3 months in Bangkok

crimsonbinome22crimsonbinome22 Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
edited December 1, 2015 in Journeys
Quick bio since this is my first post: I work in IT/Marketing industries and have recently relocated from New Zealand to Thailand where I've been honing my photography skills. I'm actually Australian but haven't been back for a while.

Keen to learn more about photography, hence joining the forum!

My photos so far are just from around different parts of urban Bangkok. Heading north soon I hope!

Wat That Thong near Ekkamai station: This place was very un-touristy (ie: there was no one there, thai or westerner) and many of the temples were being renovated or reconstructed. There were a couple with some quite spectacular sections though. Since there was no one there, was nice to take photos since don't feel like you are being hustled off or getting in peoples way.
2015-07-19-026.jpg

Erawan Shrine: This is a famous Hindu shrine in main shopping district. This is where the bomb went off a few weeks after taking this photo.
2015-07-12-113.jpg

Bangkok in a photo: Street dog and tuk tuk.
2015-07-26-026.jpg

Wat Pathum Wanaram near Siam Paragon: A small temple, but some parts of it make for excellent photography. Again, uncrowded so can take your time snapping.
2015-07-12-059.jpg

China town: Pretty crazy, and good fun too. Watch out for traffic!
2015-08-29-027.jpg

One of many market stalls at Pantip plaza
2015-08-02-089.jpg

Soi Cowboy, red light district. Not my scene but I dig neon lights. Need to find some guides to get better at this, my camera always overcompensates and have to fix in post processing.
2015-08-30-078.jpg

Wat Prasri Maha Umathewee: Another Hindu shrine, they are beautiful!
2015-07-26-016.jpg

A rooftop market and accompanying band
2015-07-19-208.jpg

Comments

• captnemocaptnemo Registered Users Posts: 186 Major grins
    edited September 19, 2015
    Beautiful colors, I'd love to see a more complete pic of the Hindu shrine.
  • CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,030 Major grins
    edited September 20, 2015
    Thanks for posting these and welcome to the forum. I particularly like the composition of the Street Dog and Tuk Tuk shot and the wonderful array of colors of the Hindu Shrine shot. I agree with captnemo - would like to see the full Hindu shrine.
  • crimsonbinome22crimsonbinome22 Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited September 21, 2015
    Thanks guys, see below for full shrine.

I spent last weekend at the Amphawa Floating Market, will post some shots from there soon as well :)

2015-07-26-014.jpg
  • BeautifulWorldBeautifulWorld Registered Users Posts: 64 Big grins
    edited September 24, 2015
    Hi,
    Great shots. I had the chance to visit last year and totally loved the city. Never seen so much grandeur in such a small radius.
    Here is my gallery. http://www.karthikraja.photography/Worldgalleries/Thailand-Bangkok/

Cheers
    A new member and already loving smugmug.
    Karthik
  • ThelensspotThelensspot Registered Users Posts: 2,041 Major grins
    edited September 26, 2015
    The one of the market stall at Pantip Plaza tells me you have talent. Most would not have noticed that as photographic potential. Welcome to Dgrin!
    "Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

• Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2015
    really nice sets of photos, makes me want to visit Bangkok!
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator
    edited October 6, 2015
    Crimson, this is a wonderful Journeys thread. I love the detail in that Hindu shrine shot. The builders of that had quite an imagination and incredible skill. Looking forward to more of your posts in the future.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • crimsonbinome22crimsonbinome22 Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited October 11, 2015
    Thanks for the messages guys, appreciated :)

Have been way too busy with work so haven't been able to do much photography lately, did manage to get away to Amphawa a few weekends ago, and to Rattakosin briefly this weekend.

Special Maeklong market fish and more chilies than I've seen in one place before
    2015-09-19-022.jpg
    2015-09-19-096.jpg

Then onward to Amphawa by songthaew
    2015-09-19-363.jpg

Some shots across the market itself. It's massive and can easily spend a couple of hours wandering back and forth
    2015-09-19-208.jpg
    2015-09-19-233.jpg

And lots of interesting things and sights to find. Kinda wish I'd bought a few of these model dishes
    2015-09-19-161.jpg
    2015-09-19-278.jpg

From the Rattanakosin Exhibition Hall. Lots of interesting displays and mostly english translation is available. All tours are guided though and it is a little bit rushed since there is too much to see!
    2015-10-10-016.jpg
    2015-10-10-115.jpg

A nearby temple while still on museum tour. Definitely need to go back to this one
    2015-10-10-075.jpg

Sunglasses at Khao San road. Is this becoming a thing?
    2015-10-10-188.jpg
  • ThelensspotThelensspot Registered Users Posts: 2,041 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2015
    Love the floating market shots and the hanging beads pic is fantastic! Thanks for posting the trip.
    "Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

• redbanditredbandit New member Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited November 23, 2015
    Thailand is such a beautiful country to locate to. I have traveled to Phuket, Patayya and KoSamui, on holiday, the islands are beautiful and the night life insane. I sure loved to live there! The images say it all!
  • FlyNavyFlyNavy Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2015
  • IntrepidBerkeleyExplorerIntrepidBerkeleyExplorer Registered Users Posts: 80 Big grins
    edited December 1, 2015
    Thanks guys, see below for full shrine.

I spent last weekend at the Amphawa Floating Market, will post some shots from there soon as well :)

2015-07-26-014.jpg

I was captivated by the golden Buddhas, which seemed disingenuous, entirely missed Hindu Temples.