Soft Focus on Olympics HDTV

NikonzoomNikonzoom Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
edited February 18, 2010 in Video
Hi;
I'm watching the Olympics on HDTV from Verizon FIOS using a STB connected to my Samsung 2494HM monitor using the HDMI cable.

I have consistently noticed that the focus on many of the shots is soft; especially for the athlete's faces.
This changes though when they show some of the close-ups. Sometimes they get a shot that is so sharp I can see every zit on the kid's faces.
I have seen shots where it appears that the camera is set to a very low F stop; the depth of field is extremely short. One person in the shot is in extremely sharp focus, while the ones around him or her are soft.

I have noticed this soft focus the most on the moving shots. I guess that is a problem with auto focus.

Has anyone been watching the Olympics and seen this effect?

FW

Comments

• DeeCajunDeeCajun Registered Users Posts: 515 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2010
    Funny you ask!

I was watching one of the events and the zoom was on the athlete jumping the Nordic Ski Jump.. I could practically see nose hair ! After a moment I realized just how far the videographer was to get that close up...

amazing!
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2010
    HD is compressed, and the compression has to work a lot harder on shots with a lot of movement in them.

I don't have cable or satellite, so I haven't seen it in HD. But the compression would definitely add to the softness.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • NikonzoomNikonzoom Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited February 17, 2010
    DavidTO wrote:
    HD is compressed, and the compression has to work a lot harder on shots with a lot of movement in them.

I don't have cable or satellite, so I haven't seen it in HD. But the compression would definitely add to the softness.
    OK. Thanks. That makes sense.

Thanks
  • NikonzoomNikonzoom Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited February 17, 2010
    DeeCajun wrote:
    Funny you ask!

I was watching one of the events and the zoom was on the athlete jumping the Nordic Ski Jump.. I could practically see nose hair ! After a moment I realized just how far the videographer was to get that close up...

amazing!
    HD is such a great technology; so much promise to bring the splendor of great photography to everyone in an instant. But there isn't enough good content on TV to use this technology.

Then, this is just an opinion :D

FW
  • glennpglennp Registered Users Posts: 171 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2010
    During the skiing events I have been amazed at how clear and sharp the trees are. Even the trees in the far distance are razor sharp. I can't even believe I'm watching tv. I'm watching on a 58" Samsung plasma
  • DeeCajunDeeCajun Registered Users Posts: 515 Major grins
    edited February 18, 2010
    Nikonzoom wrote:
    HD is such a great technology; so much promise to bring the splendor of great photography to everyone in an instant. But there isn't enough good content on TV to use this technology.

Then, this is just an opinion :D

FW

I must agree... I do love the Olympics but it's rare I find anything worth watching and prefer the quiet myself.

I do think its amazing how far technologically has come since even the last Olympics.

I had to laugh at Shaun White texting while at the top of the half tube...