Live Bait - NYC

karlabbottkarlabbott Registered Users Posts: 401 Major grins
edited September 25, 2013 in Other Cool Shots
Didn't get to eat here and didn't get to do long exposure photography in the evening as I had planned -- the neon on this place would be excellent for that!

That said, I think the locale makes for a great black and white image during the day -- thoughts?

Scan-130914-0024-Edit-XL.jpg

Comments

• JCJC Registered Users Posts: 768 Major grins
    edited September 15, 2013
    I don't really have an attuned eye for street photography, so other people would give you better feedback on that aspect, but in general right now, to me, it just looks like a snapshot.

I think it'd be improved a lot by focusing more on the subject, either the shop or the people. I'd suggest fixing the perspective distortion so you can crop cleanly on the building edges. Then crop out the partial third story, at the least- right now it's just an awkward crop through the middle of the windows. At night, I think you'd be right, the Neon would really make a big impact, and the BAR on the second story would definitely factor in keeping the second story. And I'd crop out the little bitty bits of the side buildings.
    Yeah, if you recognize the avatar, new user name.
  • karlabbottkarlabbott Registered Users Posts: 401 Major grins
    edited September 24, 2013
    Thank you for the thoughtful commentary. I think on the subject of the framing, you've hit the nail on the head and that's given me something to think about. I really do appreciate you taking the time to say more than "great shot" or "I don't like it." That's part of what makes this place a great community. :D
  • JuanoJuano Registered Users Posts: 4,878 Major grins
    edited September 25, 2013
    kolibri wrote: »
    I don't really have an attuned eye for street photography, so other people would give you better feedback on that aspect, but in general right now, to me, it just looks like a snapshot.

I think it'd be improved a lot by focusing more on the subject, either the shop or the people. I'd suggest fixing the perspective distortion so you can crop cleanly on the building edges. Then crop out the partial third story, at the least- right now it's just an awkward crop through the middle of the windows. At night, I think you'd be right, the Neon would really make a big impact, and the BAR on the second story would definitely factor in keeping the second story. And I'd crop out the little bitty bits of the side buildings.
    I agree with Kolibri's very sharp eye. I would also suggest a crop of the third floor and edges to the right. A different angle, closer or as is, but at night...