Options

Milky Way over Mt Howard

squirl033squirl033 Registered Users Posts: 1,230 Major grins
edited September 28, 2013 in Other Cool Shots
been trying to get this whole Milky Way thing right... still don't think i've got it down, but this is my best effort to date. taken with a Rokinon 14mm lens on a 5D Mk II body, f/2.8, 30 sec @ ISO 4000. i'm still trying to get the whole band of stars in the shot... it's not lack of FOV - the 14mm lens on my FF body takes in plenty of sky - i just can only see about half the band. must be a seasonal thing or something...
:( any suggestions on how to improve this will be greatly appreciated!

MilkyWayoverMtHowardsm_zps7dab1afb.jpg
~ Rocky
"Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
Three Dog Night

www.northwestnaturalimagery.com

Comments

• Options
    JCJC Registered Users Posts: 768 Major grins
    edited September 19, 2013
    squirl033 wrote: »
    been trying to get this whole Milky Way thing right... still don't think i've got it down, but this is my best effort to date. taken with a Rokinon 14mm lens on a 5D Mk II body, f/2.8, 30 sec @ ISO 4000. i'm still trying to get the whole band of stars in the shot... it's not lack of FOV - the 14mm lens on my FF body takes in plenty of sky - i just can only see about half the band. must be a seasonal thing or something...
    :( any suggestions on how to improve this will be greatly appreciated!

I like the angle of the silhouetted mountains.

The way you've stretched the edges to darken them and accentuate the milky way makes it look really artificial to me. If you want to keep this stretch in the center, maybe you could add a second layer of the sky that isn't so stretched, and fade it out towards the center,

Also, i can't seem to find on a map where you took this from, but it looks like you've got a got of urban sky glow in the corner. If you want to do more shots like this, I'd look into stacking shots of shorter duration, so as not to integrate the sky noise over the full 30 seconds. It's a bit of a tradeoff, but it helps reduce the urban glow. There are programs like Deep Sky stacker, that compensate for rotation to keep the shots aligned. Then you have to mask out any foreground and add it back in from from a single shot, and it doesn't like super-wide angle views (like 14mm on full frame), but it's a tiny bit less time consuming than driving far enough a way from any city to get dark skies these days.
    Yeah, if you recognize the avatar, new user name.
  • Options
    joe-bobjoe-bob Registered Users Posts: 368 Major grins
    edited September 28, 2013
    Still, an awesome shot.