Black Rapid - My wife is now freaked out

Comments

• Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2011
    insanefred wrote: »
    I saw that spider system, it looks pretty cool. I was thinking about getting it, but I also thought how some police officers have back pain carrying duty belts (I have a weak back). Would the spider system do that to a full time professional? You may end up getting suspenders to hold up the belt too, know how heavy camera gear can get. Which is counter productive to the goal of "taking off your shoulders".

Mathew, if you do decide on getting it, I would be interested in a review from you. thumb.gif

I definitely think that eliminating back pain altogether will have a lot to do with simplification across the board.

I already avoid full-size camera bodies and full-frame 2.8 zooms such as the 14-247 and 70-200. I stick with a D300 and Sigma 50-150 2.8 instead, for example, which is a whopping (are you ready for this?) 2.8 lbs lighter. Yeah.

Or, a D700 with a 35 f/2 or 85 f/1.8, for example. I might splurge on a pro-grade f/1.4 prime and add ~0.7 lbs if one particular lens really defines my style, but you get the idea. Simplify. People call me sissy for avoiding heavier gear, but my back thanks me. That, and I would recommend trying to avoid carrying anything on your shoulders, ever, if you can. Get a rolling camera bag for the heavier stuff that you don't always need instant access to. Just put a battery and your memory cards in your pocket, and you're good to go. Maybe get one lens pouch for a spare lens, or get two Spyder brackets and put a camera on each hip. A D300 and D700 with a zoom and a prime, and nothing else, shouldn't hurt that much as long as you stretch often and put the cameras down every now and then.

At least that's my hope. I'll definitely report on CameraTalk if I ever buy one... :-)

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • JustinThymeJustinThyme Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2011
    IM too anal with my gear to use the BR or Spyder. I did use a BR for a short while and didnt have an issue with it as for coming loose. My issue was the rub marks it left on the bottom of my $4k camera body. What do I use now? Canon CPS strap worn much like the BR across the chest. Just as comfortable, no rubs. The only difference I notice is not being able to pull up the camera quite as fast. Has this affected my ability to capture images? Not in the least. Its not like im in a quick draw duel with a pistol.
    Canon CPS Gold Member
  • roakeyroakey Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited February 11, 2011
    Its not like im in a quick draw duel with a pistol.
    Ansel Munden? :)

Roak
    [email]roakeyatunderctekdotcom[/email]
    <== Mighty Murphy, the wonder Bouv!
  • ShebaJoShebaJo Registered Users Posts: 179 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2011
    I got the RS-W1b for Christmas. Love it. Really comfortable, ergonomic, and feels natural... shooting and walking/hiking.
  • LaRaeLaRae Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited February 16, 2011
    Rhuarc wrote: »
    I wonder if there is any chance of emailing the BR makers and requesting a similar connector for use with other tripod QR plates? I think if a company is going to provide access to one proprietary system they should provide easy access to all of the most popular ones. (Yes, that was a very light jab at Smugmug and their Apple loving /Android hating ways =P )

The team at BlackRapid is working steadily on solutions for all tripod companies. It takes a little time as the hardware goes through extensive testing before releasing it.
  • ShulvyShulvy Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited February 17, 2011
    I used the Spider Holster for the past wedding season and I absolutely LOVE it. I've got two Spiders on a ThinkTank Pro Speed belt and I will not be going back to straps any time soon.
  • billythekbillythek Registered Users Posts: 104 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2011

I just wanted to ease my wife's concerns.

With no real statistical data to back this up, I'd guess that >99% of Black Rapid users have no problem. However, that <1% that have had a $5K camera+lens fall on concrete are a little miffed.

It has happened to some.
    - Bill
  • RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited February 21, 2011
    billythek wrote: »
    With no real statistical data to back this up, I'd guess that >99% of Black Rapid users have no problem. However, that <1% that have had a $5K camera+lens fall on concrete are a little miffed.

It has happened to some.

I would say there is a <1% of users of every camera holding system out there that have had failures. Including BR, Spider, other straps, other holsters, bags with zippers failing, tripods with mounts that come off, QR plates failing, etc...I think <1% is so statistically small that it cannot be looked upon as a trend for the product, but rather the inherent risks of using any mechanical system to hold a camera. Things break...as long as it remains <1% of users then I consider it insignificant for purposes of determining product quality...

Just my 10 cents wirth! :D
  • ImageX PhotographyImageX Photography Registered Users Posts: 528 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2011

Have any of you guys had any problems with the Black Rapid strap breaking or the tripod mount pulling away from the camera body?

Also... anyone use there double strap? How do you like it?

