Photography Tour Companies

dgenevedgeneve Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
I couldn't figure out which forum I should put this in. This one seemed to be the closest match.

Does anyone know of any reputable photo tour companies? I've been thinking about where I want to go for vacation next year and I want to take a tour, but I don't want to use one of the regular tour companies. They always get you to the destinations during the worst light of the day. I want to get to the sites at sunrise or sunset and I don't really want to have to figure out the best way to get there. I would like to find a tour company that caters to photographers.

I found one place online. Has anyone heard of it?
http://www.photographytrip.com/ by a photographer John Baker.

Comments

• dgenevedgeneve Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited August 4, 2008
    I found this one on Peter Greenburg's blog. Has anyone used them?

http://www.phototc.com
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2008
    I think your best bet is to decide which location you want to go to and then look for workshops or guides for that location. There are a lot of great photographers that offer guided trips and workshops.

Arizona Highways is another good place to look.
    http://www.friendsofazhighways.com/
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2008
    National Geographic offers photographic tours.
    edited August 5, 2008
    Thanks for the replies. I haven't really figured out where I want to go. I was hoping to find some companies first to see what they had to offer and if anything peeked my interest.

I did see the National Geographic tours on Peter's site. They are on my list.
    edited August 5, 2008
    Molsondog wrote:
    Not to cast doubt on the value of a photo tour company but I bet you could DIY just fine. Decide on the location, then research the scenic areas/subjects that you'd like to shoot. That way you can control the times of day you are on location. Additionally you can fill the bad light times with other interests that suit you, not the herd.

Unless you're looking for training at the same time as shooting you'll do better with your own agenda. Why pay them to take you to a spot you can find on your own?

Thanks. For anyplace in the US, I would agree with you, but I also live here. I know the language and customs, so I can arrange transportation to and from sites quite easily. If I link up with a photo tour for an overseas trip, I will get access to someone with local contacts. They will know how to get to the different sites, and they will ensure that I get there during the right time of day. I'm going to be traveling solo. With a photo tour, I can take the tour by myself and not really be alone. I'll be able to have lunch and dinner with other people on the tour.