Get a Sneak Peek at SmugMug's new design!

1333435363739»

Comments

• WinsomeWorksWinsomeWorks Registered Users Posts: 1,935 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2013
    Andy wrote: »
    Just TRY IT Anna Lisa. Yeesh :D TONS of nav options. Don't worry about stupid things like websites, SM has done that worrying for you.
    Ya know, I would really just love to! rolleyes1.gif But it sure looks like it would be smart to wait awhile... after reading all these posts, you can surely understand why the trust level is quite low. Yes, I have no doubt most stuff (except slideshows) LOOKs prettier on the outside. I've already tried a few other sites and they look nice (although less unique in certain ways) and there's some weird un-intuitive navigational stuff (such as gallery page numbers in unhandy, invisible spots like below the thumbs, etc. :cry ). I don't like the lack of space between photos; just smacks of other sites. But here's the main stuff that is frightening right now & keeping people like me who maybe simply care from playing as we'd like to:

-- People are hitting "migrate", not even unveiling, and they're going back to their legacy site (or on the migrated site) & finding stuff like:
    --missing photos
    -- missing links
    -- missing HTML
    -- inability to get back to their old site
    -- disappearing keywords
    -- some issue with more than 300 somethings (not sure what) & then everything gets reorganized..
    -- lost comments (this is a biggie for me-- As I said, I have a lot of actual info from people in my comments!)

-- It seems there's no way to see what your site looks like in Preview mode the way another person (logged out) would see it, so basically you can't really see what it looks like at all.... in the past, we could always see what it would look like logged out.

-- I have a need to create a few galleries in the next 2 weeks. But I still haven't been able to 100% confirm that I can make a new gallery in my old site, move it out of the "Smug Preview" category, and have the people who need to see it, see it. And whether it is then also viewable in the new preview. Or whether I instead need to make the gallery in the new Preview. (in which case it, I assume, would be un-viewable to anyone logged out, and maybe un-viewable in the old Legacy view) Or whether I need to make the new galleries in both. I'm sorry, but this is all completely confusing, so I'm not going to just hit buttons w/o understanding completely what's going on.

-- Not to mention-- I've spent solid months working on my site, and have years worth of customizations... sheesh... I may not feel like just trashing them all.

-- Now I've just read that there's no way to tell whether a gallery or photo is virtual or real in the new site. headscratch.gif I'd already been asking for this to be made obvioius in the old site when logged in & in all the tools that involve selecting or moving, etc, although at least there were ways to tell on a specific photo if you had captions showing. Let me tell you, if this is true it's going to create a humongous tangled-up mess for me, as it is already tangled on the old site!! The only way I can keep track of this currently is to add something (I add "[v]" for Virtual or "[c]" for Collected in my gallery titles. It's messy & everyone sees it, but I'd go insane otherwise when trying to figure out where to upload to, and if any gallery titles disappear, I'm sunk. You've gotta realize that that affects a bunch of other tools-- copying, selling prices, etc. etc.

-- Lastly, someone just had a whole mess where they delete a photo from a collected gallery and it gets rid of the original! I really can't have that kind of thing happening right at this time, when I plan to be away & need things to just work.

Now tell me again why I should "Just Do It"??? Through all this, I have not heard one mention whatsoever of SmugVault and how anything there is affected by any of this! I sorta care about that... just a little... tiny... bit! Yes, I love to play, but play ends up being absolutely no fun if you have a lot of legitimate concerns & aren't hearing answers to them. I understand that everyone is swamped with questions, so maybe the dust should settle a bit so that questions that are important to a lot of people have time to get answered. Nothing sounds very stable right now. I'll come out & play when I'm confident that I won't live to regret it. :twitch But I wish I could try it right now!
    Anna Lisa Yoder's Images - http://winsomeworks.com ... Handmade Photo Notecards: http://winsomeworks.etsy.com ... Framed/Matted work: http://anna-lisa-yoder.artistwebsites.com/galleries.html ... Scribbles: http://winsomeworks.blogspot.com
    DayBreak, my Folk Music Group (some free mp3s!) http://daybreakfolk.com
  • WinsomeWorksWinsomeWorks Registered Users Posts: 1,935 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2013
    Oja wrote: »
    Love the new designs and the customization options. I have a lot of custom scripts on my site that are unfortunately lost but I have to figure out. Full screen slideshow one the main page is one of those. I also have images that disappeared from random galleries after the upgrade (ticket is in already and folks are looking into it). There are a few more things that I dearly miss now the main one is the lack of indication whether images are originals or virtual copies. There is no longer a link to show virtual copies of images put in a gallery with collect or by smart gallery options in their original gallery. This is an unfortunate oversight. It is not just nice to be able to direct site users to more images from the same category, but also for my own organization purposes so that I know where the originals are. Also, you cannot see this in "organize" either.
    That's actually pretty horrible (especially the lack of links showing the original gallery... I've used this in a lot of different ways and it really helps lose the need for uploading actual copies to other galleries, etc.) Aaaaaaaaaarrgggghhhhhhhh!!! I hate it that so much functionality is lost to trade for looks. WHY??
    Anna Lisa Yoder's Images - http://winsomeworks.com ... Handmade Photo Notecards: http://winsomeworks.etsy.com ... Framed/Matted work: http://anna-lisa-yoder.artistwebsites.com/galleries.html ... Scribbles: http://winsomeworks.blogspot.com
    DayBreak, my Folk Music Group (some free mp3s!) http://daybreakfolk.com
  • schatautschataut Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited July 31, 2013
    Virtual Copies
    Hi,

