Doud Creek - Big Sur

StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
edited May 5, 2015 in Landscapes
Out of my countless trips to Big Sur I had never found this spot that is otherwise well known - Doud Creek. So I took every coastal access in the area where it is supposed to be at and after half a day worth of effort, found it! The entrance is kind of hidden from view, but it is perhaps the best beach out there. Some photographic elements as well that I tried to capture.

Heartily cherish all criticism and comments!

1)
1W7A5239-X3.jpg

2)
1W7A5260-X3.jpg

3)
1W7A5403-X3.jpg

4)
1W7A5511-Edit-X3.jpg

5)
1W7A5498-X3.jpg

6)
1W7A5496-X3.jpg

7)
1W7A5495-X3.jpg

8)
1W7A5282-X3.jpg

9)
1W7A5460-Edit-X3.jpg

10)
1W7A5538-X3.jpg

Comments

• CavalierCavalier Registered Users Posts: 3,030 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2015
    Sorry - no criticism. I can only say that they are all beautiful, but #8 and #9 blew me away. The composition in #9 is perfect as well. bowdown.gif
    Taz, these need to be framed immediately and hung in a place of prominence. :D

I also need to ask - did you use ND filter for #s 8 and 9 shots?
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    edited April 27, 2015
    Wonderful shots, Taz. Not sure you needed to post all three variants of the same shot in 5,6 and 7. #10 is freaking awesome.
    Great set all the way around. thumb.gif
  • StumblebumStumblebum Registered Users Posts: 8,480 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2015
    Cavalier wrote: »
    Sorry - no criticism. I can only say that they are all beautiful, but #8 and #9 blew me away. The composition in #9 is perfect as well. bowdown.gif
    Taz, these need to be framed immediately and hung in a place of prominence. :D

I also need to ask - did you use ND filter for #s 8 and 9 shots?

Thanks kindly Jo! Made my morning!
    I did use ND filter and in-fact tried to stack 2 ND filters but still having issues with shadow being cast from one on the other. Research shows that if I put black tape between the 2 filters, I can avoid that. Haven't tried it yet and seems like a lot of work and possible damage to filters with the glue, not to mention while you are glueing filters, light is changing.

However, if successful stacking gets under control, I could multiply the shutter by 2 raised to power 16, or 65,536! Long exposures at noon! :D

Have a good one!
    edited April 27, 2015
    kdog wrote: »
    Wonderful shots, Taz. Not sure you needed to post all three variants of the same shot in 5,6 and 7. #10 is freaking awesome.
    Great set all the way around. thumb.gif

Thans bro!bowdown.gif
    I put all 3 for sort of exercise.......the dynamic range changes so much and the way scene lights up changes because when wave breaks more light bounces around, and the mood changes based on energy....it can be tranquil or violent. Also to show that for seascapes.....you shoot same comp 25 times.....and then 1 of them will be better than the rest....just the way it happens!

This is a nice place to hang out sometime!deal.gif
  • wtlwdwgnwtlwdwgn Registered Users Posts: 356 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2015
    Nice captures of the light. I like #6 and #8 and 9 are spectacular. thumb.gif
    Steve
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2015
    Nice set with great colors and feeling.

Sam
  • lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2015
    Number 6 and Number 9 are the excellent. Composition on number 9 is most unusual - the tonal values, super straight line against rugged texture and the placement of the stone is superb! And best of all it doesn't follow that %$^&*^*) rule of thirds guideline.

I have missed checking images on Dgrin for awhile - working on a website (not a pro) and other church shots that I don't normally post outside of the church. Learned a lot about taking a photo of 33 young kids - can you say close your eyes, count to three, open AND smile - ALL 33 at the same time. It works. Well, pretty close.

Phil
    http://www.PhilsImaging.com
    "You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
    Phil
    edited April 27, 2015
    wtlwdwgn wrote: »
    Nice captures of the light. I like #6 and #8 and 9 are spectacular. thumb.gif

HI Steve, long time no see! Thanks for checking it out and kind comment! Hopefully Montana has thawed out!:D
    edited April 27, 2015
    Sam wrote: »
    Nice set with great colors and feeling.

Sam

Thanks kindly Sam!bowdown.gif
    This one is easy hike, and as far as beach go, perhaps the best in the area. So if we get 'partly cloudy' soon (doesn't look like it), but if we do, I will ping you!
    edited April 27, 2015
    Number 6 and Number 9 are the excellent. Composition on number 9 is most unusual - the tonal values, super straight line against rugged texture and the placement of the stone is superb! And best of all it doesn't follow that %$^&*^*) rule of thirds guideline.

I have missed checking images on Dgrin for awhile - working on a website (not a pro) and other church shots that I don't normally post outside of the church. Learned a lot about taking a photo of 33 young kids - can you say close your eyes, count to three, open AND smile - ALL 33 at the same time. It works. Well, pretty close.

Phil

Thanks Phil! Miss your input and posts, but sounds like you are having fun! Can't go wrong with kids!
    Yeah, #9 is challenging the rules......I considered putting it right smack in center.....perhaps next time!:D
    Have a great day! You made mine!
  • R.JayR.Jay Registered Users Posts: 974 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2015
    Hi, Really enjoyed looking at this series of shots. The clarity of #1 really catches my attention - love the simplicity of #9.

Cheers, Richard.
  • wtlwdwgnwtlwdwgn Registered Users Posts: 356 Major grins
    edited April 27, 2015
    Stumblebum wrote: »
    HI Steve, long time no see! Thanks for checking it out and kind comment! Hopefully Montana has thawed out!:D

You betcha. We actually had a very mild winter and are worried about the coming summer. Hopefully we'll get some spring rain. :uhoh
    Steve
    edited April 27, 2015
    R.Jay wrote: »
    Hi, Really enjoyed looking at this series of shots. The clarity of #1 really catches my attention - love the simplicity of #9.