I have 3 BR straps and they are my #1 most recommended piece of photography equipment. I was unsure about them before I bought them(due to camera falling) but I have been using them for almost a year now without a failure of any kind. My camera connectors never come loose either... due to the rubber washer. I have a RS7, a DR1 Double Strap, and Black Rapid just sent me the new RS Sport strap for free! They are always giving straps away and involve customers in testing. I also use the new T1 connectors for my RC2 plates which is REALLY convenient sometimes. I love every one of my BR straps and they will completely change the way you shoot and carry your cameras. You are just so much more mobile with them as well.... even in the densest of crowds. Neckstraps are a downright horrible and ancient design! I guarantee that once you try a BR strap for a few days, you will kick yourself hard for not getting one sooner and will NEVER go back to an awkward neck strap again. If you use a two camera set up, you will be completely amazed at how awesome it is to shoot with the double strap. It's like your not even carrying two cameras on you at all... until you need them, and then they happen to be right there at your hand.. ready to fire at a moment's notice. It's much better than fumbling with your tangled neck straps and missing shots. The double strap couldn't be any more perfect for wedding photographers or any two camera user. I know I REALLY sound like a Black Rapid ad but it really is awesome how much a simple strap changes the game. The way your camera glides up the strap right to your eye is really fast too. You can walk or run with both hands free and still have nothing swinging or bouncing on your chest. No hand needed to steady the camera anymore. You can lock your camera at your side or behind your back now. A modern photographer uses a BR style strap and that's all there is to it. It's not one of those things of preference either. One style is simply MUCH more functional and convenient than the other.

Laughing.gif @ neck straps!
  • dbvetodbveto Registered Users Posts: 660 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2011
    Thanks for pointing me to this strap. I have been using a Camera Slingers "Dual Deluxe" and although I have been happy with wearing it I have been unhappy with the support. I lost one of the connectors and have not been able to get a replacement I have contacted them and was told yes we have them but no further response when I say I want to order one.
    So I will be a new owner of
    RS DR-1 Double Strap
    Dennis
    http://www.realphotoman.com/
    Work in progress
    http://www.realphotoman.net/ Zenfolio 10% off Referral Code: 1KH-5HX-5HU
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2011
    I saved a few $ and bought an Optech Dual Harness......I have no qualms about it at all really......I had to really shorten the camera straps and have them velcroed so I did not have to cut them......all in all they work and keeps the weight off my neck......just what it is supposed to do.

I can hang my D300+50-500 on it alone with no problems.......the 50-500 on a neck strap really made my neck hurt....this replaces my Crooked Horn Outfitters Bino Rig I was using........and my Smuggy straps............
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• hogheadhoghead Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited March 10, 2011
    I thought the price was a little steep for the straps but I now have the single and double straps. Would never go back to a standard shoulder strap!. I photograph lots of motorcycle and automotive events and to have a wide angle and a long lens ready at all times is worth every penny! This allows me to carry two cameras and have my hands free at all times and not having the bother of lugging around a bag too. I've had tons of photographers come up to me and ask about the straps and say they're placing their order the next day!
    Pentax K10D, K20D body, PENTAX-DA* 16-50mm f/2.8, PENTAX-DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Pentax DA* 300mm f/4, Pentax DA 10-17mm, Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 II EX DG MACRO HSM, Pentax DA 18-250mm F3.5-6.3, Pentax Super Takumar 200mm f/4,
    Pentax FA 50mm F1.4, Tamron SP AF28-75mm F2.8XRDi, Pentax AF-540FGZ flash
    Hog Wild Photography
  • SportymonkSportymonk Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited June 6, 2012
    My safety system for my BR
    I had heard of reports of the cameras separating but nobody would confirm if it was the screw coming undone or the clip weld failing at the swivel joint. (Hope I described that correctly). Anyway, here is my safety system and also how I fasten to a RRS L Bracket. The scuff on the camera body is from originally not sliding the L Bracket over just a smidge to have room to disconnect the clamp. Oh well, minor battle damage on a well used camera.
    Eagles may soar but foxes don't get sucked into jet engines!
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2012
    Just an update since this thread was resurrected. I've had my original BR strap now for a few years. It's the original strap with the original connectors. I have yet to have any problems with it. It has never broken or come loose from the camera. Completely happy with the strap. BUT...

On a recent trip to the beach. I had the strap removed entirely from my camera and stowed in a mesh pocket on my backpack. The little star-shaped ring (pictured) worked it's way loose and fell off. I lost it. Really bummed about it. I just ordered the new Fasten-R3 to replace it and hope it works as well as the original.

RSTRAP%20_01.jpg
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2012
    Love my Black Rapid. Totally earned its keep during my week walking the streets of Kyoto.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited June 9, 2012
    Here's a more current link for TrekPak.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • WernerGWernerG Registered Users Posts: 534 Major grins
    edited June 22, 2015
    I would like to resurrect this old thread to ask about the FR-T1 connector that is used to connect the BR strap to a manfrotto RC release plate. I just had my 3 year old Carry Speed strap drop my D7100 with the 300mm, f/4 D and the x1.4 TC attached... onto the couch!!! Whew. The socket wore enough to let the ball slide through at one particular angle. I'm suddenly in the market for a replacement strap. I do use a manfrotto monopod quite a bit and I want to be able to attach to their head easily. With the Carry Speed I could attach the release to the Carry Speed's base plate. Nothing to remove if you don't mind the strap dangling.

