Street & PJ 2009 Year in Review Entry Thread

RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator
edited January 12, 2010 in Street and Documentary
The gallery for our Street and PJ 2009 Year in Review is now available. Please read this post before you access it.

You do not need to have a SmugMug account of your own to view, post or comment. This is open to everyone.

Click on the link below to view the gallery. You may view the gallery and leave comments without logging in but you must log in to upload photos. If you have participated in the Dgrin Sharp Shooter Challenges, the upload process will be familiar, but note that the login ID and password are new. To log in, enter DgrinExtras for Email and 2009yir for password. The password is case sensitive

To Upload:
In order to upload your pics, first make sure that you are not logged in to your own SmugMug account, then follow the login instructions at the top of the gallery. Don't forget to add a title and your Dgrin name as the caption of each pic. When you are done uploading, please log off.

To Comment:
To enter comments on individual pics or the entire gallery, it is easiest if you are logged in to your own SmugMug account when you access this gallery. Your SmugMug name and avatar will appear automatically with your comment. If you are logged in to the YIR gallery when you comment, the comment will be shown as coming from DgrinExtras (stupid computers), but you can put your Dgrin name in the text if you like. If you are not logged in to any account you can leave a comment under any name you like, but you will have to put up with captcha torture each time you post a comment. Sorry about that.
Warning:
SmugMug members will recognize that a wide variety of customization tools are available when logged in. Please do not change any of the gallery settings. If you don't like the way something looks or want to have a pic deleted, send me a PM.
Click here to access the Street & PJ 2009 Year in Review gallery. If you run into trouble or have questions, please post them in this thread so that everyone gets to see the solution. Comments on pics should be posted in the gallery itself.

Remember, we want your three favorite shots taken in 2009. :thumb

A bit of fine print:
  • The gallery is right-click protected and the largest viewable size is SmugMug XL.
  • Remember that we hope to produce a book from this gallery, so make sure that the version you upload has enough resolution for a good print.
  • If you would like to post in the gallery but do not want your pics included in the book, you may send me a PM and I will make sure they are not printed.
  • The gallery is set to sort by picture date, so if you want to indicate which is your number one, two and three, you should include that in the caption.
  • There is currently no way to copy pics into this gallery from another SmugMug gallery. Sorry.

Comments

• michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2009
    Richard, et al. Thanks for the effort to set this up. Please be aware though that there is a bug for commenting on Smugmug galleries for those without access to Facebook (i.e. those behind the Great Firewall of China or other restrictive firewalls) due to some selective scripts from Facebook used within the commenting system. As such, I can't comment in any Smugmug gallery unless I'm outside of China.

This is a known bug, but no action or response has been had from the Smugmug team to correct the issue.

Still, looking forward to seeing other's best of images!
  • lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2009
    Richard,
    This is just the coolest thing. Glad to be a part of it.

Ok I already ran into a problem, which I'm sure is user related. I posted my shots in there already, but when I click on them the sizes available are only small and medium. Is this a problem?

should I try once more? I don't think I used "owner save" perhaps that's the problem? ne_nau.gif

Does it matter?

Also, I used my Dgrin name--didn't know if I was supp to use my full name or not--I imagine my work will be valuable one day and people may want to purchase this book in the future rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif I crack myself up (about "my work", not the book--gotta remember that humor sometimes doesn't always translate when typed)

Thank you in advance.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,893 moderator
    edited December 14, 2009
    Richard,
    This is just the coolest thing. Glad to be a part of it.

Ok I already ran into a problem, which I'm sure is user related. I posted my shots in there already, but when I click on them the sizes available are only small and medium. Is this a problem?

should I try once more? I don't think I used "owner save" perhaps that's the problem? ne_nau.gif

Does it matter?

Also, I used my Dgrin name--didn't know if I was supp to use my full name or not--I imagine my work will be valuable one day and people may want to purchase this book in the future rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif I crack myself up:)

Thank you in advance.

Hi Liz,
    Did you accidentally upload small files? The info tab shows 40 to 50k for your pic sizes. Try uploading full sized files. If it works, I'll delete the small ones.

