Goin to Costa Rica and Thinking of Getting a DSLR

gypsygalgypsygal Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
edited May 8, 2009 in Cameras
Hi,

I am going to Costa Rica next month and have since been thinking of finally getting a DSLR. I've been wanting the XTI for a while but haven't really made up my mind yet.

I currently have a Canon Powershot S3 IS and it is a great camera for a point and shoot, however I have a feeling of having "outgrown" and am no longer satisfied.

My budget is not that big, so I am faced with the question "Is the Canon Rebel XTi w/kit lens or inexpensive lens that much different than my point and shoot to make it worth the purchase"? I don't mind buying the camera used, so am willing to consider this option. The lenses are pricey--I've checked.

So, if I were to buy the XTi, what lens would serve as a general purpose lens (good for beach photos, portraits, landscapes)? Don't know if there is such a lens. I want to make sure there will be a significant difference from the pictures I would get with my P&S.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Comments

• Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2009
    The XTi is a nice camera but the kit lens is so so in my book. The later kit lens with IS is much better from having used both of the kit lenses and having the XTi.

A better and more popular general purpose lens may be something like a Sigma 17-70 or a Tamron 17-50. So given the choice, I'd prefer an XTi and a Tamron 17-50 instead.

The new XS and XSi with the IS version of the kit lens may serve you better if you can swing it.

In terms of the image, you may initially notice that the digicam's images may seem more vibrant but it'll come at the cost of noise and digital artifacts and less resolution. You can select and customize the picture style for more saturation/sharpness/contrast, if you are not interested in post processing.
  • ToshidoToshido Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2009
    I was actually very happy with the powershot s3. Only reason I upgraded was for high ISO performance.

My suggestion is if you want to go into DSLR then go with a used 30D and buy a 50mm prime lens. That is what I wished I had done.

Use the Powershot s3 for walking around and most outdoors shots. It will have a far larger focal length range then you will get with a DSLR until you have thousands invested in glass, even then. My S3 still has a larger focal length range even with thousands invested :) So would be better for shots of people swimming or boating. Landscapes and sunsets where you want nice and wide views.

Then use the 30D (or whatever you choose) at night with a 50mm, 1.4 if you can swing it or 1.8 if you can't, for when the sun is down. Nightclubs if you are looking for nightlife, beach shows, etc... Generally for all indoor use that combination would be nice. Of course that combination will also provide very nice photos outside as well if you take it along.

30D over a rebel mainly for the interface. Top LCD big wheel on the back big bonuses to me. Stronger more robust body, I like. Larger body in general I again like.

Even with my current gear i know I would still bring along my powershot on a vacation just for compactness and versatility. Besides I also have an S1 with underwater kit :)
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,764 moderator
    edited April 18, 2009
    gypsygal wrote:
    Hi,

I am going to Costa Rica next month and have since been thinking of finally getting a DSLR. I've been wanting the XTI for a while but haven't really made up my mind yet.

I currently have a Canon Powershot S3 IS and it is a great camera for a point and shoot, however I have a feeling of having "outgrown" and am no longer satisfied.

My budget is not that big, so I am faced with the question "Is the Canon Rebel XTi w/kit lens or inexpensive lens that much different than my point and shoot to make it worth the purchase"? I don't mind buying the camera used, so am willing to consider this option. The lenses are pricey--I've checked.

So, if I were to buy the XTi, what lens would serve as a general purpose lens (good for beach photos, portraits, landscapes)? Don't know if there is such a lens. I want to make sure there will be a significant difference from the pictures I would get with my P&S.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Gypsygal, welcome to the Digital Grin. clap.gif

If this is a once-in-a-lifetime trip then you might want to rethink your strategy. Depending upon where you go and how much time you have and if photography is a priority, then Costa Rica has some splendid photographic opportunities.

http://www.island-guide.com/costa-rica/
    http://infinitycostarica.com/pages.aspx?PageID=18&SubSectionID=6
    http://travel.resourcesforattorneys.com/index.php?d=10&m=05&y=08&category=5

You might consider rental as an option to equipment that would be a definite visual improvement over the S3 IS.

I suggest either a Canon or Nikon camera body of "prosumer"quality, but a lens of "professional" quality. I also suggest a flash with a focus assist light, for very dark and indoor situations, and a light modifier or 2.