How do you create virtual copies of a photo to display in a different gallery without movies the photo or having multiple copies? I think "smart rule" was a way to do that however I am not able to figure out how to make an album smart album.

Thanks,

Surya
  • OjaOja Registered Users Posts: 76 Big grins
    edited July 31, 2013
    That's actually pretty horrible (especially the lack of links showing the original gallery... I've used this in a lot of different ways and it really helps lose the need for uploading actual copies to other galleries, etc.) Aaaaaaaaaarrgggghhhhhhhh!!! I hate it that so much functionality is lost to trade for looks. WHY??

I found you can see the original gallery links when you select one of the old gallery styles such as the smugmug one. You'll get a link that says from <gallery name>. Quite annoying as none of the new styles show this and when you change this, it changes for everybody and you still get no clue in "organize". Quite a mess.
  • AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,007 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2013
    -- I have a need to create a few galleries in the next 2 weeks. But I still haven't been able to 100% confirm that I can make a new gallery in my old site, move it out of the "Smug Preview" category, and have the people who need to see it, see it. And whether it is then also viewable in the new preview. Or whether I instead need to make the gallery in the new Preview. (in which case it, I assume, would be un-viewable to anyone logged out, and maybe un-viewable in the old Legacy view) Or whether I need to make the new galleries in both. I'm sorry, but this is all completely confusing, so I'm not going to just hit buttons w/o understanding completely what's going on. ...
    I would do all content changes, add new galleries, sorting, editing gallery descriptions, etc. on the old
    site. Only do cosmetic changes on the new.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • schatautschataut Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited July 31, 2013
    Never mind - found it (Been a long day :) )
    schataut wrote: »
    Hi,

How do you create virtual copies of a photo to display in a different gallery without movies the photo or having multiple copies? I think "smart rule" was a way to do that however I am not able to figure out how to make an album smart album.

Thanks,

Surya
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2013
    TalkieT wrote: »
    I know it won't change, but please don't just direct me to the helpdesk, you owe the people that have been customers for years (I've been here since 2005) some level of honesty.

If the answer is "Due to changes in the back end system, and to reduce support issues we are going to make all javascript customisations impossible, thereby utterly breaking site functionality for a small number of long time customers - and give them no built in functionality to do the same things" then just say it.

I expect it, I am already pretty sure that's true - but I want to hear you say it so I can stop hoping.

Cheers - N

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=1883011#post1883011
  • mbellotmbellot Registered Users Posts: 465 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2013
    mbonocore wrote: »
    Many months. Feel free to use Legacy and feel comfortable knowing you will not be forced to migrate without PLENTY of warning.

Michael

Right now it better be at least until 7/30/2014 or I think you're going to have a lot of people demanding refunds because they no longer have what they paid for at renewal.

I don't care how good it looks, or how easy it is to customize, you have removed features that people paid to use.
  • steveLsteveL Registered Users Posts: 85 Big grins
    edited July 31, 2013
    Love it!
    I published and "unveiled" my site yesterday using the Zoe template and I am very pleased that it worked out so well. After the Ustream announcement, I tried out all sorts of templates and customizations on my IPad before going to the laptop and getting serious. I like the ease in which you can try out new templates and customizations without publishing.

