quick poll re: challenge format

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited June 29, 2004 in The Dgrin Challenges
please take part - i would like your feedback.

do you like the current format, one entry, and the separate critiques thread? 23 votes

yes
91% 21 votes
no
8% 2 votes

Comments

• cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2004
    andy wrote:
    I think yes is going to be a big majority. I would like to see it go even farther with maybe a limit of one post to the non-comment thread thus keeping the sound noise ratio there more clean. If the only thing in the one thread was the actual submissions, no comments and only images that fit the rules...

Course that is some sort of utopian dream sad.gif
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2004
    andy wrote:

I just wish you had provided a "Hell, yes" option
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2004
    from ginger
    DavidTO wrote:
    I just wish you had provided a "Hell, yes" option
    I like the critiques, I do not like only the one entry. I have said that all along, and I don't care if I am the only one to say it. That is how I feel. I liked 3 entries. If I had to give a reason I would, but it is nothing really but a preference.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2004
    damonff wrote:
    I think that the submissions thread should be one entry, no comments. The critiques shouls be one entry, and if you want advice on another, remove it. It's way too cluttered.

Interesting. I like how cluttered the critique/comments thread is. Everyone throwing out ideas and solutions.

I do agree that the submissions thread should be commentless, though.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2004
    True David. I think you're right. The critique thread should by its nature be cluttered, filled with ideas and suggestions. I think that the other one, however, should be only submissions.
    DavidTO wrote:
    Interesting. I like how cluttered the critique/comments thread is. Everyone throwing out ideas and solutions.

• wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2004
    Yes, cluttered critique. If we limit that, then each week someone will start their own new thread, and we'll be back in the same place. Let's face it, we like to show our photos and get feedback on them.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2004
    Just pictures in The Challenge, talk in the other place
    wxwax wrote:
    Yes, cluttered critique. If we limit that, then each week someone will start their own new thread, and we'll be back in the same place. Let's face it, we like to show our photos and get feedback on them.
    No matter how many entries for the main event, the Challenge itself, and it looks like it will stay at one. It is very disconcerting not to be able to go from one picture to another, I think. All those comments and critiques and whatever, compliments and stuff, they can go stay over at the preliminary event, where it even says feedback, etc, that is my opinion. I would like to just go from one picture to another in The Challenge, like an art gallery.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • WolfWolf Registered Users Posts: 154 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2004
    I feel the critiques and comments thread shouldn't be limited to one post. If we want feedback on our submissions how are we supposed to get it if we start limiting the possibilities of learning. If members are discouraged from engaging conversations, where we will be? Certainly some of us only "want" to hear from specific others, but I for one like to hear what everyone has to say. I say clutter up the threads, except for the Challenge thread.
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    I like the critiques, I do not like only the one entry. I have said that all along, and I don't care if I am the only one to say it. That is how I feel. I liked 3 entries. If I had to give a reason I would, but it is nothing really but a preference.

ginger

thanks ginger - i like how you stick to your guns.
    edited June 27, 2004
    ** to all, regarding the critiques thread **
    Wolf wrote:
    I feel the critiques and comments thread shouldn't be limited to one post. If we want feedback on our submissions how are we supposed to get it if we start limiting the possibilities of learning. If members are discouraged from engaging conversations, where we will be? Certainly some of us only "want" to hear from specific others, but I for one like to hear what everyone has to say. I say clutter up the threads, except for the Challenge thread.

the critiques thread should get very very busy. i really enjoy reading everyone's comments. yeah, it's long and noisy but so what? that's the point... imo it's much better to have everything in one place rather than having 20 separate threads to check, eh?
    edited June 27, 2004
    ** to all, regarding the main challenge thread **
    a few of you said exactly what i was thinking when i changed things this way: the challenge thread is *only* for the challenge entries. let's keep the comments and the attaboys/girls out of the main challenge thread.

this does two things

1) it makes my job easier mwink.gif

2) it makes for unbiased voting -- let's the viewers form their own opinions

keep in mind, you may put an entry in the main challenge thread on day one and change it on day 10 - no penalties and no worries about your benevolent host being prejudiced by early or late entries or changes. promise. deal.gif
    edited June 27, 2004
    andy wrote:
    the critiques thread should get very very busy. i really enjoy reading everyone's comments. yeah, it's long and noisy but so what? that's the point... imo it's much better to have everything in one place rather than having 20 separate threads to check, eh?