In Canon, only because I am most familiar with Canon, I would take a 40D or 50D body and the Canon EF-S 17-55mm, f/2.8 IS USM for a primary lens. I would also take a fast prime lens, like the Canon EF 50mm, f/1.4 USM for very low-light situations and for better control over DOF.

For a flash I would chose either the Speedlite 580EX II or Speedlite 430EX II (or their predecessors.) For the flash modifier I would either make and take a "better bounce card":

http://www.abetterbouncecard.com/

... or purchase a Joe Demb Flip-it Jr.:

http://www.dembflashproducts.com/flipit/

All of this would fit a very compact bag, even just a large "holster" bag might do, and would provide the potential for extremely nice results.

Unfortunately, the other part of very high quality photography is experience in using the equipment properly, and that can take years. In order to get the best use of the equipment I just described you need a crash course in photography to better understand how to use the equipment in a way that exploites the equipment's features. Simple automated modes are not necessarily going to be that much of a benefit over the automation of the S3 IS.

If you should decide that rental is a viable option, please explore our rental thread:

http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=79033
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • gypsygalgypsygal Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited April 18, 2009
    Thanks for the suggestions. I am still thinking it over. I will look into the cameras suggested and lenses and go from there.

Last time I went to Costa Rica. I ended up with blurred photos from using a so so camera. It was very dissappointing after visiting such beautiful places. My Powershot served me ok when I used it in Los Cabos, but nothing spectacular (see below).
    palmlapaz.jpg
  • Jeremy WinterbergJeremy Winterberg Registered Users Posts: 1,233 Major grins
    edited April 18, 2009
    I don't know what your budget is, but I say stay away from the Rebels if you're planning on becoming serious about photography. They're good starter cameras, but once you realise you're being limited by them you're gonna want to upgrade, and then you're gonna wish you got something better in the first place. (This happened to me, I would've saved around $1400 if I got the better camera in the first place)

I say get either a 20D, 30D, 40D, or 50D, get the nifty fifty (50mm f/1.8), and if you can afford it get a flash (I recomend the 580EXII, but one of the 430's would be more than enough). If you have money left over get the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8. I love my knock off of that lens (promaster is an off brand of an off brand lol). You could get that outfit for around $800-$1600 depending on which flash and body you chose, and if you got most of the stuff new.
    Jer
  • EphTwoEightEphTwoEight Registered Users Posts: 552 Major grins
    edited April 19, 2009
    Where you going this time? I love CR! Bring me back some Lizano sauce.
  • Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
    edited April 20, 2009
    most of all i think you should buy it soon because the more experience you get, the better you photos are going to be. My suggestion is to pick up a gently used second hand starter body from one of the brands (Xsi, D60, A200 or something) that you can sell with limited loss if your not happy with it and stick the money into some fine second hand lenses (3rd party) like the tamron 17-50 or 28-75 and maybe a zoom lens or wide angle (depends on your budget and needs). it wont break the bank, you can resale with limited loss if your not happy/want to upgrade and most of all, you can start practicing before your vacation! you dont want to find out how everything works in costa rica, its much to beautiful to be fooling around in the manual! thumb.gif
    Visit my website at christopherroos.smugmug.com
    edited May 3, 2009
    Thanks for the advice. I still haven't purchased the camera and am still hunting for some good deals...
    edited May 3, 2009
    Where you going this time? I love CR! Bring me back some Lizano sauce.

Sorry, for taking so long to reply. We are going to Tamarindo area (Brasilito near Playa Conchal, and then to Manuel Antonio area. We wish we could go see more but we only have 9 days there.
  • jthomasjthomas Registered Users Posts: 454 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2009
    Gypsygal-

My wife and I went to Costa Rica in December and had a great time. But we were on a more extensive tour than you are planning.

I carried a Nikon D60 ($375 used) with a Nikkor 18-105VR ($250 almost new) and Nikkor 70-300VR ($425 used a few years ago). This combo got me some fantastic pictures as you can see here.

Here's a sample:

443867980_J9Nif-O.jpg
    edited May 4, 2009
    Wow! So beautiful. I saw this particular bird on my last Costa Rica trip--a near relative of the toucan. Dont remember the name.

jthomas wrote:
    Gypsygal-

My wife and I went to Costa Rica in December and had a great time. But we were on a more extensive tour than you are planning.

