Sunset on Ruby Beach (again!)

coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
edited July 15, 2009 in Landscapes
Danny Seidman and I went to Olympic National Park this weekend, our first stop was Ruby Beach at sunset on Friday and then Second Beach at sunrise on Saturday. The sunset on Ruby was fantastic, while the sunrise at Second Beach was overcast, but we had fun at both places.

Here are some of my favorites from the beach part of the trip. Like normal, I spend way too little time in post on these so I probably screwed them up (the good news is they didn't really need much help), but now that I posted them, I can catch up on about 3 days of sleep...

This was my second consecutive weekend at Olympic National Park, and I still can't wait to go back again.

#1:

589379480_fmtfL-L.jpg

#2:

589375494_nNR8H-L.jpg

#3:

589367728_kxEey-L.jpg

#4: I always take this same shot as I'm walking back to the parking lot, the colors are different everytime.

589370945_k5MQB-L.jpg

#5: Second Beach fog-rise :D

589388969_7nseA-L.jpg

Comments

• dseidmandseidman Registered Users Posts: 824 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2009
    So I get to be first to comment on this awesome series!

Now I see what you were doing up there near the seastacks on Ruby... All those shots are very nice. I'm glad your picture from the trail heading back up to the parking lot turned out. I took a look at mine and though the thumbnails looked good, they weren't all that great.

I think my favorite of this whole series is the last one. The black and white works very well here. I'm still trying to find out if mine from that morning are even worth processing.

Anyway, now I'm looking forward to see what you got from Hurricane Ridge and Sol Duc. mwink.gif
  • thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2009
    Great shots, Ron! You and Danny should give me a shout out the next time you do some photography, if you want the company. I agree with Danny...the b&w is very nice! clap.gifthumb.gif
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited July 13, 2009
    Man, that place is just the gift that keeps on giving. :wow

I like the colors in 3 and 4 the best. Say, is #4 tilting a bit to the right? headscratch.gif I don't think I've seen you do that before. You must be tired. Get some rest. :giggle

-joel
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2009
    dseidman wrote:
    So I get to be first to comment on this awesome series!

Now I see what you were doing up there near the seastacks on Ruby... All those shots are very nice. I'm glad your picture from the trail heading back up to the parking lot turned out. I took a look at mine and though the thumbnails looked good, they weren't all that great.

I think my favorite of this whole series is the last one. The black and white works very well here. I'm still trying to find out if mine from that morning are even worth processing.

Anyway, now I'm looking forward to see what you got from Hurricane Ridge and Sol Duc. mwink.gif

Thanks, that's really the only photo from Second Beach that was worth saving (well, that and the 5 other identical variations). I probably won't have that much time to process the rest so you'll be able to get an early start :D
    edited July 13, 2009
    thapamd wrote:
    Great shots, Ron! You and Danny should give me a shout out the next time you do some photography, if you want the company. I agree with Danny...the b&w is very nice! clap.gifthumb.gif

Absolutely, it would be great to have some company, and unlike Danny, I don't have to worry about you stealing my lenses :D Most of my trips are highly impulsive, and now that I have a car that I can sleep comfortably in, they're going to be even more like that.

Next time you feel like you're going to shoot an awesome Mt. Baker reflection let me know :D
    edited July 13, 2009
    kdog wrote:
    Man, that place is just the gift that keeps on giving. :wow

I like the colors in 3 and 4 the best. Say, is #4 tilting a bit to the right? headscratch.gif I don't think I've seen you do that before. You must be tired. Get some rest. :giggle

-joel

The trick for that shot is to tilt you head, that'll even out the horizon :D

It would be nice if I could relax in a comfortable outdoor pool, but I don't have any nearby...
  • thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2009
    coscorrosa wrote:
    Absolutely, it would be great to have some company, and unlike Danny, I don't have to worry about you stealing my lenses :D Most of my trips are highly impulsive, and now that I have a car that I can sleep comfortably in, they're going to be even more like that.

Next time you feel like you're going to shoot an awesome Mt. Baker reflection let me know :D

Sounds like a plan! thumb.gif
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2009
    I have a shot that looks A LOT like #4 :D

I like the motion in #1 and the mist in the black and white.

a very awesome place that I hope to revisit someday.
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
    edited July 13, 2009
    anwmn1 wrote:
    I have a shot that looks A LOT like #4 :D

I like the motion in #1 and the mist in the black and white.

a very awesome place that I hope to revisit someday.
    You'll be back, I'm sure. Someday I'll be in your neck of the woods too, but probably not until next year.