Cheers, Richard.

Thanks Richard! Appreciate it very much!!
    wtlwdwgn wrote: »
    You betcha. We actually had a very mild winter and are worried about the coming summer. Hopefully we'll get some spring rain. :uhoh

Good to know! I experienced bit of that "mild" winter.....whew!
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,167 moderator
    edited April 28, 2015
    You caught some nice light in 4 through 7. I don't mind the almost repeats as I just want to be able to find that same beach even more now. Did you use some flash for the foreground in the last pic?
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
    edited April 28, 2015
    David_S85 wrote: »
    You caught some nice light in 4 through 7. I don't mind the almost repeats as I just want to be able to find that same beach even more now. Did you use some flash for the foreground in the last pic?

Thanks David! Got the light when sun broke through the cover near horizon. Usually its the opposite but here it gave what we would want.

There are even better comps for the last shot and it is still in season. My stupidity is I forgot why I went there in the first place and at the very end rushed for last shot.

I use 2 Grad ND filters (3 stops all together) to darken bright sky and get more light in foreground, and also in post, helped the foreground. The real shot here is 10 minute before I got to it, as sun is high enough and whole row of Cala Lillies is lit up. The one I caught literally is first in the row, as light had died behind it as sun was too low.

Cheers!
  • EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2015
    Beautiful images as always Taz... #8 and #9 have that surreal appeal that I like a lot! clap.gif
    But, imo... thinking back on some of your other series along the coast... I wouldn't rate this as the "best" beach
    you've captured - jmo of course.
    Eric ~ Smugmug
    edited April 28, 2015
    Earache wrote: »
    Beautiful images as always Taz... #8 and #9 have that surreal appeal that I like a lot! clap.gif
    But, imo... thinking back on some of your other series along the coast... I wouldn't rate this as the "best" beach
    you've captured - jmo of course.

Thanks Eric!wings.gif
    Long exposures are addictive!:D
    I agree in terms of photographic elements it is not as great as some other places....but if you and Mrs. wanted to hang out in soft white or golden sand, rarity in norther CA, and lots of space, and not over run by people, then this would be nice place to hang out! The experience of being there was nice. Also if the Cala Lilly shots are properly executed, then you will get couple of hangers out of it!

Always joyous to hear from you!
  • roaddog52roaddog52 Registered Users Posts: 1,323 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2015
    Great set. #5 really rings my bell, repetitive wave action, warm side light, cool blues of the water and more detail in the clouds.

8 is great and 9 is a real bonus, simplicity plus B&W. thumb.gifthumb

Phil
    I don't know where I'm going, but I'm going anyway.

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity!
    edited April 29, 2015
    roaddog52 wrote: »
    Great set. #5 really rings my bell, repetitive wave action, warm side light, cool blues of the water and more detail in the clouds.

8 is great and 9 is a real bonus, simplicity plus B&W. thumb.gifthumb

Phil

Thank you Phil! Detailed feedback helps and much appreciated!wings.gif
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,319 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2015
    Geeeze, Taz......I'm at a loss for words. Being as sincerely honest as I can be, I'll put your landscape work up against anyone...ANYONE...out there. And that includes more than a few professionals. clap.gifclap

Take care, buddy,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
    edited April 29, 2015
    Geeeze, Taz......I'm at a loss for words. Being as sincerely honest as I can be, I'll put your landscape work up against anyone...ANYONE...out there. And that includes more than a few professionals. clap.gifclap

Take care, buddy,

Tom

Too kind Tom! I am humbled and doing all I can to improve!
    Hope you are recovering well!!
  • Tom FosterTom Foster Registered Users Posts: 289 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2015
    Lovely pics, really like the colours, especially of number 4 onwards!
    edited May 1, 2015
    Tom Foster wrote: »
    Lovely pics, really like the colours, especially of number 4 onwards!

Thank you Tom!!wings.gif
    I like how you spell colours!:D
    Cheers!
  • ThelensspotThelensspot Registered Users Posts: 2,041 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2015
    Really nice colors and texture in these shots Taz! Very nice set. Your efforts were richly rewarded with some outstanding shots. clap.gifclap
    "Photography is partly art and partly science. Really good photography adds discipline, sacrifice and a never ending pursuit of photographic excellence"...ziggy53

edited May 1, 2015
    Really nice colors and texture in these shots Taz! Very nice set. Your efforts were richly rewarded with some outstanding shots. clap.gifclap

Thanks Wayne! Your encouragement means much! Cheers!!
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2015
    iloveyou.gif Be still my heart! All are stunning but the colors and comp in 5,6,7 are beyond my sensory intake. I appreciate the three different but similar shots with the water coming up to the boulder. I think I like the one surrounding the boulder. You nailed the color and just enough motion with the white caps/water. Just gorgeous!!!
    edited May 2, 2015
    Eia wrote: »
    iloveyou.gif Be still my heart! All are stunning but the colors and comp in 5,6,7 are beyond my sensory intake. I appreciate the three different but similar shots with the water coming up to the boulder. I think I like the one surrounding the boulder. You nailed the color and just enough motion with the white caps/water. Just gorgeous!!!

Thank you Anna Maria! wings.gifbow
  • WirenWiren Registered Users Posts: 741 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2015
    Glad you didn't give up the search! #'s 4 and 9 but they are all awesome!

Lee
    Lee Wiren
    edited May 5, 2015
    Wiren wrote: »
    Glad you didn't give up the search! #'s 4 and 9 but they are all awesome!

Lee

Thanks Lee! Appreciate it greatly!
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2015
    Really liked the long expo
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery