remotely turn flashes (or groups) on/off?

ApipesApipes Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
edited September 11, 2016 in Accessories
Hi! I have a Canon 6D, a ST-E3-RT transmitter, two 600EX-RT speedlights, and an ETTL cord from back when I used a 580/430s.

When I use the 6D and 600EX speedlights WITHOUT the transmitter, and instead, use the ETTL cord in optical mode with one as master and the other as slave, then from the 6D's menu system, I'm able to indicate whether I want the master to fire or not. This is awesome in my studio setup since it allows me to play with shadows/directional light when I don't want the master to fire.

However, when I use the transmitter, and have everything in radio mode, then the transmitter serves as my master and the two 600EXs are in slave mode.

It would be really awesome to be able to remotely turn on/off the firing of those slave 600EXs to preserve that same capability. I can't do it on the back of the 6D. I've scanned through the menus of the ST-E3-RT transmitter and I'm not seeing that option on there either. I'm hoping I'm just missing it somewhere??.. (fyi: I almost always individually control my flashes and use manual mode).

I can certainly walk over to the flash and turn it off when I don't want it to fire, but was hoping for a faster/easier/digital solution...

Thanks for any insights!!!

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,764 moderator
    edited September 11, 2016
    I don't have any of the Canon RF lighting components, and I'm a bit pressed for time this morning, but conceptually I believe that the transmitter can support channels and groups.

If you have all flashes set to the same channel you should be able to nullify communications to all flashes by switching channels on the transmitter (ST-E3-RT). (Or just turn off the transmitter.)

Similarly you should be able to nullify individual groups by turning off the particular group in the radio transmitter/master.

For instance, set your key light as group A, your fill light as group B and your background/rim lights as group C. You should be able to nullify just group C from the master/transmitter and temporarily kill just the background/rim lights.

Group A is always on, so you can assign only groups B, C and D for a bit more control. (The ST-E3-RT supports a total of 5 groups, with the ability to turn off groups B through E.)

Please see this PDF for some assistance in setting channels and groups:

https://www.learn.usa.canon.com/app/pdfs/quickguides/CDLC_Speedlite_600EX-RT_Radio_Setup_QuickGuide.pdf
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • ApipesApipes Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    I don't have any of the Canon RF lighting components, and I'm a bit pressed for time this morning, but conceptually I believe that the transmitter can support channels and groups.

If you have all flashes set to the same channel you should be able to nullify communications to all flashes by switching channels on the transmitter (ST-E3-RT). (Or just turn off the transmitter.)

Similarly you should be able to nullify individual groups by turning off the particular group in the radio transmitter/master.

For instance, set your key light as group A, your fill light as group B and your background/rim lights as group C. You should be able to nullify just group C from the master/transmitter and temporarily kill just the background/rim lights.

Group A is always on, so you can assign only groups B, C and D for a bit more control. (The ST-E3-RT supports a total of 5 groups, with the ability to turn off groups B through E.)

Please see this PDF for some assistance in setting channels and groups:

https://www.learn.usa.canon.com/app/pdfs/quickguides/CDLC_Speedlite_600EX-RT_Radio_Setup_QuickGuide.pdf

Thanks for your reply! I forgot to mention in my original posting that I do already have them in different (slave) groups (B and C) but will go back and check if I can turn off groups...
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,680 moderator
    Just press the Mode button to put the master into Gr mode which shows the power output for each group. Press the Gr button and use the thumbwheel to select the group you want to adjust and press the far left button labeled On/Off to enable to disable that group.
  • ApipesApipes Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    kdog wrote: »
    Just press the Mode button to put the master into Gr mode which shows the power output for each group. Press the Gr button and use the thumbwheel to select the group you want to adjust and press the far left button labeled On/Off to enable to disable that group.

Awesome -- thanks -- I will try that!!!!