I was concerned though that someone who might view my site might not understand the navigation and stuff because the site is kind of minimalist -- which I had a great desire for. But my dear wife later asked how the Usteam announcement went and I told her that it was about a "new look" and that I had already changed the way the photo site looks. She said that she had noticed and liked it. She said that it took about a minute to figure it out and find her way around, and that was cool because she has zero patience with computers and websites -- expecting everything to just work and be obvious.

I appreciate the great effort and how SmugMug puts the photographer first. Thank you!
  • ParisParis Registered Users Posts: 126 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2013
    Migration finally came in after 12 hours of waiting.

A bit frustrating but I think this happens on all new launches where the response overwhelms the system and SM isn't the first this has happened to.

In fairness and respect for all the hard work that has gone into this new release I will reserve judgement until I get a chance to play with the new templates.

Fingers crossed... I'm excited and hoping for good things.
  • trailscapetrailscape Registered Users Posts: 9 Big grins
    edited August 1, 2013
    I hated it at first, but I'm slowly coming around to like the changes. There seem to be some kinks to iron out, but that's expected.

One thing that's bugging me.. I created several "pages" and some use photos from both listed/unlisted galleries. On these pages, the unlisted photos will not display.

I'd like to keep some galleries unlisted, but be able to link them visibly into pages.. This works fine if it's one or the other, but not mixed.
  • dereksurfsdereksurfs Registered Users Posts: 286 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2013
    The Site is Awesome!!!!
    I'm really loving this completely new product guys. It looks awesome!!! wings.gif

Thanks for the many, many hours of hard work and listening to us, your customers. thumb.gifclap.gif I must say you really went all out going completely back to the drawing board with this one. What started out as a facelift turned into something really new and exciting - a completely new product. I'm so glad I stuck around now and waited... But man, I wish I could have seen some of this along the way. It was tough waiting. I guess with the all the lawsuit vultures that just wasn't to be.

I know some of the legacy customers may have things they miss. But overall this was truly a homerun in terms of usability, modern design, and overall cool factor. I really wasn't expecting it to be this good as there was simply so much work to do to fully modernize things. It was a huge undertaking I know as software engineer myself. I was so stoked that I fully migrated and unveiled last night. It was so darn easy to get a really nice looking site up in minutes vs. the many, many hours it took before that there is simply no comparison - none! They are completely different beasts. Of course I've come back today and tweaked some things. But no need for custom code yet anyway.

I did find one minor problem which I'll post in another thread as I think its a bug. But with so many radical changes I would expect some minor tweaking needs to occur. But its like you have a whole new, stronger foundation to built upon now from which to catapult SM into the next era of epic photo hosts.

Excellent job and thanks again :D,
  • jasonscottphotojasonscottphoto Registered Users Posts: 711 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2013
    trailscape wrote: »
    One thing that's bugging me.. I created several "pages" and some use photos from both listed/unlisted galleries. On these pages, the unlisted photos will not display.

I'd like to keep some galleries unlisted, but be able to link them visibly into pages.. This works fine if it's one or the other, but not mixed.

Ugh, thanks for saying this because I didn't realize I am having the same problem :( Using photos from unlisted galleries and they don't show up except when I am logged in :( I have external links on...

Does this mean the external links won't work other places too? Or is it a limitation of the photo block?
    Posts by Allyson, the wife/assistant...

Jason Scott Photography | Blog | FB | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Instagram | YouTube
  • LPCLPC Registered Users Posts: 481 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2013
    Hasn't this always been the case? Either photographs are made available to the public or they aren't and putting a copy of a photo from an unlisted gallery into a public gallery wouldn't make a difference - it will still be invisible unless you are logged in. This is as it should be.

The only way to solve that is to upload a new copy with a different file name to the public gallery.
    edited August 1, 2013
    LPC wrote: »
    Hasn't this always been the case? Either photographs are made available to the public or they aren't and putting a copy of a photo from an unlisted gallery into a public gallery wouldn't make a difference - it will still be invisible unless you are logged in. This is as it should be.

The only way to solve that is to upload a new copy with a different file name to the public gallery.

No, unlisted means the GALLERY can't be found. You could still link to the photos. I do it all the time.

Jason Scott Photography | Blog | FB | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Instagram | YouTube
  • LPCLPC Registered Users Posts: 481 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2013
    Ah, OK. I can still have external links to unlisted photographs but didn't think I could ever take a copy from within Smugmug and have it available in a public Gallery. Maybe I'm confusing it with Password Protected Galleries, my apologies.
    edited August 1, 2013
    LPC wrote: »
    Ah, OK. I can still have external links to unlisted photographs but didn't think I could ever take a copy from within Smugmug and have it available in a public Gallery. Maybe I'm confusing it with Password Protected Galleries, my apologies.

