenge! I wanted to share a few photos on this theme but please don't consider them entries for judging (due to my schedule over the next few weeks).

1. A Family Seen on Oahu, Hawaii
    i-chVn7w6-L.jpg

2. Documenting Life in Rural Kenya (students washing up before lunch)
    i-BS452LN-L.jpg

3. Night Photography on Pawley's Island, South Carolina
    i-dqPfMCb-L.jpg

This last photograph is one of series of images of my son turning his attention to photographing Myrtle Beach after we finished trying to photograph the moonlit water.
    edited February 23, 2015
    sapphire73 wrote: »
    Fun challenge! I am going to share a few photos on this theme but they aren't entries in this mini due to other commitments in the next few weeks. Here is one. Will share more later.

1. Like Mother Like Sons (taken in 2011 for Dgrin DSS 76 - Mom or Wow)
    I know it breaks the no selfie rule but I love that these busy guys were willing to help me out with the challenge. I had a broken foot at the time.
    i-Ph4jcn2-L.jpg

I love this one!
    "Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

edited February 23, 2015
    Some great shots so far so I well join in...but not for judging.

#1. "Picture in a picture" From the Kentucky Derby 2011. When his hand went up my camera forgot about the horses!

DSC_0307-7-XL.jpg

#2. "Tough Angle" My father-in-law...supersonic wing design expert for NASA, WWII B-29 radar operator, and long time photographer. This is in Florence, Italy at the Cattedrale di Santa Maria del Fiore. Also known as Il Duomo di Firenze.

DSC_0145-7-XL.jpg

#3.
    "Better than dad!" My daughter taking a shot in Ccorao, Peru and most of the time she is better than dad!

DSCN5954-Edit-2-XL.jpg

• hammy8241hammy8241 Registered Users Posts: 144 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2015
    Soccer game.
    6094167350_45c5c778dc_o-XL.jpg

Local press laying her body on the line.
    dsc_0555-XL.jpg

Just like the car
    dsc_0031-XL.jpg
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Big grins Louisville, KYPosts: 1 Big grins
    edited February 23, 2015
    One of many who photographed the little tree...
    i-6LJxRdX-XL.jpg
  • GSPePGSPeP Registered Users Posts: 3,728 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2015
    All have been taken during one or other motorcycle vacation:

1. A friend taking a picture of the Scottish Highlands

Schotland%202006%20%28267%29-XL.jpg

2. A friend taking a picture of a friend in the snow

1D4_0813-XL.jpg

3. A friend taking pictures of the snow in the mountains.

1D4_1073-XL.jpg
  • sdways01sdways01 Registered Users Posts: 151 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2015
    Here are my 3 entries...

LaceyReece9570-L.jpg
    Wedding photographer

QBF9072-L.jpg
    Taking a picture of the inside of a hot air balloon during inflation

QBF9190-L.jpg
    Photographer in front of hot air balloon

Since I didn't take this one, I can't take credit for it and it isn't an entry. I only scanned the negative. It's just shown here as an interest piece. This is from some negatives my wife's grandfather had for photos he took during World War II.
    Scan016-L.jpg
    http://www.adamclarkmedia.com

"If you saw a man drowning and you could either save him or photograph the event...what kind of film would you use?" - Anonymous
  • DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2015
    Three selfie shots:

1) This one gets me twice!

_IGP0282-L.jpg

2) In my Wife's Sunglasses on Plum Island

IMGP0505Crop-L.jpg

3) Fun with mirrors.

IMGP3998-L.jpg

4) Bonus shot, not to be counted.

IMGP2387-L.jpg

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited February 26, 2015
    << 2. No selfies ... unless it's an 'accidental' one ... ie a pic taken thro' a bus / train / shop etc window of the main subject using a cam, and the 'tog also captures a ghosted selfie reflection in frame. >>

Must confess that I'm starting to wonder why I bothered writing this ... or do people think that the 'main subject' can be themselves and not something else?

pp
    edited February 26, 2015
    << 2. No selfies ... unless it's an 'accidental' one ... ie a pic taken thro' a bus / train / shop etc window of the main subject using a cam, and the 'tog also captures a ghosted selfie reflection in frame. >>

Must confess that I'm starting to wonder why I bothered writing this ... or do people think that the 'main subject' can be themselves and not something else?

pp
    Sorry, that's what I get for not re-reading the rules, having read them when first posted, before posting mine!

Actually I think the first one does qualify as unintentional. The rest certainly not so. I'll see what else I've got.

Don
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
    edited February 27, 2015
    DonRicklin wrote: »

Actually I think the first one does qualify as unintentional. The rest certainly not so. I'll see what else I've got.

Sorry, but I only see one guy (in big hat, presumably you?) using a camera?

A ghosted image / reflection of the pic taker is allowed - provided the pic taker is taking a pic of *another* person ... 'using a camera'.

pp
  • CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,030 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2015
    Here are the only three I could find.....

#1 - San Luis Wildlife Refuge - new species - photog-gawkers

i-h5KsLtB-X2.jpg

#2 - The view is behind you!

i-HBz8DqD-X2.jpg

#3 - Getting a foothold for that shot.

i-TV6NWC8-X2.jpg
    edited February 27, 2015
    Sorry, but I only see one guy (in big hat, presumably you?) using a camera?

A ghosted image / reflection of the pic taker is allowed - provided the pic taker is taking a pic of *another* person ... 'using a camera'.

pp

Okay, I'll try again.

Don

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk
  • TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2015

pp

I think you need to give some consideration to why people join in these
    Mini-Challenges.

Is it for the big bucks prize money? The ribbon or trophy? The fame of winning?
    The trip to Disney?

Or is it because we just like to have a little fun and share a photo we like?

The Rule Breakers (ie: my inept self-portrait that is obviously Photoshopped)
    don't mind being disqualified.

The more entries you receive, the better the Challenge.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
    edited February 27, 2015
    TonyCooper wrote: »
    I think you need to give some consideration to why people join in these
    Mini-Challenges.

Is it for the big bucks prize money? The ribbon or trophy? The fame of winning?
    The trip to Disney?

Or is it because we just like to have a little fun and share a photo we like?

The Rule Breakers (ie: my inept self-portrait that is obviously Photoshopped)
    don't mind being disqualified.

The more entries you receive, the better the Challenge.

Well, I thought the idea of a 'challenge' was to ... how shall I put this ... have an element of challenge involved.
    Since (in the past) I've seen many examples (all the way across the quality spectrum) that would satisfy this particular topic, I thought it was worthy of a re-visit for this MC.

Adding a couple of minor (imo) 'no-nos' ... no selfies - the net is awash with the darned things at the moment, and they're just too easy to obtain / do, without any great degree of input on the 'tog's behalf ...

and no phones / tablets 'cos this site ... or so I thought, but presumably mistaken? ... has, as part of its remit, a mission statement associated with helping people 'improve' their snapping, advice for which often starts with 'take it out of green square mode, mate'.

Yes, am aware that decent pics can be taken with just about any box in the right hands ... but I was hoping for some pics that ... well, I dunno ... come out of 'cameras', rather than a widget one yakks into...

Is it wrong to try and 'narrow down' the entries in such a manner, considering the discarded / invalid etc entries can easily be added to either of the other two 'file management' challenges that are also running on DG at the same time as this MC, when relevant circumstances allow?

No-one stops any member posting any image anywhere on DG (as far as I can see, provided no rules are broken) ... so there are plenty of pic posting options available.

I would probably have ignored the 'rule breakers' anyway ... unless there was something exceptional that deserved comment / praise ... but it looked like DR's pics had been added without reading the draconian rules, so I thought a comment in order ... which brings us to this point.

Speaking on a purely personal level, I'd much prefer being out with cam (even with 0500 starts, like today) attempting to take pics that have some appeal (to me) than responding to this sort of stuff ... so am more then happy to hand the reins over to you, TC :)

pp
    edited February 27, 2015
    Uncle!

These should qualify more readily.

1) Shooting a sculpture.

4X6A0303-L.jpg

2) Official Photog at work!

IMGP7230-L.jpg

3) A Kelby Walk Photo-op

IMGP6080-L.jpg

:D

Don
    edited February 27, 2015

Is it wrong to try and 'narrow down' the entries in such a manner, considering the discarded / invalid etc entries can easily be added to either of the other two 'file management' challenges that are also running on DG at the same time as this MC, when relevant circumstances allow?

pp

I have a great deal of trouble narrowing down the photos so anything you can do to make it easier for me to pick is great IMHO.

I have taken selfies because if I don't, I never had any photos of myself. I do have this one (not for judging) which could be considered accidental but I didn't enter it because not only am I headless, but you can't really see the camera either (except for the lens cap dangling down onto my shirt)

100_1746.JPG

I have not taken any significant photos with my phone until this past month. I sent my camera to Canon to be cleaned, and they just sat on in without doing anything for two weeks. And then they said that I sent an eye piece on the camera which I didn't because it fell off and I specifically said that I wanted that fixed, and they didn't fix it. In the meantime I've been taking such photos as I had to take with my cell phone.
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited February 27, 2015
    the general rules to the mini's is that the creator of the challenge gets to set the rules. So as Paul has defined what he is looking for, then everyone should try and stay in the spirit of the challenges. After all, someday it could be your turn!
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited February 27, 2015
    I will play along, but as always, please do not consider mine in the judging.

1. Iditarod Restart XXXVII- fans aim cameras
    JMMed4310-L.jpg

2. Iditarod Ceremonial Start XXXVI- Rude tv camera guy blocks my view
    0678-L.jpg

3. Barbados- Checking the shots already taken
    JMMed9581-L.jpg
  • GattoGatto Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2015
    "End of a Dream"... Space Shuttle Endevour Landing @ Ellington air field in Houston TX during the Coast to Coast farewell tour, from Kennedy Space Center to Los Angeles

IMG_2706-L.jpg

"Embedded" I was At the Airshow and one of the act was a reenactment of combat mission in Vietnam (the PP is to simulate the 35mm Film age from the 60'S)

IMG_7307-L.jpg

IMG_7168-L.jpg

"Team Mom" The lonely role of the team mom that spends time and sweat to Photograph every kid in the team!

IMG_8008-3-L.jpg
  • Ray DauphinaisRay Dauphinais Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
    edited March 1, 2015
    9388636986_4f60d5566e_b.jpg
    All my images are made with 100% recycled electrons.

Follow me on Twitter and Like me on Facebook
  • Ray DauphinaisRay Dauphinais Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
    edited March 1, 2015
    10405830113_cb55d311c5_b.jpg
    All my images are made with 100% recycled electrons.

Follow me on Twitter and Like me on Facebook
  • EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2015
    Seaside
    Seaside-XL.jpg

Airshow
    i-SLspSJp-XL.jpg

Multiple Exposure
    Multiple%20Exposure-XL.jpg
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,942 moderator
    edited March 3, 2015

pp

Just returned from a trip to Canada, removed the photo that included myself and added 3 images of various photographers.

Thank you for giving us a fun challenge, Paul!