No rules about the name. Put whatever you want. :D
    edited December 14, 2009
    Richard wrote:
    Hi Liz,
    Did you accidentally upload small files? The info tab shows 40 to 50k for your pic sizes. Try uploading full sized files. If it works, I'll delete the small ones.

No rules about the name. Put whatever you want. :D

Ok I will do just that--give me an hour though.
    Thanks Richard.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • PattiPatti Registered Users Posts: 1,576 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2009
    This is going to be great!
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer
    ... I'm still peeling potatoes.

patti hinton photography
    edited December 14, 2009
    VICTORY!
    I did it---It's in there correctly now with all the photo EXIF and sizes.

Thank you much Richard:)
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited December 14, 2009
    VICTORY!
    I did it---It's in there correctly now with all the photo EXIF and sizes.

Thank you much Richard:)

Cool. I deleted the small ones. thumb.gif
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited December 14, 2009
    michswiss wrote:
    Richard, et al. Thanks for the effort to set this up. Please be aware though that there is a bug for commenting on Smugmug galleries for those without access to Facebook (i.e. those behind the Great Firewall of China or other restrictive firewalls) due to some selective scripts from Facebook used within the commenting system. As such, I can't comment in any Smugmug gallery unless I'm outside of China.

This is a known bug, but no action or response has been had from the Smugmug team to correct the issue.

Still, looking forward to seeing other's best of images!
    I'm not sure what SmugMug could or should do in this instance. It isn't anything they're doing that prevents you from accessing their site's comments but rather something a gov't entity is doing.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
    edited December 15, 2009
    ian408 wrote:
    I'm not sure what SmugMug could or should do in this instance. It isn't anything they're doing that prevents you from accessing their site's comments but rather something a gov't entity is doing.

It would be nice if the China government didn't restrict access to FB or YT. But in this instance others have looked and there doesn't appear to be a technical need for the call to FB for the commenting system to work. It's purely Smugmug's decision to place the call to the script at that point in the commenting system. Here's the thread that discusses the issue. link.

Richard, I'm not trying to hijack the thread, but this has been an outstanding issue for a while and it's sort of embarrassing to not be able to participate in a project like this easily, much less being able to comment on Challenge images as well. Feel free to remove my posts in this thread, but I'd appreciate it if you could share with your Smuggie contacts that this is still an issue that impacts the community.
    edited December 15, 2009
    michswiss wrote:
    Richard, I'm not trying to hijack the thread, but this has been an outstanding issue for a while and it's sort of embarrassing to not be able to participate in a project like this easily, much less being able to comment on Challenge images as well. Feel free to remove my posts in this thread, but I'd appreciate it if you could share with your Smuggie contacts that this is still an issue that impacts the community.

Jenn,
    Problems in using the YIR gallery are meant to go in this thread, and it certainly sounds like you have a problem rolleyes1.gif. Unfortunately, there not much we can do about it. I'm sure SmugMug has the problem logged and at some point they will try to fix it, but I'm sure you understand that it must be one of many, many things that are competing for engineering attention. Sorry I can't be more helpful.

In the meantime, you (and anyone else who is behind a firewall but can post) can always give feedback. We would like all the comments to be in the gallery, but since that's impossible, post them in this thread. deal.gif
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2009
    Easy enough one of us to copy Jenn's comments into the gallery. Just contact one of us off-list to arrange.
    If not now, when?
  • thoththoth Registered Users Posts: 1,085 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2009
    rutt wrote:
    Easy enough one of us to copy Jenn's comments into the gallery. Just contact one of us off-list to arrange.
    Sure enough. I'd be glad to be your comment proxy if you need one, Jenn.
    Travis
    edited December 15, 2009
    Thanks for the offer guys. I'm actually back in A/NZ from this coming weekend for the holidays. So there shouldn't be any issues for the next two weeks. I might take you up on the offer once I'm back in China at the beginning of the year.
    edited December 20, 2009
    Sure is quiet out there...hope you guys are still sorting through your pics. :D
    edited December 22, 2009
    Maybe people are still hoping for great xmas or New Year's Eve shots.
    If not now, when?
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2009
    Done !
    Great photos in galleryclap.gifclap.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2009
    And some of us are waiting for a spare moment to do the final selection and upload. We have another week, right?

