Dwellers of Sindh

Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
edited March 24, 2016 in Journeys
Hello Friends,

I was fortunate to do a trip to Sindh, one of four provinces of Pakistan. Sindhi language is one of the sweetest in the world. Going to Sindh was my long time wish as it is culturally very unique compared to other parts of Pakistan or where i travel mostly. History of Sindh actually shaped whole South Asian region with roots in Indus Valley Civilization, Invasion of Alexander, Arab invasion, Hindu Mabahara, British Rule, Mughal period... and first assembly to pass resolution favoring creation of Pakistan. Unfortunately many parts of Sindh are plagued with political instability, law and order situations which are now in control in places i was visiting.

These are just highlights, i will be posting more photos soon in this thread

IMG_9812-X2.jpg

Our first stop was Mughal era Mosque, Shah Jahan Mosque in Thatta. In Thatta we also visited Makli grave yard, one of the largest Necaroplis
IMG_9854-X2.jpg

3 Makli is one of the largest necropolis in world with graves of so many religious saints
IMG_9944-X2.jpg

3: Interesting characters in tombs of saints
IMG_0009-X2.jpg

4: 85
IMG_9977-X2.jpg

Next day i had to stay in agriculture fields, while my companion was doing his work i was around in fields.

IMG_0089-X2.jpg

Then we went out to desert Tharparker, adjecent to India's Rajistan region

6 stopped at sugarcane harvesting on way to desert
IMG_0198-X2.jpg

7: Bazaar on our way, saw this interesting small oil factory with huge camel walking in circles, something i only heard from elders and never saw in person

IMG_0257-X2.jpg

8: Kohli women would just drop huge veil on face when they see stranger, stranger with camera is another issue. There are chances that you spy on them for a face shot but i don't prefer doing that.
IMG_0235-X2.jpg

9: Hindu women wear bangles and traditional dress with veil.
IMG_0242-X2.jpg

10: On road side we noticed traditional desert houses and we were greeted by village elders. I asked for a photo of woman and they welcomed us to one of house. Woman was very nervous about posing so i asked her to keep her veil as she wish.
IMG_0394-X2.jpg

11: I noticed this young girl and asked her grandma to pose for my shot, she generously agreed.
IMG_0284-X2.jpg

12: Camel in desert
IMG_0537-X2.jpg

13: Guys asked for photo
IMG_0370-X2.jpg

14:
IMG_0371-X2.jpg

15: Our last destination was visit to tomb of Shah Abdul Latif Bhittai, one of the most prominent sufi poet, said to have influence of Rumi. People visit graves for blessings
IMG_0727-X2.jpg

16: Newly wed couple coming to tomb for blessings
IMG_0765-X2.jpg

17: Man sings poetry of Shah Abdul Latif Bhittai, he was not only singing he was fully involved i couldn't convince him to spare sometime for a picture as he totally involved in it.

IMG_0613-X2.jpg

More to come...........
Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery

Comments

• 1andyw1andyw Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
    edited February 9, 2016
    Your series are always most welcome. The first viewing, greatly impresses as an introduction into a beautiful culture, both images and descriptions. Later views allow me the time to reflect on the quality of your craft.

Thank you so much.
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator
    edited February 9, 2016
    clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Terrific series, Awais. Fascinating and gorgeous. That last shot may be my all time favorite from you. bowdown.gif
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2016
    Thanks Andy and Richard, it was indeed my best trip ever very lively place and photogenic
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
    edited February 15, 2016
    Here are few more:

IMG_9875-X2.jpg

IMG_0023-X2.jpg

IMG_0263-X2.jpg

IMG_0307-X2.jpg

IMG_9831-X2.jpg

IMG_0346-X2.jpg

My Gallery
  • roaddog52roaddog52 Registered Users Posts: 1,323 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2016
    Wonderful images. It is always a pleasure to see the people, places and culture through your eyes. thumb.gifthumb

Phil
    I don't know where I'm going, but I'm going anyway.

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity!
    edited February 20, 2016
    Thanks Phil
    IMG_9901-X2.jpg

MG_0603-X2.jpg

IMG_0062-X2.jpg
    One of 27000 shops of bangles! largest bangle market in Pakistan wish i reached there in time and see the process of making.
    IMG_0177-X2.jpg

My Gallery
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2016
    These are incredible. The beautiful colors against the environment is stunning. You evoke lots of emotion; some quite heart breaking and some joyful. A very intense series!!!
    edited February 25, 2016
    Eia wrote: »
    These are incredible. The beautiful colors against the environment is stunning. You evoke lots of emotion; some quite heart breaking and some joyful. A very intense series!!!

Thanks Eia, Indeed it is very intense area! i plan to post more soon! hopefully last batch of photos

My Gallery
    edited February 26, 2016
    Nomad Migration
    IMG_0493-X2.jpg
    Planned our way back with golden hour in mind, had to reach our destination around sun down so no fancy desert night shots
    IMG_0496-X2.jpg
    Kaikda or Crab a local 4x4 for desert transportation
    IMG_0449-X2.jpg

IMG_0551-X2.jpg
    Happy people going home!
    IMG_0520-X2.jpg

last few photos next week!

My Gallery
  • bike21bike21 Registered Users Posts: 836 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2016
    Great images Awais, always love seeing this part of the world. Cheers!
  • bodibodi Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited February 29, 2016
    Thanks for the wonderful pictures and commentary. Great job.
    Wonderful pictures. Bob
    edited March 6, 2016
    Thanks guys! glad you liked these!

My Gallery
    edited March 24, 2016
    Few more from trip

IMG_9861-X2.jpg

IMG_0033-X2.jpg

IMG_0046-X2.jpg

IMG_0216-X2.jpg

My Gallery