I'm not trying to make it appear in another gallery, I am trying to make it work in a photo block on a Page.

• nickjknickjk Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited August 1, 2013
    Is anyone else experiencing a problem where unlisted galleries (existing ones, or brand new ones created just today) are not showing any images at all (since migrating to the new functionality)?

All of my unlisted galleries (3 of them, in total, and a fourth I created for testing) have the same problem - if I'm not logged in, the gallery is accessible (once password is entered) but all images appear as un-renderable (red crosses in IE, non-displayable image icon in Chrome).

This occurs on my laptop (testing with IE9) and also other systems (testing with Firefox and IE).

All of my other galleries are working just fine - but every unlisted gallery I have has the same problem.

I really need these to work quickly, if anyone has the same problem, please post here - @Smugmug - please can you investigate this (maybe it's just my account - but I can't see any settings that control this!)

Thanks...

Nick
    edited August 1, 2013
    nickjk wrote: »
    Is anyone else experiencing a problem where unlisted galleries (existing ones, or brand new ones created just today) are not showing any images at all (since migrating to the new functionality)?

All of my unlisted galleries (3 of them, in total, and a fourth I created for testing) have the same problem - if I'm not logged in, the gallery is accessible (once password is entered) but all images appear as un-renderable (red crosses in IE, non-displayable image icon in Chrome).

This occurs on my laptop (testing with IE9) and also other systems (testing with Firefox and IE).

All of my other galleries are working just fine - but every unlisted gallery I have has the same problem.

I really need these to work quickly, if anyone has the same problem, please post here - @Smugmug - please can you investigate this (maybe it's just my account - but I can't see any settings that control this!)

Thanks...

Nick

Nick, I created a bug report of this already. I also found a work around in part. You can see it here:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=1885180#post1885180
    edited August 1, 2013
    I'm not trying to make it appear in another gallery, I am trying to make it work in a photo block on a Page.

Also, photos from unlisted galleries that I have linked to using direct links on our blog, etc still work. It is only if you try to use them in a smugmug photo widget thingy (single, multiple) that they won't show up.

edited August 2, 2013
    Thanks for the info guys - the problem I have is simply that the entire gallery won't display any photos - hopefully this will get sorted very quickly!
    edited August 2, 2013
    Thanks for the info guys - the problem I have is simply that the entire gallery won't display any photos - hopefully this will get sorted very quickly!

Did you read the work around in the bug report? Look again as there is a way to do this now.
    edited August 5, 2013
    Hi Derek,

I'm not using menu links to provide access to unlisted galleries - I'm using the direct URL pointing to a standard gallery page (not a custom page), which doesn't work for me (when logged out) or anyone else that has tried - so I think your work-around doesn't apply in this situation?
    Or am I misunderstanding what is meant by menu items in this context?

Just tried it again, and it's the same - really need this to be fixed quickly! :-(

Cheers,
    edited August 5, 2013
    Hi Derek,

I'm not using menu links to provide access to unlisted galleries - I'm using the direct URL pointing to a standard gallery page (not a custom page), which doesn't work for me (when logged out) or anyone else that has tried - so I think your work-around doesn't apply in this situation?
    Or am I misunderstanding what is meant by menu items in this context?

Just tried it again, and it's the same - really need this to be fixed quickly! :-(

Cheers,

Nick,

The way you get to it doesn't really matter. Its all the same if you use a URL whether you link to it from a menu, send out an email with the URL, etc...

Can you share with us one example of this? If you don't want to give out an actual unlisted gallery just create a test one and add one item to it.

I have several and they all work fine when using the correct URL. Here is one example:

http://landandseaphoto.smugmug.com/Navigation/About-the-photographer/n-Kq8pJ

Could it be something else like the URL has changed in the new SM or the gallery is actually set to 'Private?'
    Can you see the gallery when you look at it in the 'Organize Site' view? Trying turning off 'UNLISTED' and see what happens.
    ** Start with a new gallery that works and then add in your lock downs until it no longer works to pinpoint where the failure occurs.
    edited August 6, 2013
    Hi Derek,

Thanks, I see what you mean now.