Virginia

Email
    edited December 26, 2009
    Flyinggina wrote:
    And some of us are waiting for a spare moment to do the final selection and upload. We have another week, right?

Virginia

nod.gif
    edited December 28, 2009
    I'd hoped for some good shots while in Newcastle but only got a few worth considering. Not sure I've got much to contribute to this project.rolleyes1.gif
    The use of a camera is similar to that of a knife. You can use it to peel potatoes, or carve a flute. ~ E. Kahlmeyer

patti hinton photography
  • DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2009
    Just posted three of mine! Used Jeffrey Friedl's SM plugin form LR. Worked a charm!

Some real nice stuff already there!thumb.gif

clap.gifclapclap.gifclap

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
    edited December 29, 2009
    Lovin this projectclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

I make this mistake on the challenges forum all the time, when you make comments on the photos for this gallery, remember to sign out of "DgrinExtras" and sign back in under your own name, that way we know who makes the comments.

I know some are "Guests" and I'm guessing that's because they are not members of smugmug--I'd still like to know who it is--maybe just put your dgrin name in parenthesis afterwards.
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited December 29, 2009
    I know some are "Guests" and I'm guessing that's because they are not members of smugmug--I'd still like to know who it is--maybe just put your dgrin name in parenthesis afterwards.

nod.gif Also some people have different SmugMug names than Dgrin names. So just put your Dgrin name in parenthesis and you don't have to worry about the login state.
    edited December 29, 2009
    I uploaded 3 yesterday and checked to make sure all 3 were there. Today I only see 2. ne_nau.gif

patti hinton photography
    edited December 29, 2009
    Patti wrote:
    I uploaded 3 yesterday and checked to make sure all 3 were there. Today I only see 2. ne_nau.gif

Somebody checked the Hide Photo box on one of them, probably by accident. If you were not logged in to DgrinExtras, you wouldn't see it. I fixed it. thumb.gif

Just a note of caution to all: when you are logged in, you have vast powers, so be careful what you do, please. deal.gif
    edited December 29, 2009
    Thanks Richard.

patti hinton photography
  • ChaoslillithChaoslillith Registered Users Posts: 126 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2009
    I uploaded 3 today too.

Hope they get some good feedback.
    Photography teaches us to observe again. Me.
    I am in AZ and would love to meet others from Phoenix.
  • rteest42rteest42 Registered Users Posts: 540 Major grins
    edited December 29, 2009
    Just uploaded my three....the titles suck though...headscratch.gif So glad I seem to have gone MIA during whatever that was all about...ne_nau.gif
    edited December 30, 2009
    I've been thinking we should extend the deadline for submission a few days to allow for New Year's Eve shots. All pictures must be taken in 2009, but perhaps a day or two grace period to allow for choosing and processing of shots from the very last minutes of 2009?

Any objections?
    If not now, when?
    edited December 31, 2009
    rutt wrote:
    I've been thinking we should extend the deadline for submission a few days to allow for New Year's Eve shots. All pictures must be taken in 2009, but perhaps a day or two grace period to allow for choosing and processing of shots from the very last minutes of 2009?

Any objections?

The current cutoff is 7 January. I have no problem with extending it a bit. How's 00:01 AM on Monday 11 January? That gives everyone an extra weekend.
    ear.gif
    edited December 31, 2009
    Richard wrote:
    The current cutoff is 7 January. I have no problem with extending it a bit. How's 00:01 AM on Monday 11 January? That gives everyone an extra weekend.
    ear.gif

It's 2010 where I am and I've gotten my selection narrowed down to a short list. Other than giving people a chance to return from holidays, I don't think there's much need to extend the date. But it's not a contest, so hey. thumb.gif

What's the story with the book. Is there a minimum number of images that will make it worthwhile. Would it work best if we provide a short text for each image?