I see how the BR connection works by replacing the Manofrotto ring with a BR ring but the BR ring scares the hell out of me. It is a hinged version of the solid metal connector that comes with the basic BR sport strap. The hinge looks tiny and it is the only thing between 5 lbs of expensive optics and electronics and disaster.

Is anyone using this hinged FR-t1 connector with heavy gear? For how long?
  • jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2015
    Since this thread is resurrected.....

I have been using BR for a few years. Instead of attaching them with the provided bracket, I have been attaching them to the left eyelit of the camera. I have had it support a D3s/Sigma 120-300 and no problems. I don't baby my camera either.
    edited June 23, 2015
    jonh68 wrote: »
    Since this thread is resurrected.....

I have been using BR for a few years. Instead of attaching them with the provided bracket, I have been attaching them to the left eyelit of the camera. I have had it support a D3s/Sigma 120-300 and no problems. I don't baby my camera either.

Is that comfortable to carry that way? How does the lens hang, down or sideways? The D7100/300mm, f/4 is approaching 5 lbs. In theory I should be attaching to the lens collar.
  • Gary752Gary752 Registered Users Posts: 934 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2015
    Check these out I purchased the single and the double.

GaryB
    GaryB
    “The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams
    edited June 23, 2015
    $9 ? Don't they know that it is being used on expensive camera equipment and should cost $90?

I like the connection method. I'd worry a bit about a no-name brand with heavy equipment. How much weight are yours carrying.
    edited June 24, 2015
    WernerG wrote: »
    Is that comfortable to carry that way? How does the lens hang, down or sideways? The D7100/300mm, f/4 is approaching 5 lbs. In theory I should be attaching to the lens collar.

It usually hangs down, but it is comfortable. With longer heavier lenses I am usually holding the lens, but this is more out of not having heavy weight pressed against my body and I don't want to put too much stress on the mount. If I need to go hands free for a moment I have not had any worries about it dropping.

I do find it has to be on the left eyelet though. If it's on the right side the strap will get in the way when grabbing the camera for a shot which defeats the purpose of the BR.
    edited June 24, 2015
    Thanks for the info Jon. My main concern is safety when the big lens is on. I expected to attach the strap to the lens collar. But I wouldn't be walking long distances with that lens on so maybe I don't have to attach to the lens. My main bag is backpack that is very comfortable and I would use that to carry the kit. The strap would only be used during actually shooting. Lots to think about, thanks again.
    edited June 24, 2015
    I've shot entire football games with the D3s/120-300 like this with the strap attached to the eyelet. When walking around I just support the lens with my hand, and I can keep a mono-pod attached too.
    WernerG wrote: »
    Thanks for the info Jon. My main concern is safety when the big lens is on. I expected to attach the strap to the lens collar. But I wouldn't be walking long distances with that lens on so maybe I don't have to attach to the lens. My main bag is backpack that is very comfortable and I would use that to carry the kit. The strap would only be used during actually shooting. Lots to think about, thanks again.
    edited June 24, 2015
    I just found this and I'm thinking it is a good way to go.

Joby Ultra Plate

No hinges, no moving parts, just metal on metal. The BR connector goes on one end, the Manfrotto plate the other. No switching.... and $20. It is already an arca plate. I wonder why Manfrotto doesn't make an RC plate with extra space for more attachments.
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2015
    well..since this thread is resurrected..I have found a replacement for the BR. The Peak design strap and clasps work better. The one big issue I had with the BR is that the camera "flopped" around my behind. It was always spinning and bouncing around. The peak design eliminates that. I just used it for 2 week vacation wear I had the camera on me for 30-40 hours and it worked great. The design is such that the camera can not rotate and flop around. It's just a better design.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2015
    Qarik wrote: »
    well..since this thread is resurrected..I have found a replacement for the BR. The Peak design strap and clasps work better. The one big issue I had with the BR is that the camera "flopped" around my behind. It was always spinning and bouncing around. The peak design eliminates that. I just used it for 2 week vacation wear I had the camera on me for 30-40 hours and it worked great. The design is such that the camera can not rotate and flop around. It's just a better design.

Daniel...

That's good to know. I bought the Peak Design Capture Clip. I used it during my 11 day trip to Europe last week. Love it. Even handled my D800 and 70-200 f/2.8 with no issue. Their system is all compatible so I may now pick up their strap since you like it.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • esheatoesheato Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
    edited June 27, 2015
    Been using the BR for about a year.

My setup is a FastenR through a Manfrotto RC2 into a 1Ds and 70-200 f/2.8. No problems or close calls.
    edited June 28, 2015
    esheato wrote: »
    Been using the BR for about a year.

My setup is a FastenR through a Manfrotto RC2 into a 1Ds and 70-200 f/2.8. No problems or close calls.

Thanks esheato; Is it really faster to disconnect the BR from the FasterR rather then just unscrew the original connector from the camera/lens and screw in the RC2? I've only had the BR for a few days but seems quicker to just unscrew the connector than to fiddle with the clasp.
  • TreTimTreTim Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited September 9, 2015
    Since no one mentioned this story yet, I thought I would post it.
    https://fstoppers.com/business/blackrapids-customer-service-team-goes-above-and-beyond-30483