nod.gifthumb.gif You got the right one, baby.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    edited June 27, 2004
    andy wrote:
    a few of you said exactly what i was thinking when i changed things this way: the challenge thread is *only* for the challenge entries. let's keep the comments and the attaboys/girls out of the main challenge thread.
    thumb.gif
    Sid.
  • SeamaidenSeamaiden Registered Users Posts: 339 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2004
    andy wrote:

this does two things

keep in mind, you may put an entry in the main challenge thread on day one and change it on day 10 - no penalties and no worries about your benevolent host being prejudiced by early or late entries or changes. promise. deal.gif
    This is exactly how reefs.org handles their monthly photo contests. You're more than welcome to post a shot and ask for comments in your own thread (they don't have a protocol quite so worked out as you do here), but the contest thread is for photo entries ONLY. I can't remember how many entries each person can make, though, I actually think it's three.
    Youth and Enthusiasm
    Are No Match For
    Age and Treachery
  • snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2004
    Yep! Yep! and NO
    andy wrote:

this does two things

Yep! - Leave the critiques thread like it is. Encourage lots of comments and lots of pics for comparisons.
    Yep! - Clean up the submissions thread. Make it nice for the judges.

No! - Don't like the "Only One" rule. For now, as long as we don't have way too many members, maybe two would be good. (As a compromise?) If the number of entries gets too large, we could cut back later. :whip
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • BryanBryan Registered Users Posts: 153 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2004
    But why wait until Tursday for the next topic?
    I like the single entry idea, but why do we wait till Thursday for the next topic.

Why not open up the new topic when the current one ends?

I have found myself out of town the couple days in between topics, wishing for something specific to look for.

Just a thought.
    edited June 28, 2004
    Bryan wrote:
    I like the single entry idea, but why do we wait till Thursday for the next topic.

I have found myself out of town the couple days in between topics, wishing for something specific to look for.

Just a thought.

time to vote. time to reflect.
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2004
    What I would like to see changed...
    ... is to make the process of selecting finalists less tied to one person's taste (however benevolent). Andy, you have a great eye, and are very benevolent, but the way things are people are going to learn your taste and play to it. Sometimes there will be a great shot that you just won't see, or just won't value enough, or that will rub you the wrong way for some reason.

How about following the recent change on Fred Miranda and including the previous week's winner as a judge for the current week (disqualified from the current week, of course.)
    If not now, when?
    edited June 28, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    ... is to make the process of selecting finalists less tied to one person's taste (however benevolent). Andy, you have a great eye, and are very benevolent, but the way things are people are going to learn your taste and play to it. Sometimes there will be a great shot that you just won't see, or just won't value enough, or that will rub you the wrong way for some reason.

How about following the recent change on Fred Miranda and including the previous week's winner as a judge for the current week (disqualified from the current week, of course.)

i'm working on just such a change.

hang in there mwink.gif
  • WolfWolf Registered Users Posts: 154 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2004
    I'm thinking that might have been what Humongous was trying to communicate in an earlier thread. The only one judge thing. Just a thought...
    edited June 28, 2004
    all good things come to those who wait!
    Wolf wrote:
    I'm thinking that might have been what Humongous was trying to communicate in an earlier thread. The only one judge thing. Just a thought...

that's what my momma told me, she did rolleyes1.gif
  • cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2004
    andy wrote:
    that's what my momma told me, she did rolleyes1.gif
    "My Momma done tol' me. When I was in kneepants.
    My Momma done tol' me. Son, A womans a two face
    A worrisome thing who'll lead you to sing the blues in the night."

Now the tune is stuck...
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
    edited June 28, 2004
    rutt wrote:

's good idea, rutt. Glad to hear you're thinking about making a change there, Andy... I find myself falling into the trap that rutt describes.
    Sid.
  • AltProAltPro Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2004
    DavidTO wrote:

DiTTo, David!
    ginette
    "In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."
  • AltProAltPro Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2004
    Bryan wrote:

Just a thought.