I carried a Nikon D60 ($375 used) with a Nikkor 18-105VR ($250 almost new) and Nikkor 70-300VR ($425 used a few years ago). This combo got me some fantastic pictures as you can see here.

Here's a sample:

443867980_J9Nif-O.jpg
  • jthomasjthomas Registered Users Posts: 454 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2009
    gypsygal wrote:
    Wow! So beautiful. I saw this particular bird on my last Costa Rica trip--a near relative of the toucan. Dont remember the name.

It's an Emerald Toucanette.
  • dngrCharliedngrCharlie Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited May 8, 2009
    I have a Canon 40d and a Rebel XT. When I went to Costa Rica last July I took my S5 IS. The reason? The S5 has a great built in zoom and to get similar zoom on a DSLR you'd have to have a pretty big/expensive lens. In addition, it rained a lot on some days so it was nice to have a camera I wasn't too worried about.

When we went to Peru in March I actually took both the S5 and my 40D. I used a 24-105 lens on the 40D for medium telephoto/wide and we used the S5 (which my wife carried) for zooms. We actually didn't use the zoom that much in Peru but I would suggest you HAVE to have a LONG telephoto lens for Costa Rica. So many of the animals are way up in trees (which might be far away) that you need the reach.

The DSLR (depending on the lens) will allow you to shoot in more complicated lighting conditions plus the controls will be easier to manipulate (assuming you don't just shoot auto).

If you get the DSLR (which I recommend in general!), don't think of it as a replacement for the S5; think of it as a compliment to it. Also, practice, practice, practice before you go! Last thing you want is to miss shots cause you don't know how your camera works!

If you want to see my pics (which aren't that great), there are here:

http://www.rawsophistication.com/gallery/5588431_nXkRq#342807124_pgLy6

They are mostly just straight out of the camera. Just re-sized and, maybe, sharpened a little. Since I was shooting "up" so much, you end up with blown out, gray clouds in the background and you can really see the chromatic aberration on some of the pics.
  • dngrCharliedngrCharlie Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited May 8, 2009
    jthomas wrote:
    Gypsygal-

Your pictures are terrific! Much better than most of mine. I can see you guys had much better weather as well! Where the bird pictures all in the wild? Or were some of them in sanctuaries? We never saw a Quetzal... :cry And all the Toucans were way off in the trees. We did see a toucan relatively close on a night tour (it was either asleep in a tree or it was stuffed and placed their by the tour company!) but you couldn't get a photo of it cuase it was night and I didn't want to use flash as not to wake it (unless it was stuffed...)
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,764 moderator
    edited May 8, 2009
    I have a Canon 40d and a Rebel XT. When I went to Costa Rica last July I took my S5 IS. The reason? The S5 has a great built in zoom and to get similar zoom on a DSLR you'd have to have a pretty big/expensive lens. In addition, it rained a lot on some days so it was nice to have a camera I wasn't too worried about.

When we went to Peru in March I actually took both the S5 and my 40D. I used a 24-105 lens on the 40D for medium telephoto/wide and we used the S5 (which my wife carried) for zooms. We actually didn't use the zoom that much in Peru but I would suggest you HAVE to have a LONG telephoto lens for Costa Rica. So many of the animals are way up in trees (which might be far away) that you need the reach.

The DSLR (depending on the lens) will allow you to shoot in more complicated lighting conditions plus the controls will be easier to manipulate (assuming you don't just shoot auto).

If you get the DSLR (which I recommend in general!), don't think of it as a replacement for the S5; think of it as a compliment to it. Also, practice, practice, practice before you go! Last thing you want is to miss shots cause you don't know how your camera works!

If you want to see my pics (which aren't that great), there are here:

http://www.rawsophistication.com/gallery/5588431_nXkRq#342807124_pgLy6

They are mostly just straight out of the camera. Just re-sized and, maybe, sharpened a little. Since I was shooting "up" so much, you end up with blown out, gray clouds in the background and you can really see the chromatic aberration on some of the pics.

dngrCharlie, welcome to the Digital Grin. clap.gif

Thanks for your suggestions. I liked the Peru images in your other thread.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums