Two inquiries for one day.. How to choose

MMcClainPhotoMMcClainPhoto Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
edited August 17, 2012 in Weddings
So we get this a lot but I wanted to put it out there to see what the consensus is.. We right now have two inquiries that came in days apart from one another for the same wedding date in May. One person, I can only take one. How do you choose? Also say you take first come first serve, meet with both couples but you really like the second inquiry who came in better than the first?? Thoughts?
Great Photography Is All About the Light!

Comments

• tenoverthenosetenoverthenose Registered Users Posts: 815 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2012
    So we get this a lot but I wanted to put it out there to see what the consensus is.. We right now have two inquiries that came in days apart from one another for the same wedding date in May. One person, I can only take one. How do you choose? Also say you take first come first serve, meet with both couples but you really like the second inquiry who came in better than the first?? Thoughts?

If this is your job and you need to pay bills, you take the one that signs up and pays first. Make that clear to both of them and move forward with a smile :)

Also, don't meet with couples you don't like, it will save you time (and money).
  • wave01wave01 Registered Users Posts: 204 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2012
    i agree you take the first who signs
  • lilmommalilmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2012
    yeah i would say the first one with a deposit wins
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2012
    My advice is simple and straight forward. Let each couple know that you have another couple seriously looking at the same date.

Do explain you are not attempting to put any pressure on, but just want them to be informed.

Sam
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2012
    15524779-Ti.gif What Sam said. BUT . . . assuming you like what you hear over the 'phone, I'd meet with them first. Make certain you keep them coming 'till you know you'd like to work with either couple. May is a long time off. It's not like a couple weeks is going to be unfair to them, and you don't want to turn them off.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Chris GeigerChris Geiger Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited August 16, 2012
    Don't tell them that someone else is looking at the same date. Meet with them and let them know that dates are reserved on a first come first served basis. Dates can not be held until a contract and retainer are received.

If you tell them someone else is interested in the date, they more often than not will think it is a hard sell tactic.
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2012
    Don't tell them that someone else is looking at the same date. Meet with them and let them know that dates are reserved on a first come first served basis. Dates can not be held until a contract and retainer are received.

If you tell them someone else is interested in the date, they more often than not will think it is a hard sell tactic.

TOTALLY AGREE HERE... .... thumb.gifthumb
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• PedalGirlPedalGirl Registered Users Posts: 794 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2012
    Art Scott wrote: »
    TOTALLY AGREE HERE... .... thumb.gifthumb

I disagree... I don't think it's a hard sell, it's letting someone know that if they want you they need to put a deposit down because there is someone else also looking at the same date. If I were a bride and I wanted to book someone but lost out because there was a second couple wanting the same date and I didn't know it I'd be mighty disappointed.

I would give the couple who inquired first the right of first refusal. Just let them know that you want them to make sure that you are the right photographer for them so no pressure, but that there is another inquiry for the date.

BTW....I am not a wedding photog... yet, but I have done my homework and am in the middle of planning my daughter's wedding.
    Pho-tog-ra-pher (n) 1. One who practices photography 2. one obsessed with capturing life with their camera. 3. One who eats, sleeps and breathes photographs. 4. One who sees the world in 4x6.
    www.lisaspeakmanphotography.com
  • MMcClainPhotoMMcClainPhoto Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
    edited August 17, 2012

See I don't like that. Normally I tell the first client that someone else is interested in their date and when an if the second inquires I let them know it's available but another couple has spoken interest however we don't hold dates.

This one worked itself out where the first couple had set up other meetings and were respectful in understanding we don't hold dates and another was interested. I appreciate brides who shop around because I want them to get the best deal for the best photography they can afford. If they don't book, they just weren't our client type.
  • MMcClainPhotoMMcClainPhoto Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
    edited August 17, 2012
    PedalGirl wrote: »
    I disagree... I don't think it's a hard sell, it's letting someone know that if they want you they need to put a deposit down because there is someone else also looking at the same date. If I were a bride and I wanted to book someone but lost out because there was a second couple wanting the same date and I didn't know it I'd be mighty disappointed.

I would give the couple who inquired first the right of first refusal. Just let them know that you want them to make sure that you are the right photographer for them so no pressure, but that there is another inquiry for the date.

BTW....I am not a wedding photog... yet, but I have done my homework and am in the middle of planning my daughter's wedding.

Love! And I do agree. We believe there shouldn't be any surprises on your wedding day from your vendors.. Just good business practice:). Good luck with the homework:). Took us forever to choose a photographer... And a venue..
  • Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2012
    PedalGirl wrote: »

The other day at our studio, in the middle of one consultation a wedding planner called and asked if we were available on the date that the couple was consulting about. All it took was the studio manager popping his head in the door and asking "hey, are you free on this date?" ...The couple booked on the spot.

We joked about having someone poke their head in during EVERY consultation from now on, but of course we would never do that.

The bottom line is that honesty is the best policy. Tell your clients what's up, and let the quality of your character prove that it is NOT a "hard-sell tactic"...

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • PedalGirlPedalGirl Registered Users Posts: 794 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2012
    Good luck with the homework:). Took us forever to choose a photographer... And a venue..

Thanks. :) We're researching venues right now, so overwhelming! She put me in charge of finding a photographer... I pity the poor photographer who has to deal with me since I know to much for my own good. :)
    Pho-tog-ra-pher (n) 1. One who practices photography 2. one obsessed with capturing life with their camera. 3. One who eats, sleeps and breathes photographs. 4. One who sees the world in 4x6.
    www.lisaspeakmanphotography.com