Subglacial ice caves

MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
edited April 5, 2015 in Landscapes
I'm glad there was interest in my other thread. Here are a few shots from subglacial ice caves in Iceland.

1. We rode out in a uniquely decked out econoline van and then hiked across the glacier.
22015-31-XL.jpg

22015-32-XL.jpg

3. Decending into the cave found by our guide.
22015-10-XL.jpg

4. The caves are carved out by warm water which flows beneath the glacier.
22015-1-XL.jpg

5. The ice above is about 2 meters thick which allows the light to pass and create a blue glow in the cavern.
22015-2-XL.jpg

6. I ran over for this self portrait.
21915-4-XL.jpg

7. I'm not sure why I really like this one with the tripod and Oskar, our guide.
22015-6-XL.jpg

22015-9-XL.jpg

Comments

• StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited March 31, 2015
    #3, #4 and #5 are sweet! Not sure if they have numerous caves like this or this is THE one.....I have seen some stunning shots from this location......as usual....lucky light helps!
    This location + the Volcano (karaksjrfgthyjuiklo or something) with the waterfall + Northern lights around a cute little town and lake + washed up glaciers......and horses and cute birds.....yeah...ICELAND IS MY #1 goal!
  • bocoboco Registered Users Posts: 710 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2015
  • ThelensspotThelensspot Registered Users Posts: 2,041 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2015
    Very nice set. This is a good example of working hard at trying to place interesting things in front of your lens. Nice job. thumb.gif
    "Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

• black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2015
    Extremely interesting topography. Quite surreal, really, for someone like myself who is uninitiated to such features. I'm curious.....are these ice caves ever known to cave in? I'm with our buddy, Taz. Got to add Iceland to my bucket list.

Thanks for the posting.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2015
    Extremely interesting topography. Quite surreal, really, for someone like myself who is uninitiated to such features. I'm curious.....are these ice caves ever known to cave in? I'm with our buddy, Taz. Got to add Iceland to my bucket list.

Thanks for the posting.

Tom

Yes, these caves do collapse regularly in the warmer months. I believe they are only safely visited in the winter.
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2015
    Glad to hear how accessible all these sites are. I guess it explains the recent popularity of Iceland for photographers. I definitely need to make a trip in the next couple years. Did you use a service at all or do all the research and booking on your own?
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2015
    anwmn1 wrote: »
    Glad to hear how accessible all these sites are. I guess it explains the recent popularity of Iceland for photographers. I definitely need to make a trip in the next couple years. Did you use a service at all or do all the research and booking on your own?

I went on a photography tour with a fellow named Tony Prower. His web site is http://www.icelandaurora.com/

Six photographers with Tony and his friend Owen who is a geologist. It was an interesting group with nice camaraderie. I just thought about shooting. Tony took care of the rest.
  • bike21bike21 Registered Users Posts: 836 Major grins
    edited April 1, 2015
    Fun set! Must've been an awesome experience.
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited April 4, 2015
    These are awesome, Mitchell. I love that you included the "behind the scenes" shots. What a great adventure! nod.gif
  • cbbrcbbr Registered Users Posts: 755 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2015
    Fantastic stuff!
    Chad - www.brberrys.com
    If I post it, please tell me how to make it better. My fragile ego can take it.
  • roaddog52roaddog52 Registered Users Posts: 1,323 Major grins
    edited April 5, 2015
    Fantastic, surreal images thumb.gifthumb. Looks like your efforts were well rewarded. Thanks for sharing.

Phil
    I don't know where I'm going, but I'm going anyway.

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity!
  • denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,220 moderator
    edited April 5, 2015
    These are wonderful!

My favorite is #7 - your guide gives a sense of scale to the image, I like it!

--- Denise