Andy, All...
    One Entry...NO comments in the Final.
    Many entries and beaucoups comments in the prelim thread.

I am with Bryan on this one... Once the voting is over, it would be nice to be able to go on to the next assignment. Time to pause and reflect can be done at anytime throughout the assignment period. I myself don't get far from the farm except about once every 10 days, when I then have time to be out, and not have other responsibilities, for now it is a part of the life that we have chosen and not about to change until September, October... When I am out, I love to photograph... Sometimes what I shoot then is really what I would like to submit, but I have really been staying close to the rules, and not submittting those shots... I am headed out today... Again, my free day... I would love it were we able to shot from the deadline, but perhaps not post until Thursday? But, I also recognize that the rules do not change for one or two, and I am not expecting that. Just putting it out there, for discussion and consideration, NOT to muddy the waters, and stir up discontent among the ranks.
    I remain,
    humbly,
    ginette
    "In the End, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."
    edited June 28, 2004
    >>> rules change <<<
    since i have the voting for the next challenge them already ended, there's no reason why you couldn't shoot for the next challenge now.

the theme is "quality of light"

the challenge threads won't be up until thursday but feel free to shoot for it now.

the main purpose of a start time is so the people go out and get fresh, new shots.. i'm not gonna fuss over a day or two in advance of when i originally had it planned for.

so, in summary, consider the legal shooting time for the subsequent challenge to be anytime *after* the prior challenge has closed.

fair 'nuff?

AltPro wrote:

Andy, All...
    One Entry...NO comments in the Final.
    Many entries and beaucoups comments in the prelim thread.

I am with Bryan on this one... Once the voting is over, it would be nice to be able to go on to the next assignment. Time to pause and reflect can be done at anytime throughout the assignment period. I myself don't get far from the farm except about once every 10 days, when I then have time to be out, and not have other responsibilities, for now it is a part of the life that we have chosen and not about to change until September, October... When I am out, I love to photograph... Sometimes what I shoot then is really what I would like to submit, but I have really been staying close to the rules, and not submittting those shots... I am headed out today... Again, my free day... I would love it were we able to shot from the deadline, but perhaps not post until Thursday? But, I also recognize that the rules do not change for one or two, and I am not expecting that. Just putting it out there, for discussion and consideration, NOT to muddy the waters, and stir up discontent among the ranks.
    I remain,
    humbly,
    ginette
    edited June 28, 2004
    In the spirit of offering precise feedback, Andy.... :D

I kinda do see the point of folks with non-traditional schedules wanting to get an earlier jump on the assignments. Someone who's off on Mon/Tues/Weds only gets one "weekend" to work on the assignment.

The other thing that I wonder about a bit, is the limited amount of time for voting: I wonder if some folks miss voting because there's a tight-ish two day window?

Keep up the great work, Andy, this is great stuff. Thanks for inviting the feedback and listening to it.
    Sid.
    edited June 28, 2004
    andy wrote:
    so, in summary, consider the legal shooting time for the subsequent challenge to be anytime *after* the prior challenge has closed.

fair 'nuff?

clap.gif Well, that was fast! Excellent! Thanks, Andy. Great to see you be so...so... benevolent!
    Sid.
  • BryanBryan Registered Users Posts: 153 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2004
    *cheers*
    andy wrote:

fair 'nuff?
    Cool... I am on the road, again, have all evning tonight to shoot... But I left the camera at home... DOH! Guess I will just read instead :-)
    edited June 28, 2004
    enough time for voting?
    wxwax wrote:
    In the spirit of offering precise feedback, Andy.... :D

I kinda do see the point of folks with non-traditional schedules wanting to get an earlier jump on the assignments. Someone who's off on Mon/Tues/Weds only gets one "weekend" to work on the assignment.

The other thing that I wonder about a bit, is the limited amount of time for voting: I wonder if some folks miss voting because there's a tight-ish two day window?

Keep up the great work, Andy, this is great stuff. Thanks for inviting the feedback and listening to it.

i think 48 hours is enough. people will begin to get it in their system that voting is always on a monday and always ends on a wednesday. that's a long time i think.

i need to keep it short, due to my limited attention span and few remaining brain cells..... i want to be off of the prior challenge on onto the next by thursday.

i'm just one guy right? :bash