I had previously created a test gallery, and was experiencing the same problem as with my other galleries, but I've tried this again (tested by being logged in using one browser (Chrome) and viewed in another (IE9)):

Create a new Open Gallery - this works fine, of course.
    Make this gallery unlisted - can't access without encrypted characters (expected).
    (access with additional characters, and it works fine).
    Add a password - enter this correctly to authenticate, and it works fine -> this is what didn't work on my other galleries.
    Make it Private - cannot be accessed without being logged in (as expected) - and not what I need, anyway.

Then, I added some more files to the gallery, and it fails to display these new ones (unless logged in) - this is the problem I experience in the other galleries.

Removed the password on this test gallery, and they displayed correctly (so I was able to initially conclude that it's not the unlisted part, it's the password that causes the problem).
    But then, in an effort to prove this conclusion, I removed the password, and put it back again, and the test gallery still functioned properly!

Now I can't recreate the situation reliably...

My test gallery - here
    Password is test

Once I realised that removing the password had a positive effect, I tried doing the same thing on my existing galleries, but it doesn't solve the problem.
    Removing the password didn't make any difference to the behaviour of the gallery (photos still not rendering).

Then I discovered that the folder also had a password/security set - I removed this, and it made a big difference, allowing the majority of photos (but not all) to be viewed.
    With enough reloads of the page, it seems to sort of resolve itself - but I don't know why this is.

I suspect my previous test gallery was made under this same folder that had the security defined on it, whereas the new one was outside of this folder, which is why it worked.

So - I still have some quirky behaviour (and other people still can't get it to display at all) - but the closest I can get to a conclusion is:

- Unlisted galleries appear to be working fine, but password protected ones seem to be problematic.
    - Security on the folder seemed to adversely affect the galleries within it (even though the password is the same).
    - Removing the password and accessing the unlisted gallery (and scrolling through the entire gallery to download all thumbnail images) appears to be part of the solution - perhaps why it works after re-enabling the password in my tests?

Hopefully this helps others to recreate the situation?
    edited August 6, 2013
    Nick,

These are great tests in norrowing down the problem. Your new password protected sample gallery (Use Case in software development speak) works fine for me BTW. Obvisously SM is still working out the kinks in these areas as well.

To fix a problem in the majority of cases it has to be something which can be reproduced by others - the SM development team. I think that will be the challenge here since it seems to work part/most of the time now based on your description. That's not to say that there are not 'some bugs' which are more intermittent. However they are much harder to attempt to prove, define, track down and then fix.

One more factor to consider with your testing is browser caching which can really skew your results big time. For example you may actually fix the problem yourself by changing particular security/visibilty settings. But because your page is now cached you are still seeing the 'old page' with its associated problems. To complicate this further caching works a little differently in different browsers. So best bet is to clear the browser cache and close all browser instances. Then retest.
  • AjdrakieAjdrakie Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited August 30, 2013
    Join buttons?
    jfriend wrote: »
    You have to go here: http://www.smugmug.com/goodies/, enable the new style by pressing the Join button (on both regular and custom domains), then view your own galleries in the Smugmug style while logged in. You should see a new gallery display style. I see no difference on homepage or category pages - only on gallery pages.

No, I don't get it either. I'm looking for a simple way to see what all the fuss over the New SmugMug is about, but can't figure out how to see any changes.
    When I click on the link suggested (goodies) I get nothing with an links. Actually, it's called the darkroom.

I'm confused.
  • beardedgitbeardedgit Registered Users Posts: 854 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2013
    Ajdrakie wrote: »
    No, I don't get it either. I'm looking for a simple way to see what all the fuss over the New SmugMug is about, but can't figure out how to see any changes.
    When I click on the link suggested (goodies) I get nothing with an links. Actually, it's called the darkroom.

I'm confused.
    You're getting outdated info from a post that's over 2 years old.
    Yippee ki-yay, footer-muckers!
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator
    edited August 30, 2013
    Ajdrakie wrote: »

I'm confused.
    To see the new smug you will need to migrate. See this blog post - http://news.smugmug.com/2013/07/30/the-new-smugmug-is-here/.

To start the migration process, go to http://www.smugmug.com/migration.

--- Denise
  • AjdrakieAjdrakie Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited August 31, 2013
    Thanks Denise.
    To see the new smug you will need to migrate. See this blog post - http://news.smugmug.com/2013/07/30/the-new-smugmug-is-here/.

To start the migration process, go to http://www.smugmug.com/migration.

--- Denise

I tried to figure out what to do by following many different threads, but obviously not the right ones. So many options.
    Now I have a link I will proceed.
    Thank you,