As for shot #4...

507302579_27TAy-L.jpg

424101900_uyY2D-L.jpg

369681337_uEu89-L.jpg

lol3.gif
    edited July 13, 2009
    569240311_sSA7V-L.jpg

mwink.gif

Aaron Newman

edited July 13, 2009
    anwmn1 wrote:
    569240311_sSA7V-L.jpg

mwink.gif

Ron: 4, Aaron: 1, I win! wings.gif
    edited July 13, 2009
    coscorrosa wrote:
    Ron: 4, Aaron: 1, I win! wings.gif

Umm... mine is wider and I have a Star!! :D

Aaron Newman

• Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2009
    clap.gif
    Black and white works for me too.
    wonderful series
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2009
    Another amazing series Ron. bowdown.gifbowdown.gif I am very partial to that b&w.iloveyou.gifclap.gif

If you ever open up one of these trips to us AZ folks, count me in. I would sure love to learn from you guys. Your work is so good.

Dan
  • dseidmandseidman Registered Users Posts: 824 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2009
    coscorrosa wrote:

At least I don't steal tripods!
    edited July 14, 2009
    anwmn1 wrote:
    Umm... mine is wider and I have a Star!! :D

There are so many replies I can make to that, unfortunately none of them are appropriate for a family photography forum! :D
    edited July 14, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:
    Another amazing series Ron. bowdown.gifbowdown.gif I am very partial to that b&w.iloveyou.gifclap.gif

If you ever open up one of these trips to us AZ folks, count me in. I would sure love to learn from you guys. Your work is so good.

Dan

Thanks Dan! If you need to learn how to drop a GND filter in the sand, I can certainly show you the techniques I've mastered over the years :D

If you're planning a trip to the NW, you might want to wait until mid August when the wildflowers are in peak bloom on Rainier. Then you can shoot Rainier one day (or two) and the beaches one day (or two). There's not a lot of planning that goes into these trips, if I'm not doing anything on the weekend and am not on call, my time is flexible.
    edited July 14, 2009
    dseidman wrote:
    At least I don't steal tripods!

I would feel bad about that if I didn't make so much money from it on ebay. But don't worry, I'll send you a 10% finders fee, to do otherwise would be shady and unethical.
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2009
    coscorrosa wrote:
    Thanks Dan! If you need to learn how to drop a GND filter in the sand, I can certainly show you the techniques I've mastered over the years :D

If you're planning a trip to the NW, you might want to wait until mid August when the wildflowers are in peak bloom on Rainier. Then you can shoot Rainier one day (or two) and the beaches one day (or two). There's not a lot of planning that goes into these trips, if I'm not doing anything on the weekend and am not on call, my time is flexible.

Planning these trips, I believe, is at least half of what it takes to get such great shots. All the other stuff is technical and once you know how to work the camera and filters it is fairly routine. Getting to a great place, and being there at the rigt time is major work. I was hoping you could do that part of the work and then I could just show uprolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifdeal.gif
  • rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2009
    Excellent photos Ron, as always. I really like the second photo in the second set very much!!

Ron
    "The question is not what you look at, but what you see". Henry David Thoreau

http://ront.smugmug.com/
    Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95
    edited July 15, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:
    Planning these trips, I believe, is at least half of what it takes to get such great shots. All the other stuff is technical and once you know how to work the camera and filters it is fairly routine. Getting to a great place, and being there at the rigt time is major work. I was hoping you could do that part of the work and then I could just show uprolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifdeal.gif

Well, the other part of the equation (in addition to the technical part and the being at the right place at the right time part) is the artistic part, which I compensate for by taking a million shots and picking the one good shot left over.

As far as time of year, the ONP beaches are good and accessible year round, you just have to watch the forecast and look for days that are not completely overcast or rainy (easier to find in summer than the other seasons), also avoid days with 0% cloud cover if possible. You'll want to check the tide chart too, low tide at sunset is the best. Rainier is at its best in August and September.
    edited July 15, 2009
    ront wrote:
    Excellent photos Ron, as always. I really like the second photo in the second set very much!!

Ron

Thanks Ron, some day I'll photograph from that spot at sunset instead of 45 minutes after :D